GameCube Memory Card/SD Card

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

bridabom73
GameCube Memory Card/SD Card

Post by bridabom73 » Sat Nov 03, 2012 12:04 am

I desoldered my slot B connector and wired an SD gecko adapter, but now I need a way to copy/move saves from one memory card to another. I saw that ShockSlayer tweaked a micro SD adapter and connected it to a memory card so that it could be accessed through a GameCube memory card slot along with an SD gecko slot (Seen in his XGC video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGlvFrt0oqo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; at around 9:10).
Without much thought, I found the SD pinout guide and soldered away. I was able to recreate the same thing, and after a little bit of adjustment, I got it to read all of the save data when I plugged it into the memory card slot and when I plugged it into the SD card slot.
However, when I plugged it into the SD card slot to copy data to another memory card, when it went to copy, it said "The data may not have been copied" and stopped reading the memory card. After the message cleared, it came up with the usual "The object inserted in Slot B cannot be used" which always comes up when the only thing "inserted" into slot B is the SD gecko. I was able to plug both memory cards into my Wii (with the one still wired to the micro SD adapter) and copy data just fine. I even tried it in slot A of my GameCube, and I was able to erase the data, but for some reason when it's connected through my SD gecko, I can't erase or copy/move to or from the card.
Does anyone know what I may have done wrong? ShockSlayer has done it, so I know it's not something that isn't possible to do. Everything seems to be wired correctly and to the right places according to the pinout guide (the one on Modretro because the images on the one here have stopped working). Maybe there's something I overlooked, or maybe SS did something different that I don't know about. Thanks for any input you may have. Hopefully with your help I'll be able to get this working properly. :)

ProgMetalMan

Re: GameCube Memory Card/SD Card

Post by ProgMetalMan » Sat Nov 03, 2012 8:29 pm

ShockSlayer wrote:you can't use an SDgecko as a memory card. You can, however, launch a homebrew tool that will let you back up/load saves off of the other memory card, so technically speaking you kinda can, however I've had a lot of problems messing around with save data, and even then it's been over a year or so since I've messed around with it so it could be a lot better now, but no guarantees.
ShockSlayer wrote:Proggy's right.
ttsgeb wrote:mfw prog was not only right, but 100% so.

bridabom73

Post by bridabom73 » Sun Nov 04, 2012 2:54 pm

I know I can't use an SD card for memory storage, but that's not what I'm trying to do. I'm just trying to connect an actual GameCube memory card through the SD gecko. I've seen it done before by ShockSlayer, and I've been able to access my memory card through the gecko; however, it doesn't stay connected or whatever when I try to copy data. I connect it, and it sees all of my save data, and then when I try to copy, move, or erase anything, it acts as if the memory card isn't even connected for some reason. I know it's not impossible, but there's just something that's going wrong, and I don't know what it is.

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Sun Nov 04, 2012 10:11 pm

SD Gecko's dont use all the signal pins from the GC. If you want to make an adapter, you'll need to wire up the "int" signal line:

http://forums.shockslayer.com/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=60" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

bridabom73

Post by bridabom73 » Tue Nov 06, 2012 7:47 pm

Thanks. You were right. I checked everything with a multimeter to see if everything was connected, and I thought the INT line did go all the way to the memory card through the Gecko and the adapter. I must have been on the wrong pin. Just now I checked again, and it ended up only connecting to the Gecko and then from the SD card to the memory card. The Gecko never connected it to the SD card. So one quick added wire, and it works perfectly. Thanks so much for your help. I'm so glad I finally got it working! :D