~{The Kingdom PS2}~ revival thread and worklog

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Tchay
Re: ~{The Kingdom PS2}~ revival thread and worklog

Post by Tchay » Thu Jun 02, 2011 10:50 pm

hailrazer wrote:
Tchay wrote:
EDIT: oh and, how come you used epoxy instead of hot glue? Just curious. I've never used epoxy before...
Hot glue is TERRIBLE in a portable. The inside of a portable will hit over 130 degrees easily and the hot glue will soften and things will come apart.

Epoxy won't :)
do they make epoxy guns?

oh and, if you screw up, you can remove hot glue much easier than epoxy. Hot glue has a LOT of advantages. Not sure how hot a well cooled GCP would get tho....that would certainly be a problem.
Image Image

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 1:44 pm

i know they make epoxy dispensing guns, but you still have to mix it yourself, and apply it to whatever your using it on.

this is the kind of stuff im talking about:

Blonde_and_Beautiful

Post by Blonde_and_Beautiful » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:00 pm

1. what is a PCB?

(i like the pretty colored wires lol)

2. whats an A/V wire?

Blonde_and_Beautiful

Post by Blonde_and_Beautiful » Fri Jun 03, 2011 3:02 pm

curious...besides for these types of projects, what else can epoxy be used for?

unicycler17
PSN Username:unicycler17

Post by unicycler17 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 5:38 pm

I love epoxy putty and that 5 minute epoxy syringe stuff. It's okay to use hot glue for small things, right? As long as you arn't mounting large stuff with it?

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:37 pm

Blonde_and_Beautiful wrote:curious...besides for these types of projects, what else can epoxy be used for?
epoxy is essentially just a glue that hardens very quickly and becomes quite solid, and can be used as a filler, if you need to give something more structural strength, or it can be used to seal something that might be susceptible to air or water damage. you can pretty much use it any time you need fast, strong glue
Last edited by AngelArm1110 on Fri Jun 03, 2011 8:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Blonde_and_Beautiful

Post by Blonde_and_Beautiful » Fri Jun 03, 2011 7:46 pm

cool... sounds very useful....

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Tue Jun 14, 2011 12:10 am

TIME FOR AN UPDATE!!!!

so as some of you may know, if you've been following this thread, i have been looking for ways to solve the problem of the battery voltage regulator getting too hot and shutting down. someone suggested that i use a fan, and/or a heat sink to deal with this problem, but i realized today, that the main reason the regulator is having so much trouble keeping up, is because its working way to hard, so why not allocate half of the workload to another regulator.

to accomplish this, i have devised a way to run 2 of the same voltage regulators in parallel, in order to effectively reduce the workload of each regulator by exactly half (since when current is hooked up to loads in parallel, it divides perfectly in half; 5000mah becomes 2500mah per regulator)

this is the setup i have come up with:

with this setup, i will be able to help keep both regulator performing well within their operational limits, and hopefully (because i actually have to order a new regulator; the one on the bottom is a dead one used purely as a mock up for the concept) will keep my portable receiving consistent, correctly rated power :D

thoughts anyone??

unicycler17
PSN Username:unicycler17

Post by unicycler17 » Wed Jun 15, 2011 7:35 am

I don't know anything about making regulators, but if it works, awesome. Glad to see you making progress!

killersquirel11
360 GamerTag:killersquirel11
Steam ID:killersquirel11

Post by killersquirel11 » Fri Jul 15, 2011 12:36 pm

AngelArm1110 wrote:TIME FOR AN UPDATE!!!!
to accomplish this, i have devised a way to run 2 of the same voltage regulators in parallel, in order to effectively reduce the workload of each regulator by exactly half (since when current is hooked up to loads in parallel, it divides perfectly in half; 5000mah becomes 2500mah per regulator)
thoughts anyone??
I'm a little worried about hooking up two regulators in parallel. That might work with linear regulators (although they also might blow up). With switching regulators, odds are, one of them will end up doing all of the work anyways
http://www.national.com/kbase/category/Power.html wrote: When using two LM2599 switching regulators in parallel, one LM2599 turns off completely, while the second one, driving the same load came up but at a higher voltage. Is this normal?
This is perfectly normal. The regulator with the lower output voltage will drop to 0% duty cycle in trying to pull down the output voltage of the higher regulator. This is due to voltage feedback control. The only way to parallel two voltage controlled switchers is with ballasting resistors (and possibly or''ing diodes) to allow their outputs to be of different voltages, just as you would with two linear regulators.
With special parts it may work as you intend:
http://machinedesign.com/article/circui ... plies-0110" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

A better option would be to buy a regulator specced for twice of what you need and use that
Who is more foolish? The fool, or the fool who follows him

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:07 pm

Bump. Whats up? Why no progress?

Also, I'm curious how much a slim PS2 board can be trimmed. I want to put a PS2 inside of a PSP case.

:P
Image Image

Maize

Post by Maize » Wed Sep 28, 2011 9:37 pm

So there is no progress then D=?

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Thu Sep 29, 2011 1:54 pm

hello everyone, sorry for the lack of progress since June :O

as usual the reason is ive just been very busy of late, and havnt been able to find any time to work on my device. i have thought about it a fair bit though, and i have been thinking about re-incorporating the dvd drive into the portable, any thoughts on that??