GCN VGA Issues

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Falco
GCN VGA Issues

Post by Falco » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:45 pm

I recently bought a D-Terminal cable for my gamecube, and swiftly cut off the Japanese connector to put RCA's on it for composite. No problem, beautiful picture. Then, when I went to mod the chip for VGA, I had problems. Plugged into my TV, there's no picture (but no "no signal" message either) when on the main menu. However, if I use composite input up to turning on progressive mode in the game, then switch back to VGA, it works fine. Plugged into my Dalian display, the gamecube menu shows up distorted; the picture is way off center and appears to be vibrating as if it's trying to calibrate. This happens all the way up to setting the game to progressive scan mode, and also continues if I don't use progressive mode.

So it appears that my VGA mod only works correctly if the system is outputting in progressive mode? Any thoughts?

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: GCN VGA Issues

Post by hailrazer » Sat Dec 08, 2012 3:57 pm

Well since VGA is progressive and not interlaced that would make sense ????
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Falco

Post by Falco » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:04 am

But does that mean that a VGA device will not accept interlaced signal? I guess I'm confused as to how other modders made their screens work with VGA but not be all messed up when playing non progressive mode games, and not have to go all the way back to composite, or even be able to view the menu in component, at least.

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Sun Dec 09, 2012 12:19 am

only some screens support interlaced VGA, but I was under the impression that the Dalton ones did

Falco

Post by Falco » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:36 am

Yeah, in Tchay's review of the screen he has no problem with interlaced VGA. I have a slightly newer model, but the video specifications don't look much different between GD50MLXD and GD567M03, unless someone has the newer model and can confirm a difference. I'll be real frustrated if this screen doesn't work out after paying so much for it and breaking/fixing it several times...

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Sun Dec 09, 2012 4:01 am

maybe ask if someone is interested in a trade? people are making PS2/wii portables that can do progressive 24/7

alternatively you can use the composite/VGA switch as needed, it sucks, but better than nothing

zeldaxpr0

GCN VGA Issues

Post by zeldaxpr0 » Sun Dec 09, 2012 1:02 pm

I got the exact one Tchay got, the Dalian 5" TFT LCD, and I'm using the component cable chip for my GCP. Interlaced and Progressive seem to work fine, I never have to use composite. There are some vertical lines on Progressive but that can fixed via ground shielding. I've heard the newer Dalian Models have like auto resolution which can be a pain and they don't like sync splitters.
Image Image Image Image

Falco

Post by Falco » Sun Dec 09, 2012 7:15 pm

I suppose if worst comes to worse I can use the switch until I find another alternative. Does anyone know if the Dalian screens are all identical, so I don't have to buy another LCD?

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Mon Jan 14, 2013 9:40 pm

sorry to bump, but I think I might of figured out an alternative;

use a WODE and autoboot directly to Swiss (which is 480p by default)

You wont be able to access the gamecube menus (the memory cards, calendar, ect,) without switching to composite, and you might miss the boot animation (big loss [sarcasm]) but hopefully you will be able to force 480p constantly for general use.

Edit; just to be clear, this is all theory

Falco

Post by Falco » Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:42 pm

Bump, but I have updated info that may be important to anyone interested in these displays. I dunno. Maybe.

I ordered the GD50MLXD board (and another LCD because I ripped the ribbon cable on my first one...) based on the intel that it supported interlaced VGA as opposed to the newer board, and after like 4 or 5 months of trying to get Lisa Wang to answer my emails I finally got the damn thing. I hooked it up and interlaced worked, though it had vertical lines across the screen, which were similar to what I'd get on my TV, but you guys said that extra shielding fixes that. Just to test though, I hooked up my previous newer board with the new LCD, and there were no lines, and interlaced mode worked just as well as the older board, after running the auto config to center the image. I don't know what was wrong before, but it's all working smoothly now.

So in summary, both AD boards for this display unit support interlaced VGA perfectly after running the auto config. The main GCN menu may be a little off center still, but that can be fixed in BIOS settings.