Interesting backlight fix for PSOne Screen

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

segasonicfan
Interesting backlight fix for PSOne Screen

Post by segasonicfan » Thu May 04, 2006 12:44 am

So I got a used PSOne LCD (verge kind) and the cathode didn't light up at all. At first I thought it was just a blown fuse, but some idiot managed to bypass that and totally mess things up. However, after enough testing and work I found a nice simple solution:

The top chip lettered OZ..etc. under the transformer controls the cathode. Appearently the VCC input to this can get tainted easily (as that's what happened with my board), so to fix it simply connect +5v out of the bottom 7805 to pin 2 of that chip. voila :)

Hopefully someone will get some use outta that...

-Segasonicfan

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Thu May 04, 2006 12:47 am

Meh, hasn't happened to me *yet* but I'm buying a verge screen tomorrow, God knows what'll happen to it!

Sure to help someone.

Weebl

Post by Weebl » Thu May 04, 2006 4:57 pm

Wow, thanks a lot. I've gotta go try this out on my old screen that had this problem.
Women are like internet domain names; all the ones I like are taken
Check out my shameless abuse of free blogging here

Gamelver

Post by Gamelver » Thu May 04, 2006 7:58 pm

It's funny that you mention that :P....I had a verge screen come in today, and the cathode tube didn't work...I'm gonna do the LED mod on it, but unfortunately, I can't really see if the screen works...I know that the LCD turns on, though, because it gets dark.

I've already ripped off the transformer, so I can't do this, but good find nonetheless :).
Without games my life would have no meaning.
Well, I guess it would, but it would be a lot less fun!!!!!!!

chillwill96

Re: Interesting backlight fix for PSOne Screen

Post by chillwill96 » Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:10 pm

If this works, BLESS YOU.. I need mine done before christmas and my backlight wont illuminate.... I have 5v sese in and all, but no luck.. So, could you say more specifically the wire bridge goes to and where its from?
THANK YOU!