My portable gamecube project: The BattleDolphin

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

agentwd40
My portable gamecube project: The BattleDolphin

Post by agentwd40 » Wed May 25, 2011 11:06 pm

Earlier this week I started building my own portable gamecube, so far. I have everything disassembled and am just about ready to start building. I'll be using an old Battleship set for my case, which is absolutely perfect as far as cases go since it opens (making it easy to get the parts in). and is just big enough to fit everything comfortably. (Except for the DVD drive which I will be connecting to the back.) This is also why I'm calling it a wavecube.

Here is my case (I cut a hole out for the dremel tool)

I am also using a PS1 screen:

Screen fitted:

This is my dismantled motherboard (I have removed the heatsink since taking the picture.

My plan is to make one integrated controller with 3 ports for external controllers and a TV out so it can be used a home or a portable console.

That is all, questions and comments would be appreciated, as well as some vetrens willing to lend some advice.
Last edited by agentwd40 on Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

agentwd40

Re: My portable gamecube project: The WaveCube

Post by agentwd40 » Thu May 26, 2011 5:27 pm

Hey, because of size constraint issues I am having to install my motherboard upside down. the only problem I see is that the AV port is no longer facing up towards my screen but I still see pins on the side B below the AV port. I assume I can just wire onto those and get the same result right?

unicycler17
PSN Username:unicycler17

Post by unicycler17 » Thu May 26, 2011 6:41 pm

agentwd40 wrote:Hey, because of size constraint issues I am having to install my motherboard upside down. the only problem I see is that the AV port is no longer facing up towards my screen but I still see pins on the side B below the AV port. I assume I can just wire onto those and get the same result right?
Yes. If you desolder the pins, you'll get holes that you can push the wire through, and solder through the holes, it'll stay really strong. But it would be easier to just solder to the points on the bottom of the board like you suggested.

And I'm really excited about this project. The case looks really unique and has a lot of potential to be awesome.

agentwd40

Post by agentwd40 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 12:21 pm

unicycler17 wrote:
agentwd40 wrote:Hey, because of size constraint issues I am having to install my motherboard upside down. the only problem I see is that the AV port is no longer facing up towards my screen but I still see pins on the side B below the AV port. I assume I can just wire onto those and get the same result right?
Yes. If you desolder the pins, you'll get holes that you can push the wire through, and solder through the holes, it'll stay really strong. But it would be easier to just solder to the points on the bottom of the board like you suggested.

And I'm really excited about this project. The case looks really unique and has a lot of potential to be awesome.
Thanks, I'm about 75% complete right now. (just need my battery to come in the mail) but I've hit a little snag with the PSX screen. See my topic in the technical questions if you want specifics.