DuXe Controller PCB

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

RDC
DuXe Controller PCB

Post by RDC » Tue Jul 03, 2012 7:05 am

While doing work on the 36X PCB - http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=56&t=51111" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I decided to start on a PCB for the Duke controller as well.

It's the same deal as the 36X board, just a blank slate so other things can be wired up to it. The only drawback on this board at the moment is the ABXY, Blk and Wht button's contacts. The original Duke board has Analog buttons, and the contacts are covered with a conductive film, then the rubber piece presses on that to make it touch the contacts on the board and the harder it's pressed, the more of it makes contact, and the lower the Resistance, similar to the PS3 controllers or how a volume knob on a stereo works. This will need to be addressed at some point, most likely with the rubber piece being replaced with a more 'typical' one that has the conductive contact on it instead.

These are the renders of the PCB done in DipTrace.

BOTTOM

Here are a couple pics of the prototype made up.

Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.
Re-mappable Wireless 360 Controller - The CGnome

Hifeno
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: DuXe Controller PCB

Post by Hifeno » Wed Oct 24, 2012 5:53 am

What made you decide to mess with a Duke?
That's Hacking Awsome
Visit my Website http://hifeno.webs.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

RDC

Post by RDC » Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:11 pm

Mainly because I was on the 'blank' board kick from doing the 36X (I also started an X-controller board, for the S-controller) but also the same reason as any of the other controller work I've done, just to see if I could. This was also done in case I ever want/need to make up another Wired or Wireless 360 Duke controller, or any kind of controller in the Duke shell really. I've done the board hacking way and stuffed each in there before..

Wired - http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=576270#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wireless - http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php? ... &show=&st=&#" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

..and those were far more work than 'piggy backing' the controller to a board like this where all of that cutting and rewiring mess isn't needed.

I can also take this PCB and use it as the template and place whatever parts I want on it and trace it out for them. For example, the wired CL version 360 controller. I can take the layout of it's main components and make a drop in replacement board for the Duke that's really a wired 360 controller instead.

Screwing up is one of the best learning tools, so long as the only thing you're not learning is how to screw up.

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:24 am

If your looking to make something "just to see if you could" make me a Wavebird controller one of these so when the Wii U comes out I can play the new Smash Brothers properly with a modified pro controller. I'll gladly give you some more of my business for this.

For the record;a 3 pin ps3 analog comfortably replaces the Gamecube stick (all Nintendo consoles since have been 10k analog sticks) if you shorten the stem 2/3 mm. They seem as good as anything to add stick click.

You might be completely uninterested in this, but if you want a project suggestion.

RDC

Post by RDC » Thu Oct 25, 2012 2:10 pm

Make a what now? A Wavebird in the Duke shell? or something else there?

Also, just FTR, there are now 3 types of PS3 3 pin sticks, the original ones in the pre DualShock 3 controllers, the Asuka type (which are a little larger) and the latest are in the newest VX6 version controller, which are again like the pre DS3 ones.

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Thu Oct 25, 2012 5:59 pm

A board to go inside a wavebird controller with the appropriate mounts and contacts like this one to add with the board for a wii Us "hardcore" controller for a wii U compatable wavebird controller.

I feel it should have extra contacts to the left and right of the start button and a shoulder tack switch mirroring the Z button for the wii Us extra buttons. You'd have to modify the shell but you wouldn't loose any of the wii Us functionality that way

I don't know which stick - the one that's close to the size of the gamecubes?

RDC

Post by RDC » Thu Oct 25, 2012 10:20 pm

Gotcha. You send a Wavebird controller for me to tear apart, strip down and measure up, and I'll make up a WaXebird PCB. Which is just the board with the spots to solder up whatever you want to it, like the 36X and DuXe there in the first post.

Making up one that has the Wii U's guts all transferred to it, now that would be a good bit more work and require at least one of those controllers as well to tear down, preferably two in that case so one can be mapped out while being torn down, and the other used for the part swap when it's all done. How much time and work that would take exactly I've no idea as I've never seen the inside of one of those before. Could be a few days of work, could be a few months, just depends there.

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Fri Oct 26, 2012 1:58 am

copulate awesome man! thanks!

I Don't mind putting in the board from the Wii U controller directly if it fits. No need to redesign it if it's not required right? just need something with the additional contacts for a left Z, start buttons and stick clicks.

