Xbox/360 Frankencable with composite and component

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Dubular
Xbox/360 Frankencable with composite and component

Post by Dubular » Tue May 17, 2011 1:03 pm

I read awhile back a post concerning using a 360 component cable, and soldering it to the end of a regular xbox connector to make an xbox component cable. Having the spare parts and time, I figured I'd attempt this.

I'm using a 360 cable that switches between composite and component (the one that came in the premium bundles) and I want to still be able to switch between composite and component on the original xbox with one cord.

Here's my solution, I'm going to solder both component and composite wires to the connector and NOT any mode select wires. Then I will take the xbox apart and install a switch on the back and connect the mode selects to this, so that I can alter which are grounded.

First off, will this work as I'm planning? It makes sense to me, but I just want to double check.

Secondly, does anybody have an AV pinout for the pcb on the inside? Or is the pcb itself numbered?

Oh and I already have the two cords desoldered and partially resoldered, so please, no posts saying "Just go buy one." Thanks!

Dubular

Re: Xbox/360 Frankencable with composite and component

Post by Dubular » Thu May 19, 2011 4:06 pm

Since I got no replies I went ahead with it. I completed the cable but have no modes grounded on it. I then soldered a switch to the av board on the inside the flips from one mode being grounded to the other two, for composite and component respectively. I hooked this all up to my tv and here's what I came up with.

When the switch is flipped to component I get a picture on screen, full color, on the component channel. Nothing on composite.

When I flip it to the composite setting, I get a black and white picture on the component channel, but no picture on composite.

What would be causing this to happen?

QuietStorm1785
PSN Username:KingArthur_85
Steam ID:YoMamasPimp1

Post by QuietStorm1785 » Sun May 22, 2011 2:36 am

Well, seeing as nobody else posted here for you; I figured I'd help out just a bit. Im not great at soldering anything but i am great at finding information. I remember you asking for a printout of the a/v for the xbox. Found one on xboxscene.com. Here's the link:

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=213487

Hope that helps. This little bit of information might help people trying to make an xbox laptop or other mod too.

Dubular

Post by Dubular » Thu May 26, 2011 11:31 am

Thanks, after a lot of searching (way more than I needed to actually) I found that pinout. I'm in the process of soldering on different wires, because the ones I used were thicker than needed and might have been touching. I'm gonna get a new tip for my soldering iron after work and try that. I don't know what else would be the problem.