Xbox portable is now done (updated 6/8/06)

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:08 am

Any-friggin-who:

Batteries? Good luck! :P Theoretically, you can use a 7805, 7905, 7812, and a LM317 for a power supply instead of that crap PSU.

Case? I say make it Black with Green highlight. THE EMO-BOX.

Good luck. May the crappy quality controllers and neanderthal casing of the Xbox be with you.

S q u e e !

Post by S q u e e ! » Sun Feb 26, 2006 4:56 pm

It runs on -12 volts as well as -5, so you'd need a 7912 as well :wink:
"I like my coffee like I like my women. In a plastic cup."

~Eddie Izzard

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:10 pm

or mini itx PSU to get all the voltages more efficiently
ImageImage

Electric Rain
PSN Username:Denki_no_Ame

Post by Electric Rain » Sun Feb 26, 2006 5:20 pm

Only problem with the 78XX and 79XX regulators... they're all only 1 amp. Doesn't the XBox draw more than an amp on certain voltages? Also... I know there's a reason that any other high-power PSU you look at has huge caps, inductors ALL over the place, ect. I need to know why this is. Why don't they just use voltage regulators? Is it because these more complicated PSUs are "switching" power supplies? If so, what exactly is the purpose of the "switching?"

Xiro

Post by Xiro » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:02 pm

dkap01 wrote:In japan they had the white panzer dragon one, it was all white...
i hope you recieved my return PM. Also, there was a japanese pure white 1st anniversary xbox. The panzer dragon orta one had a blue design on top, while the anniversary one is pure white everything
Last edited by Xiro on Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Electric Rain

Post by Electric Rain » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:23 pm

Okay... so... update on the batteries. I CAN NOT find those 22,000mAh batteries. I don't know why, but I just can't. Maybe it was a typo, because I've seen 11,000mAh ones. But the largest capacity NiMh batteries I can find are 12,000mAh. So, if you can't get 22 amps out of them, then you might as well just use Li-Ions instead... all of those D NiMh would have weighed about 3.5 pounds anyway. Can someone tell me how many amps on each voltage the X-Box draws? That should allow me to draw up some schematics for a PSU.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:46 pm

S q u e e ! wrote:It runs on -12 volts as well as -5, so you'd need a 7912 as well :wink:
I knew it was somewhere along the lines. The only problem, i dont think the 790*/780* series can handle 8 Amps. :?

Electric Rain

Post by Electric Rain » Sun Feb 26, 2006 7:03 pm

Thus, my point.

Skyone

Post by Skyone » Sun Feb 26, 2006 10:00 pm

Hence my horrible reading skills.

tom61

Post by tom61 » Mon Feb 27, 2006 12:30 am

For DC-DC conversion take a look at Maxim's lineup:
http://www.maxim-ic.com/PowerSupplies.cfm

The DC-DC MAX787 converter I'll be using for my uPC/PCp is from them and handles up to 5 Amps draw. I doubt any line in the X-Box takes more than 4 Amps, so they're bound to have what you'd need.

dkap01

Post by dkap01 » Tue Feb 28, 2006 7:12 am

Minkster: What I do is to vacuum form the cast flat and them do all the finish work after. Like, adding the controlls, drilling the speaker hole by hand and anything else I have to add. By doing it this way everything lines up better and I dont have to worry about it being off.

Xiro: Yes I did get it thanks.

Also I shoud be vacuum forming the shell wednesday.. I'll post pictures of it then.

Dave

kaotik

Re: XBOXp is it true....

Post by kaotik » Tue Feb 28, 2006 9:49 am

dkap01 wrote:Well if you read the boards here theres a lot of ideas going around. Like a xbox in a backpack and so on. But I think I might have a idea of how to make one. So far I've ordered to parts for the power supply and Im making the case as we speak.
Most of you know me and know that this istn't one of those post claiming to have made one. Im just saying Im going to give it my best shot and hope for the best. Just remember the Dreamcast and how hard that was. Everyone thought it would never be done.

What I have so far :

ordered the parts for the power supply
Started making the case (what color should I paint it?)
Looking into some batteries
I know for sure it will run off ac power
Going to use laptop hard drive
I dont think it will have a CD player (it uses too much power)
It will have a mod chip in it (for the hard drive and run the new dash board)
I want to keep the video out and the RJ45 plug
Memory card slot
and whatever I can think of.....

Just keep your fingers crossed and I'll give updates as I go along...

Price of this project around $500, but able to take Master Chief with you....priceless

Dave

I too have been thinking about doing this portable, but sadly have to tell you the xbox will not work without the dvd drive. I know this because i chiped my xbox. I do think the laptop HD will work.

Xiro

Post by Xiro » Thu Mar 02, 2006 5:36 pm

dkap, i was on your site and noticed that you are keeping a memory card slot, but yet you have a modchip. I would advise to just have a USB port to transfer to your HDD, as there is no point in having a memory card, plus im assuming this thing won't go on live, so no point in the communicator either.
Last edited by Xiro on Fri Mar 03, 2006 5:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Electric Rain

Post by Electric Rain » Thu Mar 02, 2006 6:58 pm

I think there's a way to get around that... I think there's a modchip that can get around Live. Same thing with the hard drive. Live checks the serial number of the hard drive when you sign on, and if it doesn't match up, not only will they not let you logon, they'll suspend your account so you can't even use it with the ORIGINAL hard drive! :shock: Besides cost, this is the only thing that has held me back from making an X-Box portable myself. What's the point of even OWNING an X-Box if you can't get online with it. :roll:

I saw a website that tells how to get around the hard drive thing, though. I don't remember how, but you basically have to rip the serial number from the original hard drive, and put it on the new one so Live thinks that's the original. But it looked too involved. So, I gave up, since I don't even really like X-Box, and decided to aim for a PS2 portable.

Krepticor

Post by Krepticor » Thu Mar 02, 2006 7:13 pm

why not have the original hardrive as a detacable hard drive? that way live can be used when desired and it can be placed in a shilded bookbag when moving about.

Also, most modchips get around live by having the ability to be cut off...this is to prevet hackers...la deed da most of ya'll knew that though... :? Right

:wink:
I refuse to dignify myself with an intelligent and witty signature