Screens You CAN and CANNOT Use

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

ascentuk
Re: Screens You CAN and CANNOT Use

Post by ascentuk » Mon Jul 20, 2009 8:27 pm

ive got another screen a 7" from a proline portable dvd player , i was useing this to view my door cam , but the picture went pink and then stop displaying altogether

is that likely to be the backlight packed up and is that easy to fix , ive heard mention of led replacments

anyway i got bored and ripped the thing to bits

the electronics are with the screen housing take power and signal and i belive a switch between widescreen and 4:3

the markings on the main bord are labbled as such - followed by what i belive thay are

dc +9v -- Positive 9v Dc Input
gnd -- Ground for video source
Y -- Not sure but think its a video source
C -- Pritty sure this is the composite video in
Gnd -- General Grounding point and negative terminal for dc input
Wide -- Wide screen option
Con -- Conventional 4:3 screen

nice of them to lable up the wires for me

im presuming the last 2 need 1 or the other grounded for the screen to make a decision on how it displays

i have wired it directly to a 9v dc supply and still get the same result of a blank screen , i tryed this with and without an input

heres a link to the only place i could find an image http://www.comparestoreprices.co.uk/dvd ... 8w-sil.asp" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

i will take some photos of the main bord and the screen pcb tomorow

any help with this would be great

thanks
Reality ..... It might look the same but it dont taste the same

Fluphy

Post by Fluphy » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:51 pm

I have a quick question about a screen I found, http://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.3217, its a replacement PSP Screen. And I was wondering whether it would work in a portable Nintendo 64. I assume it will accept analogue signals because its made for another gaming console, but the installation would be different to a regular screen that has AV ports ect. So do you think it would work.

Thankyou

IRisH360

Post by IRisH360 » Thu Jul 30, 2009 8:15 pm

read the first page

"PSP: The PSP screen can be hacked to accept RGB, but you may need a board to decode composite or s-video to that point."

Fluphy

Post by Fluphy » Mon Aug 03, 2009 3:51 am

Ive done some more reading up and it seems the N64 will accept S-Video, but theres a catch, it will supposably not then accept Composite. Does this mean i will not be able to connect it thrrough to my TV, and also how would i wire up the PSP replacement screen to the N64 (i know where the spots are on the N64, just not on the PSP Screen)

P71Ryan

Post by P71Ryan » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:24 pm

Ok, been searching a lot and can't seem to find any answer. I'm sure I'll get flamed for this but are all LCD laptop monitors in digital?

snowpenguin

Post by snowpenguin » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:37 pm

Absolutely, yes, no you can't use any laptop monitors. And I will spare you of flaming.

Clumsyjunkie

Post by Clumsyjunkie » Tue Aug 11, 2009 3:27 pm

So Prolly Can't Use a Palm IIIc Screen for Nes on a Chip ?

bicostp
Steam ID:bicostp

Post by bicostp » Sat Aug 15, 2009 10:38 am

No, you cannot use the Palm III screen on any console without the right circuitry to control it.

It will look bad anyway, since those old Palm screens had very low resolution to begin with. (160x160. Even SDTV is about 640x480!)

rcullan

Post by rcullan » Tue Sep 22, 2009 10:51 am

I have a question in this regard... maybe I am completely out of my mind here but...

I found and old beast of a laptop here at work with a 15" screen that is dead. I was thinking of converting it into an N64 laptop with the same size screen. Now I know regular Laptop LCD's wont work but here is my master plan.

If I have an old Dell 15" LCD monitor at home, that has only a VGA input. Would it be possible to take the panel itself out of the case, and install it into the laptop and use the VGA connections to view the N64 video output?

Any help is greatly appreciated.
I build rocket parts for a living... really

collinE

Post by collinE » Tue Sep 22, 2009 11:25 am

usually, no. the problem is that the screen part of a laptop is made as thin as possible for portability while a normal monitor is not. You would have to remove all the circuitry from the normal monitor and put it in the bottom portion of your laptop... and that's only if the LCD fits into the laptop first.

Depending on the model of each it would be possible in theory, but I'd say not likely. sorry.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Ridonkulous

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Tue Sep 22, 2009 12:05 pm

This is to say nothing of getting the N64 to output VGA. It would require a RGB-capable N64 and a signal doubler, which would likely be prohibitively expensive. If it's been done, I've never seen it.

Zer000

Post by Zer000 » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:05 am

so whats now important to choose the right screen,
1. that it has got an analog video input(VGA ?)
2. that it use not so much electricity

whats important or which can I use .. what are the minimum standards ?

PERMASPOOKED

Post by PERMASPOOKED » Thu Oct 15, 2009 12:28 pm

Are there any portable tv's that wont work? Im looking to start one of these projects. I have a really old casio citizen 2.5 analog tv laying around. That should be ok right?

gamemasterful

Post by gamemasterful » Fri Oct 16, 2009 3:55 pm

Anyone know if the V.Smile games work? They have an LCD screen and you can also watch the V.Smile games on the TV.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Fri Oct 16, 2009 6:02 pm

gamemasterful wrote:Anyone know if the V.Smile games work? They have an LCD screen and you can also watch the V.Smile games on the TV.
No they have to have a video input NOT output.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance