GC Portable : Worklogs - Small Update 2/25

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Aspect Eleven
GC Portable : Worklogs - Small Update 2/25

Post by Aspect Eleven » Sat Feb 19, 2011 9:15 am

Hello, all! I am officially working on my first GCp. After 4 SNESp I decided to work on the Gamecube!

I actually am working on two kinda at the same time. One is going to use the original GC disc drive, but the other I'm trying to do research on the untouchable smaller disc drive (not just using the WII drive). Good luck, I know :P

Currently, I have the electronics all working for one portable, with the TI switching regulators. Unfortunately, I no longer have the screen I was using, since I put it in my last SNESp :P

Taking apart the second GC (not that it matters which one, it's the same every time, pretty much)

Working on the case for the the first portable. I am using the same case I had for my latest SNES (http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=40758)

It's slow progress, as I am trying to focus more on the alternate disc drive, but I'll post as I get more done.
Last edited by Aspect Eleven on Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Life of Brian

Re: GC Portable : Worklogs

Post by Life of Brian » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:57 am

You're off to a good start with a nice case design. Looks like it will be pretty comfortable to hold with the controls where they are. What total thickness are you shooting for?
dragonhead wrote:sweet. ive spent a third of my life on benheck!

Aspect Eleven

Post by Aspect Eleven » Thu Feb 24, 2011 1:27 pm

I would like it to be 1.5" - 2" I am not entirely sure. To be honest, I haven't measured it all out, for all I know, it is that thin as it is :) But, since the drive by itself is like 1.25" I don't think I'll be hitting my 1.5" mark.

[Edit] After quick measurement, I think the best I can do is just under 2.5" [/Edit]

Aspect Eleven

Post by Aspect Eleven » Fri Feb 25, 2011 12:20 pm

Although I am sure others have done so as well, I emailed Nintendo to see if they would provide us with pinout information. No such luck.
Hello,

Thank you for taking the time to email Nintendo of America. While we would like to be able to assist you, we are not able to provide you with the information you are requesting.

Sincerely,
Sharon Matheny
So, I asked who I would have to contact that would be able/allowed to, to which they responded:
Andrew,

While I can appreciate your interest in doing this, Nintendo does not endorse or encourage any system modifications. The information that you're requesting is not information that Nintendo will provide.

Sincerely,
Nintendo of America Inc.
Shane O'Neil
So, basically, there is absolutely no way they are going to be helping us with the dilemma.

On a more positive note, I also emailed a few DVD drive companies. Two responded telling me wrong department and who to contact instead, which I still have to do. The third, though, is willing to give out the pinout information I requested, both for the IDE portion and the laser portion. I am still waiting for my drive to arrive in the mail so I can give them the S/N, but there is a glimmer of hope, perhaps :)

Ashen

Re: GC Portable : Worklogs - Small Update 2/25

Post by Ashen » Fri Feb 25, 2011 6:03 pm

What pinout are you looking for exactly? All GC pinouts are freely available in "yet another gamecube documentation" google = best friend.

The correct DVD connector pinout can be found in my thread "wii dvd drive on gamecube"
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

MrAfterFx
Portablizer
Steam ID:MrAfterFx

Post by MrAfterFx » Sat Feb 26, 2011 12:29 am

Looks very clean so far great job! I love the size and shape of the case aswell :).

Aspect Eleven

Post by Aspect Eleven » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:57 am

@Ashen: I already found your post (and other's) about the pinout info for the DVD drive board, but I was looking more for the DVD drive itself, the copper-ish color flat-wire, the part that comes off the lens. I, like many others, am looking to use a smaller dd. I don't want to run roms, nor use a Wii drive, looking more for a laptop drive or something.

@MrAfterFx: Thanks :)

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:40 am

You do realize that the Wii DD can be slimmed and made top loading right? Also they can be found on ebay for as little as $30ish. Here are some pics of a Wii drive palmertech has slimmed down for his "Wiiboy" portable Wii. Don't want to discourage you in your endeavor, just a suggestion. Good luck to ya man! Project is looking nice so far :)

Aspect Eleven

Post by Aspect Eleven » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:07 am

@Ashen: Hey, thanks, didn't see that! I checked out his Wiiboy worklog. The issue still is that I don't know how to shrink the wii dd that small and mod it to be non-slot load. (And I just thought it would be much cheaper with a laptop drive, since we can get those for like $10, and it would be just a matter of matching pins...but of course it wouldn't really be that simple :P)

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:02 pm

Its kind of a moot point now ( http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jht0PBJVTZE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ) but here are some pics of my slimmed Wii Drives with the daughterboard attached, very tiny indeed. :)

Aspect Eleven

Post by Aspect Eleven » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:51 am

What revision drive is that? d4/d3s?

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:30 am

Yep its a D4(D3S) rev drive. Slimming it is as simple as just pretty much ripping off all the slot load stuff and trimming the plastic around the laser/motor. There is a small switch on the daugterboard that needs jumped out and thats it :)