Unicycler17's GCP worklog FINISHED

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Rockin Husker
360 GamerTag:RockinHusker
Re: Gamecube portable worklog

Post by Rockin Husker » Fri Apr 08, 2011 4:52 pm

Okay, I know this is late but you said you gad to buy a wiikey fusion. I was wondering what that is...?

And in the very first post, you said that you can use an SD card for the disk drive (or something like that?). How would you use a SD card? How would it work?
*enter witty phrase here*

unicycler17
PSN Username:unicycler17

Post by unicycler17 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 7:41 pm

Rockin Husker wrote:Okay, I know this is late but you said you gad to buy a wiikey fusion. I was wondering what that is...?

And in the very first post, you said that you can use an SD card for the disk drive (or something like that?). How would you use a SD card? How would it work?
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=41560" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; :D

unicycler17

Post by unicycler17 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:55 pm

I got some IDE cable from the local computer store..... It was free. Thx for the tip hackmodford.

I put some plastic and electric tape on my modded heatsink so that the airflow would be directed across the heatsink.

The on-off switch I put in is huge, and it was the smallest they had at radioshack. And I bought a two way toggle a while ago to toggle between battery power and wall power. That switch is also massive.

If I leave the power switch as it is in the top case plate, I will have to offset the motherboard inside the case, because the switch sticks into the case so far.

Can anyone provide links to smaller two way toggle and power switches? Thanks in advance.

And if I do get smaller switches, could I fill in the hole I cut for the current power switch using a peice of scrap plastic and JB weld, then sanding until it's flush?

hackmodford
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hackmodford » Sat Apr 09, 2011 10:56 pm

You cab use a dpdt switch, a switching headphone Jack, and a mono headphone Jack to make a circuit that runs on batteries weaken on, runs wallpower if you plug it in, and only charges when turned off...

Sent from my HTC Hero CDMA using Tapatalk

unicycler17

Post by unicycler17 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 8:58 pm

I ordered:
an 8 gb sd card
a third party controller
2 third party classic controllers
16 momentary switches (z and start buttons?)
a 256 mb memory card
a wiikey fusion clone
NHD-FFC36 connector thing

Some of the stuff is from hong kong, so I guess I'll have to wait a few weeks before I can make much more progress. :(

The Wiikey fusion clone was only 30 bucks, free shipping, but I really don't know if it'll work. If it doesn't, I suppose I can sell it to one of my friends who has a wii, then buy a real one. Hopefully won't need to do that tho.

I'm really pumped about the classic controllers. Apparently they work perfectly on gamecube, have a tiny circuit board, and tiny triggers. I bought the other controller before I found out about the classic controllers.... maybe I'll use it, because it's buttons and analogues are more gamecube-ish. My plan for the controls is to cut the controller board in half, and relocate each side of it to either side of the case, where it will be mounted into peices of the controller case that have been frankencased into the ZN45.

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:04 am

Why would you get a clone? Cheaper? How would I tell if I got a clone?

Sent from my HTC Hero CDMA using Tapatalk

unicycler17

Post by unicycler17 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:29 am

I bought a clone because it was cheaper.

If you ordered from one of these official distributors, then it isn't a clone unless it was marked as one:
http://www.wiikey.com/en/buy-it/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:40 am

Eeek !
http://www.consolesource.com/ecomm/cata ... -2999.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's where I got it, they claim they're an official source and they say it's an official one... hope it's okay :?

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Mon Apr 11, 2011 10:40 am

Eeek !
http://www.consolesource.com/ecomm/cata ... -2999.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's where I got it, they claim they're an official source and they say it's an official one... hope it's okay :?

Rockin Husker

Post by Rockin Husker » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:22 am

Im sorry, but I am kinda slow sometimes. :P I dont know what to look at when i click on the link so I still dont know what a Wiikey fusion is. lol Do i really need one to build a gcp?

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:32 am

A wiikey fusion will replace the disk drive and make it thinner.

So no you don't need it if you want to use a disk drive.

TheSavage80
360 GamerTag:TheSavage80

Post by TheSavage80 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:07 pm

Did you use a smooth and recessed or flush and textured zn 45 case?

Rockin Husker

Post by Rockin Husker » Mon Apr 11, 2011 4:06 pm

Ahh ok Thanks hackmodford. :) I cant wait to get enough money to actually make a gcp!! :D

unicycler17

Post by unicycler17 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:19 pm

TheSavage80 wrote:Did you use a smooth and recessed or flush and textured zn 45 case?
Flush and textured

unicycler17

Post by unicycler17 » Sat Apr 16, 2011 12:31 pm

drilled some really crappy vent holes in each of the panels.

I got my memory card, and I tried to hardwire it, but the gamecube won't register it! It says the object in slot a cannot be used. any suggestions? I added a ground cable from the bottom of the board, but that didn't help.

I found an old gameboy advance, and I was wondering if I could use the powerswitch, headphone jack, and audio amp from it..... If I can ever get it open with those pesky tri wing screws