Wii DVD/Wiikey Fusion/WODE (sd/hdd loading) on the Gamecube

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire
Re: Wii DVD + Wiikey Fusion (sd loading) on the Gamecube

Post by hailrazer » Tue Mar 15, 2011 4:39 pm

hackmodford wrote:Then why were you testing if the gamecube can run on higher voltages?

Just to see if a slightly over juiced battery won't fry the 3V line?

I still like this idea of just using 3V to run a Gamecube :D But I still need 5V/7.5V/12V to power a screen right? I mean it seems like you would bridge the 3V line and the 5V line and just give everything 5V and go down to 1.9V.
Yes we're trying to get everything to run off a 3.7v battery.

But a 3.7v battery fully charged puts out 4.5 or so. So the test was to determine if those lines can handle that much.

And there are a lot of screens that will run off 3.7v also. :)

So Zen has found out that we CAN run a GC portable off a single 3.7v battery.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

zenloc

Post by zenloc » Tue Mar 15, 2011 5:15 pm

What hailrazer said :P
Interested in more of my projects?? Check my facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001843721188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or email me at loctronics@gmail.com with your request.

zenloc

Post by zenloc » Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:06 am

Here's the av pinout: (green is ground)

Here's a little teaser of my gamecubepocket.

Pics here: http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=2 ... af59f910d8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Vid here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4hCgen5N5j8" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As seen in the pics the cut board fits into a psp 1000 case. It also fits inside a psp 2000 case but that's too thin. The psp 1000 case might need to be a little thicker too due to the heatsink and batteries.

Note that if you cut the mobo this much you will have to rewire some small components for the controllers and memorycards. Once I get it done I will try to make a little guide. Also there are allot of components on the gamecube board which are not used I will also add that to the guide once done.
Last edited by zenloc on Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:07 am, edited 1 time in total.

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001843721188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:59 am

hey...um....I'm afraid to ask...but.....did you check to see if the memory card still works.......

please tell me it still works. this is just too cool to not work because of such a small thing. :shock:
Image Image

zenloc

Post by zenloc » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:14 am

Just rewired a memorycard and all the components needed to make it work and...... IT WORKS!!

I won't have allot of time on my hands starting tomorrow so no more crazy discoveries for now. This board is still not fully tested yet so we have to see if it actually works 100%. I removed all the components first to see if it was still working and it was. So I doubt I will have any problems getting it fully functional.

I'm gonna hardwire a wiikey fusion next and see if it boots the games properly. If all goes and everything is working properly I'm gonna try to fit it in a psp 1000 case adding just a little extra thickness though.

This would definitly KILL the original PSP in the market right now!! :twisted:

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:29 am

This is great news! But I'm curious... what screen did you use? and is it also running off 3.7V?

zenloc

Post by zenloc » Wed Mar 16, 2011 12:54 pm

Getting allot of questions about the screen. It's one from hailrazer's 3.5" comparance guide. I got it from ebay. It is indeed running off 3.4v. The lowest it can run from is 3v. It has no brightness and contrast buttons. Those that do will not run on 3.4v.

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:05 pm

I'm sorry I can't find this guide you speak of.
Could you direct me to the post please?

zenloc

Post by zenloc » Wed Mar 16, 2011 3:59 pm

http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=35263" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I used number 3. :wink:

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Wed Mar 16, 2011 4:05 pm

great work zenloc! Your cutting skills have far surpassed mine!!! :)

If ya don't mind, I will make some new cuts and try and throw a cube inside of your friendly neighborhood Gameboy Advance Case.

dangit, all these discoveries are ganna make the Ccube look like a brick. I mean, it kinda is a brick, but anyhow. (its done btw, working on video)
Image Image

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Wed Mar 16, 2011 9:10 pm

Thanks for the link

Oh and to make things easier for you. I think this is how you cut the gamecube. If I'm correct you can use my picture ;)

Sent from my HTC Hero CDMA using Tapatalk

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:15 am

Just to keep everyone in the loop, There have been some users including my self having issues with the Wiikey mod. Some people are reporting bad compatibility of games etc. I'm happy to say that these issues are NOT game compatibility related. The issues seem to be related to certain early GC motherboard revisions (these early boards may have a timing issue). Its of course all still being looked into. Below are the results that I personally have gotten with the Wiikey.

The board that is not working properly for me is a NTSC-U DOL-CPU-10 revision motherboard. This is printed on the GC motherboard underneath the heatsink. This is the GC I bought on US launch day. So it may only be very early revision boards not working. This is the same board I have been doing all my testing on. The Wii DVD drive DOES work on this board. A few other users have reported the same issues with this motherboard.

The board that I have Wiikey working on is a NTSC-U DOL-CPU-11. This is the same NTSC-U board that Zenloc was using to test the DVD Drive and the Fusion. Bearteam, a GC-Forever.com forum member is having issues with his DOL-CPU-11 NTSC-J motherboard however.

I also have a cut up NTSC-U DOL-CPU-20 motherboard. when I get some time I will also wire this board up to test. Gonna be a bit though.

Some video's of the different motherboards behavior.

DOL-CPU-11:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OU2mHNJbrCI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

DOL-CPU-10:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDUKNRxJq6U" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

As you can see the DOL-11 board works flawlessly. I can press the "eject button" whenever I want and the GC does not hang. It also loads all the games i've tossed at it so far without error.

The DOL-10 board however hangs when the "eject button" is pressed UNLESS it is pressed exactly at the right moment at GC boot. Even when done with the right timing though, the wiikey menu will load but all but a few games hang at the cube logo when the GC is rebooted by the fusion. You can see in the video that the blue LED on the fusion stays lit the whole time after reboot. The only games I got to load properly with this motherboard were Resident Evil 2 NTSC-U and Zelda Collectors Edition NTSC-U. Both of these games load flawlessly every time...
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:15 am

That's good to know. Is there any way we can tell for sure which board we're getting by looking at a model number serial number or something?

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:34 am

Not that i'm aware of... Chances are good though that you will end up with a newer revision board. If anyone finds any other revisions of MB not working properly please report back :)
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

zenloc

Post by zenloc » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:15 am

Thanks hackmodford for the pic. That is indeed how I cut my board. If anybody want's to try it go ahead :P

@ Ashen pity the first revision gamecube doesn't work properly. I wonder if the wiikey team might be able to do something about it. How many gamecube portables are you going to make in your first batch? Would be nice if you could (mass) produce them.

At least that's what I'm planning to do with my gamecubepocket once it's done. Just a little tip if you are aiming for a small portable don't use the original gamecube controller. The button's are huge and so it the controller board. Either use a mini gamecube controller by bigben or a mini madcon controller.