PS2 RGB...If you've done it please come here!

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

segasonicfan
PS2 RGB...If you've done it please come here!

Post by segasonicfan » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:31 pm

I just have a simple question about hooking up the PS2 to an RGB monitor (i.e. PSOne screen). Do you need 220uf caps inbetween the RGB lines or 75 ohm resistor to ground? Or can you just connect all the RGB lines directly?

The reason why I ask is because I've connected all the lines directly but after about 30 min into my games I get a greenish tint to the screen. I'm also using the Y output as Sync which is also highly possible to be the cause of this problem. I believe I need an LM1881 to strip the sync from composite.

Please tell me how you hooked up your RGB PS2. Thanks!

-Segasonicfan

Gamelver here. check page two for a quick fix to the green tint problem :). Thanks segasonicfan for figuring it out! Now then, back to Sonic and Knuckles....

Dave

Post by Dave » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:07 pm

You hooked it up correctly. The PS2 just outputs a green tint after a while to avoid piracy I think :roll: . Lame I know, but there is nothing you can do about it except use a different video signal. :(

Reaperman@home

Post by Reaperman@home » Fri Sep 09, 2005 11:19 pm

I forget how I got rid of that problem. something about shorting two pins together on the connector (it was on the old www.konlabs.com site, but now it's gone)

was it just +5v to gnd....?
I'm making this up as I go, it was years ago :roll:

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Sun Sep 11, 2005 12:34 am

LOL, it definitely isn't 5v to ground...that'll kill your video chip x_X

I just tried stripping the sync from composite (thinking the Y output was the problem) but I still got the tint....dammit. :/ Any other ideas? It's strange because I got flamed in the RGB forums on GameSX for saying all PSTwos have the green tint problem...everyone else swore it didn't (?) see here:

http://nfg.2y.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=1551

-Segasonicfan

Reaperman@home

Post by Reaperman@home » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:01 am

I think it's really be the monitor with a green tint problem, since my GBA setup had it too. just to be clear, we're both talking about the psone monitor, correct?

I've been banging my head for a couple days trying to think of the fix, but in reality I never new it, and just blindly looked it up on the now nonexistant konlabs site. (yes, I thought I hooked something up wrong at first too)

I hate to suggest it, but ben may know. His NeoGeo portable uses the RGB on the Psone monitor. Or maybe it's only certain psone screens that experience this issue.

It could be as simple as sending a pulse down the pins that switch on the monitor power every so often. I don't even really remember how that worked.

az_bont

Post by az_bont » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:37 am

I've got a PAL Playstation 2, so I don't know if this will be of much use to you - but if you don't choose RGB under the system setup menu (instead of 'Y, Pb, Pr'), everything has a green tint when going through an RGB connection. DVDs are always green regardless, due to a cock-up on Sony's part.

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Sun Sep 11, 2005 1:35 pm

az--yea I know we're not talking about that. There's actually a green tint problem that shows up later even if you select RGB output in the menu.

I know switching to composite and back to RGB never worked to fix it and I don't think turning the screen on and off ever worked either... :/

I just don't see how it could be a problem with the PSOne screen since it works flawlessly with other RGB systems. I think it has to do with the PS2 swapping from Component to RGB digitally and using the same outputs. It must leave some trace of 'sync on green.' That's why I was hoping stripping the sync information from composite would solve the problem...but it looks like the problem is actually in the RGB lines themselves. That doesn't make a whole lot of sense though because R-Y and B-Y (the analog version of Pb Pr) stands for red minus luminance and blue minus luminance. If you connect them to a monitor you don't get any green signal mixed in b/c even in component it's not there. The green is mixed with Y.

So in conclusion the problem is with the green output (somehow).

-Segasonicfan

th3c4rd

Post by th3c4rd » Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:52 am

Hey Segasonicfan. I used your guide to making a ps2p and I am using a PSOne screen, and im not having any problems with green tint showing up after some game play time. I'll see about making a graphic of what i connected... I'm fairly sure I did it right(the screen hasnt blown up yet, and i've logged about 50 hours on RE Outbreak File:2 :D )
Why make a portable? Because I want to be able to game cordless.

and here's my PS2p !!
ttp://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c180/th3c4rd/b645741d.jpg

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Tue Sep 13, 2005 2:32 pm

Hrmm that's strange. I just tried connected another (new) PSOne screen and I'm still having the problem :( Looks like you already know more then me :P Please let me know how you connected it.

-Segasonicfan

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Sun Dec 18, 2005 7:12 pm

Does anyone have an update on this? This has really been bothering the hell out of me. I've been working on an insanely hard Component -> RGB converter which will hopefully solve the problem but I wonder if someone has a similar solution (Ben??) This is sort of the final frontier for my PS2 portable to be perfect (I'm upgrading it right now and while it's opened up I'd like to fix this). I have also discovered a better solution for the power supply if anyone's interested...

But about the video problem, I really want to get this fixed without the encoder. I will seriously pay someone to tell me if I have to lol.

-Segasonicfan

Turbo Tax 1.0
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by Turbo Tax 1.0 » Sun Dec 18, 2005 9:03 pm

please tell us about the better solution to the power supply
when life gives you lemons make flux
snesp mk4

Djsefnet
PSN Username:Djsefnet

Post by Djsefnet » Thu Dec 22, 2005 5:16 am

http://www.epinions.com/content_1699913860

dono if that helps seems like werth a shot!
Fire in the hole

segasonicfan

Post by segasonicfan » Thu Dec 22, 2005 2:20 pm

this is for an old model ps2.... :/ The new slimline does not have an easy macrovision solution like this :(

-Segasonicfan

*o*

Post by *o* » Thu Dec 22, 2005 4:45 pm

thisll sound dumb but oh well why not build a circuit which filters out the green tint
Penn & Teller wrote:It's BULLS#%@

XPCportables

Post by XPCportables » Sun Dec 25, 2005 8:59 am

If it bothers you that much(the green tint) why don't ya do the S-video mod that you came up with for the psone screen. just wonderin
BTW: my psone screen doesn't go green after playin for an hour or so, instead the picture gets so dark that you cant see what your doing. :cry: