(ZCP) A few questions about my Portable GC Set 1

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Gamerlolwind51649
(ZCP) A few questions about my Portable GC Set 1

Post by Gamerlolwind51649 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:20 am

Hay guys, gamerlolwind here.

im making a portable gamecube with my rev a dol 001 pal system and im mid way into it,
i have a few questions i really need good advice on.

1) My GameCube Lid Closed Door Sensor is gone, i can't seem to find it, but i found a replacement g site that sells old parts. but here's my question, for opening and closing the lid of the dd drive, can't i just solder the small blue wires to a normal switch? will this work for opening/closing the DD lid easer?

2) for the screen i've been thinking about using a psone since it's really good for gc etc
i found one used but in good condition on amazon.uk for 70 euro pal. do i need to do the LED mod?

3) a case, im thinking of making my own case, something about the size of a psp/ds lite. medium size. not very heavy that you can't hold it.
but what's the best material to use for this? i know plastic and vaccum method, but anything easier?

4) the method for vlots, 12v to work for 5v audio, um i heard that this only is needed for lower voltages, so anything above 12v battery doesn't need this mod?

5) battery pack, for my gc im thinking of creating a charge system with a switch to change from my battery pack on gc or the ac wall plug, but um i heard that 14.8v is the best for most battery life, like im think 5 hours maybe? and what kind of battery should i use?

here's a guy who used a portable dvd battery pack (rechargeable) and gets 4 hours on his n64p:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KEAhPDpXi4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

can i use this kind of battery? or another recharable battery pack??

im aiming for 4 to 5 hours, maybe 6. but 4/5 hours for sure, i hope.

6) the vestiable restitor, do i need it?
7) the daugther board of the DD and the board on the gc mobo, i haven't taken them off yet, is there a pinout for which pinouts i should connect rom the dd's board pins to the gc mobo's pins? any diagram?

that's all my questions i have about my gc.

i hope someone can help me, thanx
Last edited by Gamerlolwind51649 on Tue Jun 14, 2011 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.

Fat Boy Benny PS2 Portable:

http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=10133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: (ZCP) A few questions about my portable gamecube

Post by hailrazer » Fri Jun 10, 2011 9:13 am

1. Yes but it needs to be a normally opened switch iirc.
2. No
3. Good luck. If you are keeping the DD drive you will never keep it that small especially with batteries.
4. Correct .
5. You will need at least 10,000 mAh batteries for 5 hours. Not going to happen. Most people just shoot for 2-3. Look at my battery guide for the batteries to use .
6. No
7. Look for the pinout in kasaar's guide.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:25 am

1. Yes, wire a standard 2-way switch
2. LED mod is NOT required. If you trim off parts of the board, then yes, you will need to
3. ABS method is easier IMO. Search around for ABS cement cases
- sidenote, you will need to use the wiikey fusion if you want a case that small
4. yeah
5. Hailrazers battery guide should help. Its under the forum references - battery area
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=34576" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

6. variable resistor? Yes, if you use a PSone screen and 14.8v batteries (it brings the voltage down, while being efficient)
7. pinouts can be found in Kasars guide. Once again, use the Wiikey Fusion if you want a small portable gamecube. Meaning you wont need the daughterboard.
Image Image

kasar

Post by kasar » Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:29 pm

1) yes, you can wire a new/normal switch, or you can just bridge if you want to keep the lid allways closed.

2) there is no need to led mod it unless you are not satisfected with the default looking or power consumition of the ps1 screen.

3) a psp or dslite case size for a gcp is not enough space regarding my own portabilizing experience and while watching other ppl portables, as for the casing methods, give a try to the vacuum former may be a nice idea, anyway I'm not an expert relating to the casing methods.

4) true :P

5) well, usually picking a battery with better specs is usually bigger and expensive, so you will have to decide about a balance betwen portability and battery duration.

there are also different types of batteries relating the fabrication materials, generally the more smaller and powerfull ones are the most expensive, so this factor also depends about how much you want to spent it, like the other members said you can give a read to the battery section

6) depends for the ussage you want to give it,for example at my guide I added one to the wiring video signal section, it helped to calibrate the video signal strengt, however you may want to use a non variable resistor after you find the desired value of the resistor.

