Wii DVD/Wiikey Fusion/WODE (sd/hdd loading) on the Gamecube

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

hackmodford
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Re: Wii DVD + Wiikey Fusion (sd loading) on the Gamecube

Post by hackmodford » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:02 am

I eagerly await your controller/memory card rewiring guide :D
Do you have any clues about how it's done? Are there a lot of components involved? Or is it simply finding the appropriate pins on chips? or is it just scraping the appropriate leads on the board and soldering to it?

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:56 am

zenloc wrote:Thanks hackmodford for the pic. That is indeed how I cut my board. If anybody want's to try it go ahead :P

@ Ashen pity the first revision gamecube doesn't work properly. I wonder if the wiikey team might be able to do something about it. How many gamecube portables are you going to make in your first batch? Would be nice if you could (mass) produce them.

At least that's what I'm planning to do with my gamecubepocket once it's done. Just a little tip if you are aiming for a small portable don't use the original gamecube controller. The button's are huge and so it the controller board. Either use a mini gamecube controller by bigben or a mini madcon controller.
New developments in the wiikey incompatibility. It may ONLY have to do with the gamecube IPL revision flashed to the boards (Gamecube BIOS). you can find out what IPL version you have on your board by running Swiss (Emu_kidid Homebrew app) and going to the about/info/credits screen in swiss. IPL version 1.0 seems to be incompatible right now. IPL v1.1 seems to be working. IPL v1.2+ remains untested atm.

Zen, My plan right now is to get my first two "Gamecube Fusions" built for myself and Emu_kidid. After that I will build two units almost identical in design to the first two with the 2 Wii drives I have and Sell them. After that I may "mass produce" my Gamecube Fusions for a while and see how it goes/how sales are. I will be loosing my job in the next few months due to plant closure where I work :( So I'll have a good bit of free time on my hands. My plan is to use the knockoff classic controllers with some modified analogs.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Fri Mar 18, 2011 8:09 am

LOL Bios versions :roll:
you can't flash later versions can you?

What is Swiss?

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:39 am

Nope, I think whatever IPL you have is pretty much what you're stuck with.

Swiss is the successor to SD-Boot
http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewto ... f=25&t=373" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:41 pm

Compatibility list posted. 2nd post down. http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewto ... ?f=3&t=416" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:31 am

Revised the Pinout/Pinmatch in the first post to reflect on the newly discovered SD swap trick for GC multidisc games. Updated and cleaned up the megaguide/compatibility list a bit on GC-forever. http://www.gc-forever.com/forums/viewto ... ?f=3&t=416" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Wed Mar 23, 2011 6:30 am

WODE Jukebox http://www.wodejukebox.com/home.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; is confirmed working with the GC. Wiring is the same as the Wiikey Fusion.

stuntpenguin007

Re: Wii DVD/Wiikey Fusion/WODE (sd/hdd loading) on the Gamecube

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Thu Mar 24, 2011 5:48 pm

I need to read this board more. I was all excited because I saw this on gc-forever and I was going to come here and tell you guys. Looks like this news is 2 months old :P.
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Sun Mar 27, 2011 11:51 am

Can anyone explain why you would use a wode over a wiikey fusion?

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:40 am

The WODE is supposedly 100% Wii and GC compatible. Meaning that it will play ALL GC games with no problem. There wont be compatibility issues (however small they are) like the wiikey. The WODE also supports FAT32/NTFS/EXT3 filesystems and USB/SD device loading. Which means more diverse loading options (USB sticks/HDD's) and that shrunk ISO's will work and remain at their "scrubbed" size. (shrunk ISO's work with wiikey but WBFS manager makes them 1.35gb each anyway.)

It does have its drawbacks though... The WODE will need more room because not only do you need the modchip (which is already twice the size of Wiikey) but the LCD driver board also (USB and SD ports are attached here). The Wode also requires 3.3v, 5v and 12v input just like the Wii DVD drive. As of yet no one has tested the 12v line on the wode to see if it will run on lower voltages, or if its even needed at all. The WODE is also about twice as expensive as the Wiikey fusion.

unicycler17
PSN Username:unicycler17

Post by unicycler17 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:49 am

Can I use a regular momentary switch? Is this how I would wire it?

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Sat Apr 09, 2011 7:57 am

No you need a switch where

not pressed = a,b connected
Pressed = a,c connected

So you should have three leads

Sent from my HTC Hero CDMA using Tapatalk

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:10 am

Apparently if not using a wii or gamecube drive you don't even need the 1.9v connected. So then yes you could use a momentary switch.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

unicycler17
PSN Username:unicycler17

Post by unicycler17 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:26 pm

Wired like that^?

hailrazer

Post by hailrazer » Sat Apr 09, 2011 12:56 pm

Yes apparently.
Ashen wrote:
1. 1.9v is not needed for the Wiikey mod, only for the DVD Drive. just wire that switch from pin 29(wii) to gnd.

2. Wire up a on/off switch between pin 29(wii) and pin 12(GC). This is the GC lid open/closed switch. Multidisc .iso swapping works via swapping SD cards this way (I just tested it)
But as noted it needs to be a "normally closed" tact. Most tacts and buttons are "normally opened".

You can get "normally closed" tacts at Radio Shack.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance