Screens You CAN and CANNOT Use

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

leonexodio
PSN Username:leonexodio
360 GamerTag:Leon Exodio
Re: Screens You CAN and CANNOT Use

Post by leonexodio » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:35 pm

Snipeye wrote:Yes, that's usable. For that price (as long as it works) I would buy it.

ok cool thanks and im probably going to need help on finding where the audio/video,and power points r and also it have a s video in it

leonexodio
PSN Username:leonexodio
360 GamerTag:Leon Exodio

Post by leonexodio » Sat Jan 08, 2011 9:26 pm

here is the screen i found for about 30 dollers

http://img12.imageshack.us/i/dsc00220qi.jpg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

idk how big the screen im thinking about 3.5 inches
http://img525.imageshack.us/i/dsc00223uy.jpg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

here is what it has
http://img593.imageshack.us/i/dsc00224z.jpg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

me testing the screen on my ps3 lol but it fades to the bottom as u see
http://img573.imageshack.us/i/dsc00227jq.jpg/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

spacezoomer
PSN Username:qwertyuiopasssss
Steam ID:spacezoomer

Post by spacezoomer » Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:23 pm

i'm thinking about making a Portable PS1 by hand, but i can't find the pocket television mentioned in the "Hacking Video Game Consoles" book, not even on eBay. so, i'm thinking about using this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 966wt_1137" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

please don't tear me to shreds if you think this sounds like a dumb question, but will this work? "Will it blend" as they say?
Remember, kids. When all else fails, don't get mad... get the Bazooka.

Colecago
PSN Username:colecago
360 GamerTag:colecago
Steam ID:colecago

Post by Colecago » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:21 pm

Don't want to be a dick, but you can re-use some laptop screens, it really depends on the screen. If they are LVDS you can use something like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/5251-Audio-LCD-Cont ... 3f08161cb8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'd recommend updating the page to reflect this so people stop throwing away LCD screens if their controller is broken.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:39 pm

Colecago wrote:Don't want to be a dick, but you can re-use some laptop screens, it really depends on the screen. If they are LVDS you can use something like this
http://cgi.ebay.com/5251-Audio-LCD-Cont ... 3f08161cb8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I'd recommend updating the page to reflect this so people stop throwing away LCD screens if their controller is broken.
Yea I've been buying and using them for over 7 years.

But really who is going to go through all the trouble to use a laptop screen when the majority are WAY to big to use in a portable. They use way to much power (usually 1-2 amps at 12v). And the older screens look terrible.

And the guide is correct. As is .... No you can't use laptop screens. Not without modifying it. :)
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Live_Steam_Mad

Post by Live_Steam_Mad » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:40 pm

So I would like to build a SNES portable later this year and would prefer a larger screen than the 5.25" PSOne screen. What are my options? I want to keep the 4:3 aspect ratio please, no widescreens. Basically I am after a bigger PSOne screen. Any intelligent suggestions?

Cheers,

Alistair G.

killersquirel11
360 GamerTag:killersquirel11
Steam ID:killersquirel11

Post by killersquirel11 » Mon Jul 25, 2011 2:44 am

Live_Steam_Mad wrote:So I would like to build a SNES portable later this year and would prefer a larger screen than the 5.25" PSOne screen. What are my options? I want to keep the 4:3 aspect ratio please, no widescreens. Basically I am after a bigger PSOne screen. Any intelligent suggestions?

Cheers,

Alistair G.
How much bigger?

A lot bigger would be a LCD Monitor, either 15 or 17", probably. ~$100-140

After some quick googling (note that these would have to use their control boards:
$95 10.4" 800x600
http://www.amazon.com/Pyle-PLVWR1050-10 ... B004HJ3LQA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

$85 9" apparently the reliability for these things is pretty horrible...
http://www.amazon.com/PLVWR910-Screen-M ... B000E7N2FO" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who is more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him

sonictimm

Post by sonictimm » Tue Aug 09, 2011 7:28 am

hi I am on my first hack but i found a nice deal on a screen
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6882184433
yes it is widescreen, but it is also 480p which means you get all the detail you would on a large screen. you get all the text in rpgs and all the little details that you wouldn't get if the resolution was lower than 640x480
you just lost THE GAME

10kman

Post by 10kman » Sat Oct 08, 2011 8:45 pm

Ok, I know I will sound like a noob after I say this, but I want an answer and this seems to be probably the best place to ask.

I have lots of Old electronic devices I don't use. Most of them probably have the digital(?) display that don't natively support S-Video RCA etc.
Here is some I have, If you know if any of these work please let me know.

Palm Tungsten T3 (TFT Display)
Toshiba e310 (TFT Display)

PSP (I know this CAN work, but I haven't found any resources on actually making it work)

X5A Android Tablet (LCD, Not capacitive)

I have GBA SP but I am still working on programming for it, and I am not ready to tear it up yet.

Both of the Batteries in my PDAs (the Palm and Toshiba) are busted, so I would love to find a better use for them.

I am not sure of the exact displays of the Screens but I can figure it out if necessary.

Thank you for any help!
"There In front of us, There Behind us, There to are left, There to are right. Theres no way the can get away now!" Words of the wise...

killersquirel11

Post by killersquirel11 » Sat Oct 08, 2011 11:49 pm

Not sure on the PSP.

Most of the others don't seem like there would be an easy way. Unless they have a video-in port, it would be nearly impossible, unless you feel like going to a LOT of work (i.e. using a digital logic analyzer to figure out the protocol for communicating to the screen, emulating said protocol, and converting the composite signal to digital, and converting that digital signal to be sent over the protocol. So probably at least a month's work for an experienced electronics hacker...)

djbadger

Post by djbadger » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:56 am

Hi Guys,
New to this forum but have been following BenHeck's work for sometime :)

My question is would an LCD resistive touchscreen from a Binatone Homesurf 7 (1st gen) be usable in projects? I am looking to use it as a small second monitor on my new PC to 1) display temps/volts/sensors and 2) use the touchscreen bit to skip tracks on winamp, etc.

If the screen is a digital-only signal then could I use the DVI out from my 8800GTX for the display and use one of those off-the-shelf 4-pin touchscreen adaptors to make a USB connection?

This whole project is literally minutes old so there are lots of options to consider I guess.

Any thoughts would be great!

Cheers
[djb]

killersquirel11

Post by killersquirel11 » Thu Feb 23, 2012 2:48 pm

djbadger wrote:Hi Guys,
New to this forum but have been following BenHeck's work for sometime :)

My question is would an LCD resistive touchscreen from a Binatone Homesurf 7 (1st gen) be usable in projects? I am looking to use it as a small second monitor on my new PC to 1) display temps/volts/sensors and 2) use the touchscreen bit to skip tracks on winamp, etc.

If the screen is a digital-only signal then could I use the DVI out from my 8800GTX for the display and use one of those off-the-shelf 4-pin touchscreen adaptors to make a USB connection?

This whole project is literally minutes old so there are lots of options to consider I guess.

Any thoughts would be great!

Cheers
[djb]
There's a difference between digital signals and dvi (kinda like the difference between rectangles and squares). If I were to guess, based on my experience with cheap touchscreens, the digital signal required probably looks fairly similar to a VGA signal ran through an ADC. Unless you REALLY know what you're doing, interfacing directly with the screen is impossible...

You might be able to get a VNC app installed on the tablet and mount it to a virtual second screen, that'd be the easier route by several orders of magnitude...

djbadger

Post by djbadger » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:33 am

Hi guys. Thanks, I appreciate what you are saying.

The tablet itself is a pretty dire affair, and can run very little. It isn't even possible to upgrade the tom from the standard Android 1.6 it comes with. Low hardware specs and no marketplace to get apps makes it a not-that-pretty paperweight.

I was hoping to find a practical use for the screen as it does display and alright image and of course has the touch function. I have found sites that sell control/driver boards for screens that look extremely similar to mine but don't match the model number exactly so I'm not sure if that is an option or not.

I realise this could easily drift off topic for this thread so I have started a topic.

absolalone111
PSN Username:absolalone
360 GamerTag:absolalone
Steam ID:absolalone111

Post by absolalone111 » Sat May 19, 2012 1:41 pm

So, im on the list for a rassberry pi (actualy my mum has just ordered me one) but still, it has a rca video out, is there a way to hack/ solder a psp screen so it will work with it? I have no idea and im not sure, i think a psp screen can take rca, but im not certain, and i dont really want to go out and buy a scrren becasue i think it should work in a theory that is bassed on half remebered knowlage.
33%

Also resident anime weedlord

ProgMetalMan

Post by ProgMetalMan » Mon May 28, 2012 12:30 pm

NO!
Why not read the first post?
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.