GCP underway! Sort of...

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

NES_fanatic
GCP underway! Sort of...

Post by NES_fanatic » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:42 am

I'm in the pre-production for a GameCube Portable. Nothing interesting has happened yet; I've just been making sketches and thinking out loud. I was thinking about what it shoud look like, so I decided to take a gander at the ones other people have made, and they all look like huge GBA's. I decided to go in the other direction and build mine in a style similar to Ben's second PS1P. It seems like a good way to set up the screen/disk space.

As I've told you before in other forums, I'm poor as crap, so this will without doubt go very slowly. :cry: I'll even have to depend on christmas to get a good screen (either PSone or that weird GameCube one). Then I'll buy me a Nintendo screwdriver (yeah, I can't even afford to crack the sucker open yet :oops: ) and we'll see what happens! :P

NES_fanatic

Post by NES_fanatic » Thu Dec 15, 2005 11:50 am

Oh, look at this guys. Mommy, all I want for christmas is...

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:11 pm

Dont we all wish one could be made that small.

You dont want a GameCube Screen, I've heard nothing but bad things about it and it only supports composite, far inferior to RGB.

And if you want to crack your GameCube open, there is a toutorial on portablesofdoom.org as well this Message Board that tells how to melt a Bic pen so you can use it as a screw driver.

Good luck.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

NES_fanatic

Post by NES_fanatic » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:14 pm

Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to pull off some extra modding to get the GC to work on a PSone screen, correct?

Sparkfist
Forum Administrator

Post by Sparkfist » Thu Dec 15, 2005 12:32 pm

No not really. The PSone screen has a 12 pin video connector, all you have to do is connect the audio and vido pins to the spots on the GameCube's motherboard. Its no more complecated then using any other screen.
I will say this though if you are looking to reduce power consumption, you can do the LED mod. That requres some more knowelege, but can be found on portablesofdoom.org under the screens section of the site.
vskid wrote:Nerd = likes school, does all their homework, dies if they don't get 100% on every assignment
Geek = likes technology, dies if the power goes out and his UPS dies too

I am a geek.

daguuy
Portablizer

Post by daguuy » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:32 pm

if you need more help with screws or video, that's the same as N64 so my N64 guide can help with those parts, unless you use RGB for video
ImageImage

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:46 pm

id actually recomend a GC verge screen they have a dc-dc convertor built in that will lower the voltage, so you dont have to worry about buying a 7808
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

madc0w
Location:In the ghetto of Larchmont! A HALF-A-MIL HOUSE IS GANGSER!

Post by madc0w » Thu Dec 15, 2005 3:54 pm

Turbo Tax 1.0 wrote:id actually recomend a GC verge screen they have a dc-dc convertor built in that will lower the voltage, so you dont have to worry about buying a 7808
yeah, and you could use them as you would a PSone screen (identical insides)
Kayleigh57020 wrote: "button" is insanity.
Scientology
Dangerous Cult