I'm pretty the regular gamecube controllers are the same shape other than the mounts for the batterys and the "chin" (a regular gamecube controller can fit into a wavebird comfterbly) I could ship one of those to you tomorrow.

Also, you know I'm Aussie; you mind me looking on US ebay for a cheap wavebird controllers on eBay US and gifting it to you? makes more sense than getting something shipped to me then shipping it to you.

super excited for this

RDC

Post by RDC » Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:22 am

The board wont need any additional contacts as those will need to be wired from the Wii U's controller directly.

Now if I was making up a drop in replacement board with the parts from the Wii U already on the WaXebird board, then pads would need to be added so you could have access to those controller functions, but just making up the WaXebird board will only have the pads and spots for the Wavebird's functions. Since you're putting the Wii U controller in there, those extra buttons and such you'll have to wire up to the actual Wii U controller board. Having pads for them on the WaXebird bird would be useless and go nowhere, follow?

It needs to be a Wavebird controller, as long as it's intact it's fine, otherwise it's not going to be a WaXebird board. I can't take into account bracing and such from a different controller or board, no matter how close they are, that's not gonna work and is beyond half arsed to even attempt, and I wouldn't.

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Fri Oct 26, 2012 5:33 am

For the extra contacts I'm suggesting the end user modify the case for extra button contacts; all it would take is a drill and a flat piece of plastic to add the two extra start buttons the wii U controller has. The LZ button would be significantly more work but it would be nice to have the option. I would not be interested in this mod if it lost me functuality over the wii U controller. And if you added the contacts the end user does not need to use them, but the options there.

I hear you about using the regular gamecube controller; I'll get a wavebird to you when I can manage, I'm a little short right now, but It'll happen soon

RDC

Post by RDC » Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:31 am

There's a crossed wire here somewhere, or you're just wanting to do twice the wiring that's necessary. ;)

Adding more contacts isn't an option for anything but having to do more work. It doesn't make anything easier or the board able to accept more buttons.

You're wanting a 'blank' board made up to fit inside the Wavebird shell. It only has so many buttons on it before you have to go adding them to the shell. Just like the DuXe up there. It has at most 14 buttons, now imagine I'm going to wire up some new controller in there that has 16 buttons. Putting extra contacts on the DuXe board doesn't do any good as I still have to add some buttons to the shell somewhere. If I do that and add in more contacts, then I have to wire the new buttons to the DuXe board, then off to whatever controller I'm stuffing in there. That's pure pointless when I could just go straight from the new buttons to the new controller, and if anyone really wants 3 Start buttons (they have other issues to sort out first) then they can wire them to the same set of ST1 and ST2 pads that are for the only Start button that's even needed.

Again, if I were making this board up to hold the components of the Wii U's board, then having the added contacts makes perfect sense as the function is on the board, but needs a button that the Wavebird doesn't have.

That DuXe CL up there has this issue, because there is no Guide button on the Duke shell. I worked around that by using an AND gate IC, so when Select(Back) and Start are pressed the Guide button is activated, but I also have pads for the Guide button, so one can be added instead if one wants it, that's an option. That kind of adding extra pads makes sense because the CL controller has that Guide button and the Duke shell doesn't, but adding them in there on a blank setup like the very first DuXe board there is just waste as it makes for twice the wiring, from new board, to blank board to new button when you could just go from the new board to the new button.

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Fri Oct 26, 2012 3:12 pm

Ok, I think get the problem; when I say "three start buttons" I mean start, home and select which the Wii U has but the gamecube only has start. What I'm suggesting is aquireing two extra gamecube start buttins and drilling new holes to the left and right if the GCs existing start button, what I'm asking fit is some sort of contact, on the board for them

If that doesn't make sense Ill Photoshop you something

RDC

Post by RDC » Fri Oct 26, 2012 9:15 pm

I get what you mean there, but that's still putting the horse, as well as whatever is in the cart, way in front of the cart. Putting the contacts on the board for some mechanical mess that hasn't even been tried yet is again, a huge waste of time and an almost guaranteed fail. If the new buttons were already put in the shell then I could see making up contacts for them based on where they were, but doing them first would just make more work that using some Tact switch and wiring it up to the new board.

Diminuendo

Post by Diminuendo » Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:48 am

Ok, that sounds fair, and that I was getting ahead of myself.

So what your saying is that once you the wavebird board made up THEN we can think about the plus, minus and LZ buttons

RDC

Post by RDC » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:16 am

Correct.