7) like other members said, there is some info at the forum :) , however, I also agree with tchay about the best method to aim for a supersmalltinynano portable is to use the wiikey fusion trick, ppl seems to like the idea, the only disvantage may be the compatibility on some games, but as far I know it only happen on very little games while the other run perfect.

Gamerlolwind51649

Post by Gamerlolwind51649 » Fri Jun 10, 2011 5:13 pm

hailrazer wrote:1. Yes but it needs to be a normally opened switch iirc.
2. No
3. Good luck. If you are keeping the DD drive you will never keep it that small especially with batteries.
4. Correct .
5. You will need at least 10,000 mAh batteries for 5 hours. Not going to happen. Most people just shoot for 2-3. Look at my battery guide for the batteries to use .
6. No
7. Look for the pinout in kasaar's guide.
Tchay wrote:1. Yes, wire a standard 2-way switch
2. LED mod is NOT required. If you trim off parts of the board, then yes, you will need to
3. ABS method is easier IMO. Search around for ABS cement cases
- sidenote, you will need to use the wiikey fusion if you want a case that small
4. yeah
5. Hailrazers battery guide should help. Its under the forum references - battery area
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=43&t=34576" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

6. variable resistor? Yes, if you use a PSone screen and 14.8v batteries (it brings the voltage down, while being efficient)
7. pinouts can be found in Kasars guide. Once again, use the Wiikey Fusion if you want a small portable gamecube. Meaning you wont need the daughterboard.
kasar wrote:1) yes, you can wire a new/normal switch, or you can just bridge if you want to keep the lid allways closed.

2) there is no need to led mod it unless you are not satisfected with the default looking or power consumition of the ps1 screen.

3) a psp or dslite case size for a gcp is not enough space regarding my own portabilizing experience and while watching other ppl portables, as for the casing methods, give a try to the vacuum former may be a nice idea, anyway I'm not an expert relating to the casing methods.

4) true :P

5) well, usually picking a battery with better specs is usually bigger and expensive, so you will have to decide about a balance betwen portability and battery duration.

there are also different types of batteries relating the fabrication materials, generally the more smaller and powerfull ones are the most expensive, so this factor also depends about how much you want to spent it, like the other members said you can give a read to the battery section

6) depends for the ussage you want to give it,for example at my guide I added one to the wiring video signal section, it helped to calibrate the video signal strengt, however you may want to use a non variable resistor after you find the desired value of the resistor.

7) like other members said, there is some info at the forum :) , however, I also agree with tchay about the best method to aim for a supersmalltinynano portable is to use the wiikey fusion trick, ppl seems to like the idea, the only disvantage may be the compatibility on some games, but as far I know it only happen on very little games while the other run perfect.
hay guys, thanx for the help :)

1) a switch like this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Toggle-switch-2 ... 91&sr=1-23" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2) well test out once i have my psone screen, if im not happy with the defult looking, i can do the LED mod, i have the guide for psone screen from Console modding site :)
3) hum, i need to find a good method for making my case, i'll look at the ABS cement thing.
i'll need to complete my design for my zcp, then i can be sure of a good design that'll work.

4) haha thanx :) SS told me this info. thanx dude :)
5) will check your guide, hailrazer. um but can't i just use a universal dvd battery pack like the guy did for his n64? or this wouldn't work as well as the Lithium Polymer Batteries
i know they're really good and all, but can be dangerious as well. i was thinking of about 4 hours a 14.8v seems to be the best solution. will use your guide for reference.
6) will see if i may/may not need it, who knows?
7) i found this pinout of the DD board to gc mobo: http://i280.photobucket.com/albums/kk19 ... oints1.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
is this correct?

Fat Boy Benny PS2 Portable:

http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.php?f=64&t=10133" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;