PSOne screen on 12v?

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

CronoTriggerfan
PSOne screen on 12v?

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sat Sep 23, 2006 10:44 pm

I remember seeing this thread a while back on the max voltage of a PSOne screen. Now I've got my makeshift 7808 built out of a 7805 and a couple resistors, and I ran the screen off of 12 volts with the regulator for about 30 seconds with no problems. Unfortunately, my multimeter crapped out on me, so I have no way of testing if my makeshift 7808 is actually regulating power correctly. So before I run the screen off the batts for any substantial amount of time to test the heat, I ask you this: Would a PSOne screen running off of 12 raw volts fry instantaneously, or would it take time? It seems a good amount ahead of the supposed max voltage, so I wanted to make sure!

Thanks,
CTFan

paul4990

Post by paul4990 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 2:09 am

it will make the screen go funny until the powwer goes back to normal.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:54 am

Uh, no paul, it would blow the fuse automatically.

CronoTriggerfan

Post by CronoTriggerfan » Sun Sep 24, 2006 10:08 am

Skyone wrote:Uh, no paul, it would blow the fuse automatically.
See, I thought the same thing, although gannon said that it probably would just distort the screen. Oh well; neither of these things happen for me, so my regulator must be working. However, it seems like a useful discussion to have for others who need this info.

CTFan

eastsider_1

Post by eastsider_1 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 3:57 pm

Well, if you jump the fuses you can run it off of 12v, but the screen inverts the colors. I did this on my PS2M when i didn't have a 8v reg. You problably could but you would have to do some research onthe video chip to re-invert the colors to normal. This is what i have done, but you can do this at your own risk. :D
PS2M-99% -Final Stages of the 1st O.G. PS2 Portable (Will this ever get done??)

PSTwoSP- 50%
Rewiring Controller, LED Modding Screen

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Sun Sep 24, 2006 4:10 pm

yeah, the colors invert if the voltage is too high. i know because my PSU for my screen suplied 12v, instead of the 7.5v it was supposed to be
ImageImage

Retromaster
Portablizer

don't do it

Post by Retromaster » Sat Nov 25, 2006 9:12 pm

DO NOT DO IT is my opinion. The regulator on the PS1 screen board can only take so much voltage. IT WILL FRY IF YOU DON'T USE A SEPERATE REGULATOR!
http://portableuniverse.forumcircle.com/index.php? http://mtac.profusehost.net/ Image SAY ALLO TO MY LITTLE FRIEND!!!i finally used google!!

sammy

Post by sammy » Sun Nov 26, 2006 3:47 am

9V is maximum imo. If you go any higher than that you might damage the board.

I tried it at 12V too and the RGB was all messed up, you'll also get lots of crap on your screen so it'll even look worse than composite.

csurban
Portablizer

Post by csurban » Sun Nov 26, 2006 10:55 pm

I’m guessing there is a reason the screen does not run off of 12v natively. imo, you could probably get it to work but the real question is if you really want it too? since the components receiving raw voltage are not rated and heatsinked for that voltage, they may be at risk of overheating or failing in the near future.
nope... can't think of anything I could possibly want to put in my Signature Block...