PS2 Laptop

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

SplatPop2
PS2 Laptop

Post by SplatPop2 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:05 pm

Hi, I'm trying to build a PS2 laptop (that is to say a PS2 Slim portable with a laptop form factor), but I'm a beginner when it comes to modding, so I need a few tips.

First off, I've been looking around a bit for a screen at about 8-9 inches with widescreen support and a headphone jack, and so far the best I've found is this. Thoughts? Suggestions?

Batteries and voltages is something that has really gotten me confused, though. I'm surprised at the absense of a beginner's guide on this site, as this is one area that I really can't seem to understand anything at all. Appearently the PS2 Slim uses 8.5V, but that's about all I've managed to figure out.

I'm sorry if I'm coming off as a total noob (largely due to the fact that I am one), but some help would be greatly appreciated.

hidiosoman

Re: PS2 Laptop

Post by hidiosoman » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:01 pm

I would suggest 7" screens. Way cheaper.
http://cgi.ebay.com/7-TFT-LCD-Headrest- ... 137wt_1141" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

unicycler17
PSN Username:unicycler17

Post by unicycler17 » Fri Apr 22, 2011 2:04 pm

There's really not much about the ps2 on BH or modretro, but check out Bacteria's site. They've got some good info. (no guides tho)

http://moddedbybacteria.freeforums.org/ ... t1595.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MrAfterFX has posted somewhere that he would be happy to help with any ps2 related questions, so you might want to talk to him.

SplatPop2

Post by SplatPop2 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 2:07 am

hidiosoman wrote:I would suggest 7" screens. Way cheaper.
http://cgi.ebay.com/7-TFT-LCD-Headrest- ... 137wt_1141" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Well, I really can't seem to find any 7'' ones that fit my needs, and I prefer the larger screen, really, but thanks for the help, anyways!
unicycler17 wrote:There's really not much about the ps2 on BH or modretro, but check out Bacteria's site. They've got some good info. (no guides tho)

http://moddedbybacteria.freeforums.org/ ... t1595.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

MrAfterFX has posted somewhere that he would be happy to help with any ps2 related questions, so you might want to talk to him.
Thanks a bunch! :D

Now, seeing as it will make things a lot easier, I think I'll just use an external battery pack to power the PS2 (this?), and let the screen run off its own batteries. Granted, that means I'll end up with having to charge two AC plugs every time, but as this is my first real modding project I don't really want things to get too complicated.

unicycler17

Post by unicycler17 » Sat Apr 23, 2011 4:46 pm

SplatPop2 wrote: Now, seeing as it will make things a lot easier, I think I'll just use an external battery pack to power the PS2 .
No. Don't do that. That will make it uglier, bulkier, and much less awesome. I would be willing to bet the screen will run off of voltage lower than 12v, Or, you could just power the ps2 off the screen's batteries, so you could use the same batteries for both. Honestly, using two separate batteries would be absurd.

SplatPop2

Post by SplatPop2 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 2:25 am

unicycler17 wrote:
SplatPop2 wrote: Now, seeing as it will make things a lot easier, I think I'll just use an external battery pack to power the PS2 .
No. Don't do that. That will make it uglier, bulkier, and much less awesome. I would be willing to bet the screen will run off of voltage lower than 12v, Or, you could just power the ps2 off the screen's batteries, so you could use the same batteries for both. Honestly, using two separate batteries would be absurd.
Well, if you insist...

I've done a bit of research, and it looks like the screen can in fact be powered by a 12v source, so I might as well power them both with the Power Gorilla, heck, I might even add a second one if I need some extra playing time (and if I have the money...).

EDIT: Can I power the PS2 off of 12v or do I need a regulator?

unicycler17

Post by unicycler17 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 6:31 am

The screen said it can run off a 12v car adapter. That doesn't mean the internal batteries are 12v. So you could probably use 7.4 volt batteries for both systems.

SplatPop2

Post by SplatPop2 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 10:37 am

unicycler17 wrote:The screen said it can run off a 12v car adapter. That doesn't mean the internal batteries are 12v. So you could probably use 7.4 volt batteries for both systems.
I know, but I have no intention of removing the screen's internal batteries. See, if I always have the screen's charger plugged into the PG, it should (in theory) run until its batteries are dry, and then start drawing power from the PG. And then I'll use the PG's charger to charge the entire system.

Like I said - I don't want things to get too complicated; this is going to be as basic a portable as they come.

hidiosoman

Post by hidiosoman » Sun Apr 24, 2011 12:57 pm

PS2 needs 8.4v

Screen could probably do with less than 12v.

What I would do is buy an 11.1v battery and get an 8.4v regulator for the PS2 and wire the screen directly to the batteries.

unicycler17

Post by unicycler17 » Sun Apr 24, 2011 5:00 pm

SplatPop2 wrote: Like I said - I don't want things to get too complicated; this is going to be as basic a portable as they come.
How basic? Like you're glueing the screen to the ps2 and thats it? Cuz if you're actually making a laptop, ur not gonna want lots of wires and battery packs strewn around

humakabula1
360 GamerTag:H1writer

Post by humakabula1 » Thu Apr 28, 2011 3:39 am

might be a little late but, there are 7-8" screens that have been made for the ps2.
here is my one:
from memory its logitech.
Wedgix (custom linux distro): 20% complete

SplatPop2

Post by SplatPop2 » Sat Apr 30, 2011 3:31 am

unicycler17 wrote:
SplatPop2 wrote: Like I said - I don't want things to get too complicated; this is going to be as basic a portable as they come.
How basic? Like you're glueing the screen to the ps2 and thats it? Cuz if you're actually making a laptop, ur not gonna want lots of wires and battery packs strewn around
Sorry for the late reply, but I've been trying a few illustrator programs and haven't really gotten the hang of any of them yet, so I'll just describe what I have in mind. It will be in a clamshell/laptop case, with the top part housing the screen, and the bottom part the Powergorilla and the PS2 itself (which I at the moment have no plans of even opening up), as well as holes for the controller, USB and Memory Card ports, and the disc drive.

Was that a good explanation? Is there something that sounds like it couldn't work in my plans? Please let me know - I appreciate your help.
humakabula1 wrote:might be a little late but, there are 7-8" screens that have been made for the ps2.
here is my one:
[img*]http://i931.photobucket.com/albums/ad15 ... CN1400.jpg[/img]
from memory its logitech.
That sounds mildly interesting. What would the benefits be if I were to use a screen designed for use with a PS2 versus a regular screen?

humakabula1

Post by humakabula1 » Wed May 04, 2011 5:56 am

It has the av and power ports built in, you just attach the screen to the co sole and it's all wired up.
Pricing might turn you off, the only place I have seen that still sell these is one eBay seller, who sells them in packages, ps2/ screen/ couple of games for about $120

SplatPop2

Post by SplatPop2 » Sun May 08, 2011 2:38 am

humakabula1 wrote:It has the av and power ports built in, you just attach the screen to the co sole and it's all wired up.
Pricing might turn you off, the only place I have seen that still sell these is one eBay seller, who sells them in packages, ps2/ screen/ couple of games for about $120
Well, I live in Europe, and I doubt weather I'm able to find a screen package with a PAL PS2. That, coupled with the price (and the fact that I couldn't find one when I searched) I think I'll stick to the screen I had initially planned on. Thanks either way.

But my main question remains - can I power the PS2 using the Power Gorilla?

humakabula1

Post by humakabula1 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 5:16 pm

that package was PAL.
found it on ebay au