Assistance Needed Powering PSone Screen

If you're making a portable you probably need something to watch it on. (Unless you want to guess what's happening in the game, but I wouldn't advise that) Anyway, this forum is your "Hacking a pocket TV/screen" one-stop solution. Share your experiences and knowledge here.

Moderator:Moderators

rikitheshadow
Assistance Needed Powering PSone Screen

Post by rikitheshadow » Sun May 18, 2008 4:52 pm

Right now I am reading Ben's book for the console hacking. Trying to clear this up so I can buy the right parts and know how to wire them correctly. The PSone screen is troubling me, since the screen requires 7.5v I need a switching regulator. The book states i need a LM317T Regulator, which i can find at Radio Shack, but the regulator requires additional components in order to produce the correct voltage. His diagrams and descriptions do not help much at all, sure I can see some wiring done, but its really confusing considering some of the wiring leads off into the controller buttons......and all sorts of directions(not very knowledgeable in this field).

I just need a simple solution to powering the screen "Only," if anyone could provide me with a diagram(not symbols, i'm not that tech savy) of how to simply pull in a unregulated power source and turn it into 7.5v then direct it to the screen I would greatly appreciate it.

Example: 9.6v Ni-MH RC car battery to power the PSone LCD Screen

I want something I can try out on a breadboard before I do any actuall soldering.

reflex

Post by reflex » Tue May 20, 2008 8:20 am

Read the book completely. PSone screens do not need a switching regulator. They use a on board 7805 regulator(look in the section about LED modding the screen). You can input unregulated power to pin one on the front of the board using the following picture as a reference.

rikitheshadow

Post by rikitheshadow » Wed May 21, 2008 10:34 am

reflex wrote:Read the book completely. PSone screens do not need a switching regulator. They use a on board 7805 regulator(look in the section about LED modding the screen). You can input unregulated power to pin one on the front of the board using the following picture as a reference.
Lemme get this right, to power the PSone screen "entirely" (LED mods and all/audio/video wise) you just need to feed it +5v? It does not require +7.5v?
If it only requires +5v then why does Ben's book suggest a switching regulator to power the screen?

marshallh
360 GamerTag:marshallh

Post by marshallh » Wed May 21, 2008 12:08 pm

The PSone screen uses 5v and 7.5v internally. You only need to power it off 7.5v, it takes care of the rest (it has a couple 7805 regulators onboard for its own uses.)

There is one part on it, the chroma decoder/LCD interface, that needs the 7.5v.

I'd suggest using a 7.2v Ni-MH RC car battery pack. That would work better than your 9.6v pack. (You have the advantage of wiring it straight to the screen rather than having to drop the voltage down using a regulator.)

rikitheshadow

Oh, thats ok

Post by rikitheshadow » Thu May 22, 2008 2:25 pm

Glad to know something, sounded as though it did not need the 7.5v when he mentioned that above.

I would go with a 7.2v Ni-Cd or Ni-MH RC car battery, but i want something with more ooommmmphhh. Gonna grab a lithium ion battery that can supply a 2400-2600 mA that will increase play time by a good hour or possibly two. Some universal Portable DVD player battery you can find at radioshack for 50 bucks. Its a little much, but it comes with a built in charger that monitors temperature and provides a built in battery tester.

So i guess compiling a switching regulator and the necessary compenents should not be too much of a hassle considering I have to reconstruct controllers. I just made this post to ensure that the book provided an O.K. reference to making a power source for items such as the PSone screen.