(ZCP) A few questions for my Portable GC set 2

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Gamerlolwind51649
(ZCP) A few questions for my Portable GC set 2

Post by Gamerlolwind51649 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 9:58 am

Hay fellow modders,
gamerlolwind here

thanx for your help in answering my questions that i had about my zcp before :)
but i have some more puzzling questions which are troubling me quite a bit.

1) When looking at Kassar's guide, i notice that he mentions about using tact switches for reallocating the controls of the gc. http://img143.imageshack.us/img143/7277 ... actfs2.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
my question is what size do the tact switches have to be, or what's a good size that works well when putting the buttons in a case with everything?

2) For the DD connector from the mobo reallocation, i was thinking of taking the gc mobo to dd connector and soldering a IDE cable on the end of the gc mobo DD connector to the gc mobo pinout. http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b239/ ... Rewire.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

is it a good method? because i heard that it can be tricky.

i found this pinout of the DD board to gc mobo: http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk19" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... oints1.jpg
is this correct? :mrgreen:

3) for my case, i measured the different parts that i'll be using, the gc mobo is 11.9 cm x 12.5 cm.
so to get a nice case size, i took this size and added 5cm to both sides of this, and got
21.9 cm x 22.5 cm.
i made a case design prototype : Image

is the size i calculated good for a gcp portable? if not what's a recommend size for casing a gcp? :mrgreen:

4) Battery power. i know, it's the last thing i should do. but im a bit puzzled on the whole power consummation thing. like if i use a 14.8V li battery, with the gc max power being 12v, plus the extra power Psone screen 7.5v, tacht switches etc.
for 4 hours, how many mah do i need for a 14.8v battery to last that long? i know 5H = 100.000 mah. so 4H = 50.000 mah :?:

also, the max psone screen power it needs is 7.5v, if i us a 14.8v battery, do i need any kind of step down regulator or anything to plit the power fore the psone screen to 7.5v? because i heard that if you apply too much v's from 7.5v it can fry the screen. so to aviod this what do i do :roll:

5) for the heatsink + fan, im using my stock gc fan, cut it out of the case and going to apply it to the heatsink.
which way do i stick the fan on the heatsink? from the sticker side or it's opposite?

6) when i desoldered the parts not needed for the gc, the pins i removed from side A. so, if i remove the side A pins i also have to remove side B pins too?

Fat Boy Benny PS2 Portable:

http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=10133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kasar

Re: (ZCP) A few questions for my Portable GC set 2

Post by kasar » Tue Jun 14, 2011 11:38 am

1) I know i talked about tact switches at the guide, however, I would recomend to go for the another option (use two controllers, or just cut , split and join by wires a single controller)

why?
because I noticed tact switches finger response was way far from the original controller response.

anyway if you still want to go for the tact switches try those

http://img2.topfreebiz.com/o2011-3/cach ... 120557.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.p-wholesale.com/upimg/5/304a ... io-233.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the size is usually 1/4 or 1/2 the size of any of your claws.

2) it should work nice, however if you want the smallest gcp size, I would go for the wiikey fussion trick, since it replace the whole gamecube DVD unit for a minimal circuits (way smaller)

3) I would slim complete the electronics and slim down the system as much before to start working at the case, some friend of mine did a nice case for his GCP project before he completed the electronics, and the bad news were the system did not fit at his new case.

after you get the whole electronics completed you will be able to design a case acording your electronics parts easier

4)
i know 5H = 100.000 mah. so 4H = 50.000 mah :?:
with 5H, are you talking about 5 hours? :D

well, the GC alone draw like 1,25 A, and the ps1 screen draw less than 1 A per hour i think (not sure).

so your system consumition will be arround 2 A, maybe more maybe less, you will need a multimeter for more acturate vaues.

for example assuming a battery is 6000 mah (6 A), and your system draws 2 A per hour, the aproximate battery duration will be 3 hours.

6 A battery / 2 A system = 3 hours play time

6 / 2 = 3

also

as far I know replacing buttoms with tact switches dont increase the power consumition of your system , ^^

14.8v is the battery voltage, wich is good/aceptable for your system, anyway you should focus at the battery capacity and discharge rates if you are worried about the duration.

but first you should get a multimeter and calculate how many power your whole portable draw per hour, then you should be able to calculate the aproximate battery duration.

and yes, you will need to regulate the 14.8 volts from the battery to the 7.5 volts the psone needs, else your screen will be fried in less than a minute :D

5) at the most computer fans attached to the heat sink, specially the cpu fan and heat sink, I noticed the fan basically moves the air into the heat sink, helping the heatsing to become cooler.

6) well, after you remove a connector, all you need to check is that there are not pins touching each others, for exameple, at your picture I noticed there are pins touching each other at the parallel port (the one used by gameboy player) so making a clean like I suggested at my guide after removing a connector is recomended.
Last edited by kasar on Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: (ZCP) A few questions for my Portable GC set 2

Post by hailrazer » Tue Jun 14, 2011 4:09 pm

With a PS1 screen the Gamecube will draw around 2.5A.

There is no way you will be getting 5 hours unless you use a 12,500mAh battery. And you won't be fitting that in a portable.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance