New Guy Needs Some Hip Gear Screen Help

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

Brandon
New Guy Needs Some Hip Gear Screen Help

Post by Brandon » Wed May 17, 2006 4:27 pm

Alright so I got a FC Game Console and a Hip Gear. I need them to become one to make Captain Planet. The problem is that when I hook the video up (that being the wire from my FC Game Console that the yellow Video jack came from to the yellow wire on my hip gear) i dont get any video. The sound works fine, and i cant explain to you the fustration of listining to the Super Dodge Ball theme and knowing I cant Bebop and Rocksteady those Thunder USSR Guys. So the speakers and everything work, its just I only get a white lit screen on my HipGear Screen when everything is hooked up and that bloody theme song. So please someone point out the obvious mistake i have made so i can make this beast work.

timmeh87

Post by timmeh87 » Wed May 17, 2006 4:53 pm

did you connect a ground from the system to the screen?

"Linux is only free if your time is worthless"

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Wed May 17, 2006 5:14 pm

No Clue =D I-R-Noob

StuntMonkey

Post by StuntMonkey » Thu May 18, 2006 5:10 am

Wouldn't no video signal result in a black screen? Maybe it's just the brighness control.

demonofaj
Portablizer Extraordinaire
PSN Username:ajsen1gma
Steam ID:demonofaj

Post by demonofaj » Thu May 18, 2006 1:55 pm

Here are some trouble shooting factors, a fellow noob shall say:

A: Check if you have both grounds hooked up, both the brown and black wire have to be wired to that pin (4?) for the Screen pad relies on seperate ground signals.

B: Power...I had the same problem till I got new AA's and used the wall adapter.

C: Put all the knobs to the max.
"Life's a female of the dog species, then you die.."

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Thu May 18, 2006 6:39 pm

OK so everyone is saying its the grounds. So the 3 ground wires on the hip gear screen are the Brown, Black, and Green? And where do i connect them? And the Black on is the one that is right next to the red and white one by the headphone jack right? Right now this is how i got it set up. The White wire from the HG to the Audio wire on my console, Yellow to the video, orange and red to the + battery side, and Green, Brown, Black to the - battery side. There are no more wires for me to hook up, what do I do?

StuntMonkey

Post by StuntMonkey » Thu May 18, 2006 6:43 pm

oo, before you turn that on, red & white should be right & left audio. & about cranking the knobs up to max: the brighness control on my hip gear had the power to turn the screen completely white when it was working fine, so I'd set that one center for starters.

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Thu May 18, 2006 7:05 pm

Still Nothing, where are the grounds saposed to be hooked up?

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Thu May 18, 2006 7:08 pm

when you turn the brightness knob does the screen turn white, if not then maybe you broke one of the wires going to the backlight or the backlight just broke
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Thu May 18, 2006 7:11 pm

Yeah, when I turn the brightness knob it gets brighter and then dimmer but never black when i turn it down.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu May 18, 2006 7:13 pm

Is the LCD ribbon plugged in all the way?

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Thu May 18, 2006 7:18 pm

Yes it is, if thats the little orange ribbon from the main board without the knobs to the screen. And thanks for so much help you guys.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Thu May 18, 2006 7:21 pm

It goes from the glass of the lcd itself to the board, I don't know what hip gears look like, so this is more general knowledge than true help.

Brandon

Post by Brandon » Thu May 18, 2006 9:38 pm

Ok so it seems that the video doesnt work from my console. Like i hooked it up to my real TV and all im getting is Sound and black with like the graphics lightly outlined flying across the screen all fast, how do i fix this?

SpongeBuell

Post by SpongeBuell » Fri May 19, 2006 12:24 am

Check for shorts in your motherboard. (wires touching where they shouldn't be, etc) If you can't find anything, there is a chance your motherboard is fried.
Life of Brian wrote:
RYW wrote:RYW:

Rare
Yellow
Weasel
I'll be honest with you - I would have never guessed that.