Woo $40 Screen!

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

Sword_Gun
Woo $40 Screen!

Post by Sword_Gun » Sun Jul 02, 2006 3:36 pm

I got this today at a flea market, $40 CAN, Looks Like a PS1 screen but its made by a company called: Inter-Act.

They had a website called: www.interact-acc.com , But it doesnt exist anymore.

Anyone ever use these screens?

Heres a picture of the box, and screen

Thanks,
Sword

EDIT: Okay, I bought one of those Head phone plug to Av plug things, and The guy said it works with the screen, So I plug it in, I turn the screen on, and set the Screen to A/v, and then I get no picture, and a Buzzing sound (VERY LOUD) from the screen... The buzzing sound also changes everytime I press a button on my controller (Its hooked up to my NOAC, not the PS1, )

What could be causing this? Everythings plugged into the right spot, but theres one thing that catches my eye.. Usually when You plug a AV cord it, It like sticks in, but mine are like too big, and they just "rest" in the plug holes... Could that be the problem?

I know I didnt fry it or anything, as I used everything the screen asks for, Any help?

Oh and the Power adaptor that came with the screen, is
Input: 110V 60Hz 18w
Output: 12v DC 500ma (12 VOLTS!! HOLY!)

-Sword

Official Beta Quest Hunter
Official Alpha Quest Hunter

NES NOW!!: DONE!

Corscaria

Post by Corscaria » Sun Jul 02, 2006 5:19 pm

sounds like you have the video and audio crossed.
try plugging in just the vieo cable, if that doesn't work, try a different plug in the video jack, and so on.

Once you have the video cable right, iy's only a 50:50 chance wether you have the audio backwards or not.

Sword_Gun

Post by Sword_Gun » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:11 pm

I know I dont, becuase Video is Yellow, and my yellow cable is going into the Yellow plug.

Corscaria

Post by Corscaria » Sun Jul 02, 2006 7:35 pm

yes, but if the cable isn't specifically intended for this LCD, the "head phone" plug may be wired up different, as there is NO standard for video over those plugs. Just try it, before you decide thats not it.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:09 pm

that screen looks square...? is it 4:3?

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

Sword_Gun

Post by Sword_Gun » Sun Jul 02, 2006 8:34 pm

The screen is square, but the case is round (I think the board inside is round also)

and How do I find out the Refresh rate? (I dunno if its 4:3 or not)

and WOMAN I LOVE YOU (Err not really :p), Yep, Just as you told me, I had the cables crossed, Yellow was audio, and white is video... sweeet.

Edit: 3 more problems,

1) After a few minutes of playing and resetting becuase I always lose (LOL), the sound starts to go Sllllloooooowwww mooooooooo.. Weird.

2) On the Screen case theres 2 holes and lettering beisde, One says "Color" and one says "tint".. In those holes.. I think theres supposed to be buttons.. but their isnt...

3)The colors on the screen.. are.. Ewww. I was playing a game called arctic Adventure, and the Polor Bears are supposed to be white.. and they are yellow, and also the small lettering hypnotises my eyes...

Any help?

Kurt_
Portablizer
Steam ID:kurbert

Post by Kurt_ » Mon Jul 03, 2006 10:55 am

For 1:
Sounds like a heat issue. If worst comes to worst, buy a seperate audio amp.

For 2 and 3:

On the PCB there should be tact switches or something where the holes are. Try fiddling with those.
Hey, sup?

Sword_Gun

Post by Sword_Gun » Mon Jul 03, 2006 12:00 pm

There isnt, its just some white thing with a Line shaped whole going across it...

and It doesnt even get hot at all, and I fixed the slowmo problem :)

Corscaria

Post by Corscaria » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:41 pm

It's not related to the Sony LCDs at all, it just looks like it. It's likely a poor quality screen. InterAct went bankrupt some time ago, like do to poor quality merchandise. The oblything they made worth while, was the Gameshark, and that was just an Action Replay rebranded by them.

If you see an actual Sony LCD or any of the others with the same internals (listed elsewhere on these boards, jump on it.

A line shapped hole, sounds like it uses a slider potentiometer, easiest source for those are old radios. ifcourse likely the slider pot is still there it's probably just missing the piece of plastic that extends it outside of the case.

If you can get something, preferebly plastic to stick in there, you should beable to slide it around to improve the color and tint.

Ofcourse seeing yellow where the white is could also simply be that the protective plastic infront of the LCD panel is yellowing, plastics do that as they get old. If thats the case just remove it unless it's part of the LCD itself.

Sword_Gun

Post by Sword_Gun » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:47 pm

The white circle thing with a Line shaped hole says "EOS" in black lettering on it, and Inside the hole theres like 1 Metal pin on each end of the hole.

Its a good enough screen for me, This is my first portable with a screen. (All my others fried)

It has pretty good quality for a 4 or 5 inch screen.
(Its not the BEST quality, but its somewhat above average.... I think)

Corscaria

Post by Corscaria » Mon Jul 03, 2006 2:54 pm

I'd have to see a close up of what you are describing, to know for sure. But i did confirn my suspicions, the screen is utter crap. The screen is identical to one Pelican released.

A review i just read on it mentions the sounds problem you were having, as well another problem. With extended use the screen will over heat to the point of turning black. The review also noted the base gets extremely hot and considers it a firehazard.

Sword_Gun

Post by Sword_Gun » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:04 pm

Seen it, Its lying.

Wanna know how I know? Wanna? Wanna? Wanna? Wanna? Wanna?
Okay fine.

I used the screen for 45mins - 1 Hour, and The power adaptor stayed Ice cold, and screen stayed fairly cold, except on the reverse side of the speakers, that part got only a Tiny bit hot.

and that slowmo sound was My tact switch getting stuck on reset..lol

Corscaria

Post by Corscaria » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:08 pm

It's probably not lying, it is more likely they fixed the overheating problem in the revision you got. Companies never finalize the design, they just decide when it's good enough to ship, if they can make it better later, they will. As long as it doesn't cost them more that is.

Sword_Gun

Post by Sword_Gun » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:21 pm

Okay heres a picture. (Or 3 :) )

I hope they are good enough pictures to be identified.

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Mon Jul 03, 2006 3:37 pm

Those look like trimpots. Just stick a small screwdriver in and turn slowly.