~{The Kingdom PS2}~ revival thread and worklog

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

AngelArm1110
Re: ~{The Kingdom PS2}~ revival thread and worklog

Post by AngelArm1110 » Wed May 11, 2011 1:44 am

im starting to think i should just stop posting my progress, because no one seems to care :cry: ....... but no matter, i have just finished putting the voltage regulator in the case, although it was quite a challenge to find a place for it, but finally i came up with the idea to mount it on a shelf right above the air intake grill:

Image Image

i have noticed though, that this particular regulator does get rather warm, and im brainstorming ways to help cool it, so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, as always :)

PS. the intake grill came from an N64 :P

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Wed May 11, 2011 11:22 am

AngelArm1110 wrote:im starting to think i should just stop posting my progress, because no one seems to care
Personally I enjoy reading your updates. I haven't commented cause I really know nothing about PS2 portablizing and have nothing to add, but your progress looks great!

As far as the regulator goes. Just stick a small quiet fan near it to draw away the heat OR if you have a low profile copper or aluminum heat-sink available cut a small piece off and mount it on top of the coil using some thermal epoxy. That'll help dissipate the heat a bit.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Thu May 12, 2011 12:11 am

Ashen wrote:As far as the regulator goes. Just stick a small quiet fan near it to draw away the heat OR if you have a low profile copper or aluminum heat-sink available cut a small piece off and mount it on top of the coil using some thermal epoxy. That'll help dissipate the heat a bit.
hmmm, the heat sink idea sounds promising, i'll definitely have to see what i can come up with on that, and if all else fails, i can just look around for a different regulator, one capable of handling a heavier load, so it wont have to work as hard.

in the mean time though, heres a small update:

im working on wiring the screen to accept RGB (it does), and this is the technique ive extrapolated to do so:

as you can see im using IDE ribbon cable (love that stuff), and as you can also see, i have the power lines connected, and coated in epoxy (they sell it at the dollar store ffs)

i actually have one question though, to anyone who might know such things; i need to know if the second 7805 regulator on the psone screen can be used to do the LED mod, not the one in the picture, but the one up near the audio circuit, i just need to know, because obviously i plan to do it, so i need to decide where to power the LEDs from

thanks ya'll :D

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Fri May 13, 2011 12:24 am

Ashen wrote:Personally I enjoy reading your updates. I haven't commented cause I really know nothing about PS2 portablizing and have nothing to add, but your progress looks great!
this
Image Image

unicycler17
PSN Username:unicycler17

Post by unicycler17 » Fri May 13, 2011 6:43 pm

I agree with Ashen and Tchay. And I'm excited that this is being made, because the PS2 is my favorite console and I think the world needs more ps2p's

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Fri May 13, 2011 11:43 pm

lol, thanks everyone, its nice to know my im not just posting in a dead forum :lol:

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Sun May 15, 2011 11:49 pm

so as i mentioned earlier in this thread, ive been looking for ways to help cool the regulator at the top of my portable, because it gets very hot, and eventually shuts itself down when it gets to a certain point. it was suggested that i try to implement some sort of fan to help draw some of the hot air away from it, and i found this:

http://www.sunon.com/pro2_page.php?pkid=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

the only thing is, i cant figure out for the life of me how to order one from them :oops: .....

so if anyone could help me with that, or even tell me of any resellers you are aware of, that would help me tremendously!!!

losrex
PSN Username:stking4

Post by losrex » Mon May 16, 2011 12:41 pm

digikey has them

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Mon May 16, 2011 3:55 pm

losrex wrote:digikey has them
thankyou @losrex, i always forget to check there, lol

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Thu May 19, 2011 2:16 am

Its Update Time!!!

ive been spending time recently working on the controller portion of the portable, and once again, ive taken a page from hailrazer's book (that guy is just full of good ideas), and anyway, i sorta came up with a way to mount the controller PCB to the circuit board of the screen, and still have it be removable:

i mounted a small screw post to the board, which i got from butchering one of the metal fan and heat sink toppers found in all PS2 consoles

as you can see the PCB seats nicely above the board, and is quite secure. and dont worry all of you who might worry about clearance, it fits very well, i checked :wink:

neverused

Post by neverused » Thu May 19, 2011 7:43 am

Nicely executed, that was a great idea.

peppie132
PSN Username:peppie132

Post by peppie132 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 6:23 am

any progress on this project?

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 1:49 pm

peppie132 wrote:any progress on this project?
no, not a whole lot of progress has been made lately, i actually packed the project up for a few days, because i had to move, but actually the day i did move, my headers came in the mail (great timing :lol: ) so once i got all settled in i took them out and connected some to the A/V wires:

thats the female head

and the male head :lol:

they work tremendously well, and the best part is that the are break away, meaning that i can make custom plugs for virtually anything that needs to be connected. i got them here in case anyone is interested:
http://www.robotshop.com/ca/home.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PS. that clear substance you see on the headers is not hot glue, its that epoxy i mentioned before, man i could not live without that stuff :mrgreen:

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Thu Jun 02, 2011 7:52 pm

OMG that is perfect!!!!!!

I have really been interested in making custom plugs. It is probably the best little trick a portablizer could do.

Things break SO often that having these plugs will make repairs SO much easier.

thx for the link. I will definitely be using these in current/future portables :mrgreen:

EDIT: oh and, how come you used epoxy instead of hot glue? Just curious. I've never used epoxy before...
Image Image

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Thu Jun 02, 2011 8:19 pm

Tchay wrote:
EDIT: oh and, how come you used epoxy instead of hot glue? Just curious. I've never used epoxy before...
Hot glue is TERRIBLE in a portable. The inside of a portable will hit over 130 degrees easily and the hot glue will soften and things will come apart.

Epoxy won't :)
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance