Damaged board (XBOX)?

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Harlequin
Damaged board (XBOX)?

Post by Harlequin » Thu Jul 14, 2011 3:48 am

Was working on an XBOX that was in need of TSOP flashing and Sammy repair. Flashed with no issues and then it came to the dreaded magnet of doom for the Samsung drive. The belt was so weak that it couldn't reliably open even with a disk in the drive. It was just not working out. I had a spare DVD drive lying around so I pinned out the points needed to get tray in/out, eject, data ready. Was testing the connection for eject/tray in when i began to smell smoke. and see smoke. @##$!@#$

long story short, I forgot to add the 1/4 watt 1k resistors on the lines and burnt the DVD drive. with fire. there was burn marks and everything. Awesome!

Well, it's a plain DVD drive so I really don't care, no big loss. I plug back in the old xbox dvd drive. Now it won't eject. It says ejecting, but it doesn't. I quickly pull the drive and power from this bad boy as I don't wat it to start cooking my other DVD drives.

So I'm not quite sure where I can go with this. I was wondering to myself if I should just test the Eject trace from the front panel. If it works, I suppose I could sever the trace at the connector and run a line from the front panel to the pin itself... but my question to you fine folks is this - does the trace go from the pin to the eject button or does it actually go somewhere else as well? I'm ok with the box being a little confused as to whether or not the tray is ejecting or not, but was wondering if any of this is worth my efforts. At this point I'm telling the box owner to get a bigger hard drive to throw in it, and then we can format it in another TSOP'd box and just rip all of his games to the hard drive since it looks like his DVD drive will never work again. Suggestions anyone?