Digital AV out on Gamecube

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

wilykat
Digital AV out on Gamecube

Post by wilykat » Thu Jul 26, 2012 8:29 pm

I wanted to get component for my Gamecube now that I have a TV with component support. But the cable have been discontinued and they are going for over $100 each on eBay :shock:

So I thought I'd rip the propriety port out and install plain RCA jacks for regular cable. But a quick look on the internet nixed the idea. Because an idiot thought it was good idea to put the video encoder chip inside the component cable plug, not inside the Gamecube.

Is there a cheaper way to get a component signal out of the Gamecube or am I out $100 either for a cable or for an used Wii with Gamecube support?

PS what idiot puts a chip inside the video plug not inside the console? Makes modding to use regular RCA ports next to impossible.

Diminuendo

Re: Digital AV out on Gamecube

Post by Diminuendo » Fri Jul 27, 2012 3:02 am

the reason for it was that no-one really used it in the Gamecubes prime, it's easy to call them idiots now, but back them I bet everything connected to your TV was connected by composite.

those chips are expensive, why bother putting them in your console if no-one is going to use it.

alternatively, you can use a PAL gamecube, those have analog RGB, and you can order RGB cables from Nintendo Australia still, but I can't get a straight answer on whether they are the digital ones or not.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Fri Jul 27, 2012 9:34 am

There's a guy making the chip here:
http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewto ... f29c5a5168" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Greg2600

Post by Greg2600 » Sun Aug 12, 2012 4:33 pm

hailrazer wrote:There's a guy making the chip here:
http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewto ... f29c5a5168" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
While his work is "revolutionary" for sure, the cost to purchase and modify your GC, etc., most are better off paying $100 for the official cable. I can't see anyone doing a mod for less than $80, and the cables aren't much more than that outside of psychotic ebay bidding. If he were to construct and sell a component cable with audio for $60 or less, I'd be interested.