~Gamecube Fusion(s)~ Worklog

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

hackmodford
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Re: ~Gamecube Fusion(s)~ Worklog

Post by hackmodford » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:25 am

That's ok... I just bought mine. Cost $45 free shipping :D

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:00 am

Little update on the status of my first 2 portables. Sadly it looks like I'm not going to have enough room in my cases to incorporate some of the features I wanted and were requested. Namely 4 player support and T.V. out support. There is just not enough space. I'll have to refine my design for the next batch if I want to incorporate these features.

Anyway. I'm still churning away on the cases. The good thing is I am starting to see the light at the end of the tunnel now. I have all of the front holes cut for the buttons and the L/R buttons epoxied in. I only have the double Z buttons, Speaker Holes, SD card slots and a few other little things to cut yet and I can start Painting. Yay!

I've also been forced to go with a 7.4v battery setup using Zenlocs custom reg because of space constraints. This isn't really a bad thing but will result in roughly 2hrs battery life. 1 hour less than I was shooting for.

On to some new pics!

Both cases mostly cut:
A little closer up view of button retainers and L button setup:
Sizing things up (stuffs just kind of laying in there for the pic):
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:03 am

Beautiful 8)

The controller you're using... is that the wii gamecube controller thing?
I'm especially interested in the shoulder buttons you're using.

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:21 am

Yep, Its a classic controller knockoff made for the GC. I got mine on ebay for like 5$ each. Zenloc says they are also available on dealxtreme for like 10$. Everything is very tiny, even the actual controller board. No rumble though. so you'll have to butcher a real GC controller if u want rumble. :/

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:22 am

Okay... that's cool. Can you give me the dimensions of the shoulder button mechanism? I'm trying desperatley to find the right battery setup that will fit in my case design.

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 10:58 am

With all the components hooked up and slimmed like I have them its roughly 5cm tall by 3.5cm wide by 2cm thick. The actual L/R button that sticks out is only 1cm thick

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:16 am

Sure you didn't mean MM instead of CM
That seems very LARGE you're saying that the button is wider than an index finger? The mechanism is taller than 1/2"?

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:41 am

unicycler17
PSN Username:unicycler17

Post by unicycler17 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 8:17 pm

http://cgi.ebay.com/Classic-Controller- ... 483ff08684" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

is that the type of thing you are using? If so, do the triggers work alright? Can it be plugged into a gamecube and work properly?

In the "sizing things up" picture, is that blue circuit board for the screen?

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Apr 08, 2011 9:39 pm

Yep, blue board is the lcd driver board. Those are the exact controllers I orderded. Same seller I think too. Shoulder buttons have a bit shorter range than a standard controller on the linear potentiometer. But overall they work just fine. The controller is also made for the GC.

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Sat Apr 09, 2011 2:09 am

Ashen wrote:Yep, blue board is the lcd driver board. Those are the exact controllers I orderded. Same seller I think too. Shoulder buttons have a bit shorter range than a standard controller on the linear potentiometer. But overall they work just fine. The controller is also made for the GC.
Wait, I thought those controllers werent compatible with the gamecube? So L, R, and the Z button will all work?? Is the controller board inside of the wii classic pretty small? I just noticed that you were using the stock controller board in your pictures.
Image Image

unicycler17
PSN Username:unicycler17

Post by unicycler17 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 6:31 am

Ashen wrote:Yep, blue board is the lcd driver board. Those are the exact controllers I orderded. Same seller I think too. Shoulder buttons have a bit shorter range than a standard controller on the linear potentiometer. But overall they work just fine. The controller is also made for the GC.
Wow awesome I'll have to buy some. Having a shorter range doesn't really matter as long as it's recognized.
Tchay wrote: Wait, I thought those controllers werent compatible with the gamecube? So L, R, and the Z button will all work?? Is the controller board inside of the wii classic pretty small? I just noticed that you were using the stock controller board in your pictures.
I think the nintendo controller board was just in there as a size comparison. And apparently the knockoff classics work on gamecube. In the ebay description, it says they plug into the ports on top of the wii, which is the gamecube port. And zenloc was using one of these in a couple of his vids.

Ashen wrote: Sadly it looks like I'm not going to have enough room in my cases to incorporate some of the features I wanted and were requested. Namely 4 player support and T.V. out support. There is just not enough space.
If you used a breakout box wouldn't there be enough room for 4 controllers?

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:15 am

Yep, those knockoff classics are made for the GC. The board inside is Very small. It can be cut down to roughly a 2"x1" rectangle. No rumble though, which is why you see the normal GC controller board in that pic. L/R and the double Z buttons all work fine :)

I guess i could use a breakout box. We'll see.

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:23 am

Ashen wrote:Yep, those knockoff classics are made for the GC. The board inside is Very small. It can be cut down to roughly a 2"x1" rectangle. No rumble though, which is why you see the normal GC controller board in that pic. L/R and the double Z buttons all work fine :)

I guess i could use a breakout box. We'll see.

:shock:

thxxxxx
Image Image

DK

Post by DK » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:41 am

Guessing you'll no longer be needing a microcon Tchay :P