Can the vibration motors be removed on PS2 Dual Shocks?

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

17daysolderthannes

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:53 am

Hi guys,

This isn't a portable, it's actually a custom case mod I'm going to attempt with my 3D printer. I want to take a standard PS2 controller's guts and create a case that falls somewhere between the 3 button Genesis, 6 button Genesis, and Japanese/2nd gen US Sega Saturn controllers in form.

What I want to know is this: for the sake of saving weight and freeing up some space for more design flexibility, I'd like to remove the dualshock vibration motors. Is this as simple as cutting them off and heat shrinking the wires (to keep them from shorting)? I wouldn't imagine there's any onboard feature check to keep it from working, but I figured I'd ask before proceeding and ruining a controller for nothing.

As a weird coincidence, I actually have a PS2 "Dual Analog" official controller that lacks the dual shocks, but it turns out that it's so rare that many internet forums aren't even sure it exists, so I think I'll hold onto that as a collectable instead of hacking it up for a case mod, lol.

edit: I just remembered that the PS2 has analog buttons as well, which may cause issues, so I guess a PSX Dual Shock would be a better route.

jdmlight
Steam ID:jdmlight

Post by jdmlight » Sat Sep 24, 2011 12:58 pm

Yes, a PSX dualshock would be easier for the lack of analog buttons. I have yet to come across a game that used the buttons as analog, so I don't think it'd be that much of a loss. I have some PSX controllers that work fine on PS2 games.

As far as your question, yes, you can remove the vibration motors. But rather than heatshrinking the wires, why wouldn't you just cut them off at the circuit board and leave no wires hanging? Then you wouldn't have to worry about them shorting or getting in the way.
--John (and please call me John, it's really weird to be called by my username)
Fight MS Paint abominations! If you don't have a camera, go here, and pick something 3 megapixels or higher.

17daysolderthannes

Re: Can the vibration motors be removed on PS2 Dual Shocks?

Post by 17daysolderthannes » Sat Sep 24, 2011 9:05 pm

Well, I guess here's another question: what power runs to the vibration motors? I might make one of those nerdy LED mods that makes the controller flash when the vibration command is sent or something.

armarares

Re: Can the vibration motors be removed on PS2 Dual Shocks?

Post by armarares » Sun Sep 25, 2011 10:29 am

use a multimeter?