GAMECUBOID WORKLOG [updated:02/23/2011] NEW VIDEO!

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

0uttake
GAMECUBOID WORKLOG [updated:02/23/2011] NEW VIDEO!

Post by 0uttake » Sat Dec 18, 2010 5:41 am

Ok here it goes, I am Planning on building a portable Gamecube. I have been lurking around this forum for a while and think I am ready to step up to challenge.

Now I have seen that the GC mobo can be slimmed to around 4"x4" which is pretty small, a Sega Game Gear is 4" across the middle so a small or "smallish" GCP should be quite viable. I have studied all the GCPs on the forum and just have to say well done to all that have built/helped build one.

3D Mockup

Before I even start though I have some questions.

1. Should I run the GCp from AA batteries? (rechargable of course). 6 AA cells will get me 9v and at 2500mah per cell that's quite a capacity too no?

2. To run a screen and the GC from 9v should I use a custom regulator or a Rev C board?

3. The Panasonic Q had a different disk drive mechanism. Is it any slimmer than the GC's?. Has anyone done any testing?

4. can anyone suggest a good heatsink solution? Do I saw the fins from the stock heatsink or has anyone else found a better solution?

My first objective is to slim the GC and screen down as much as possible. After that I will model each component so I can find the best and smallest way to fit them together.

Will be after Christmas when I post my next update. Stay tuned.

01/05/2011

My progress

Things I have bought:

1. 2 cubes (for when I fry the first one)
2. A few pads (ended up with 7)
3. Tact switches http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=4196
4. A small switch http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=2476
5. A tiny potentiometer http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=6499
6. A box (Yes I have abandoned the shape at the top ^^ - I will explain soon) http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=1689
7. tiny white strip LEDs http://www.maplin.co.uk/Module.aspx?ModuleNo=218015
8. ps1 screen
9. wii classic controller
10. tools

Ok, so 'Im frankencasing this one. My original intention was to vac form a case but decided against this in the end. I did create another design >>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRJbap9SGR4
<<. but after creating the case I changed my mind as I felt it was to large.

I will upload photos asap.

Stay tuned - this GCP will be sleeeeeeek.

01/08/2011

The last few days I have been working on the controls, I want to use the a,b,x,y buttons and the analog sticks from a wii classic controller in my GCP, sounds easy in concept but everything went wrong. Firstly the pots from the gamecube controller and the wii controller were different sizes, both in value and actual size. so I swapped the wii analog pots for the gamecube controller analog pots, I had to carefully trim the pots with my "clarke rotary tool system" (I know I need a dremel). And then I used epoxy to stick them to the analog stick base. Problems arose when I managed to tear up some traces on the controller board, I managed to fix this with a little time. Then when I came to do the same with the c stick I managed to epoxy the inside of one of the pots, I didn't realise this and thought I had a bad connection or a short, spent hours on this shouting obscenities like "why the #?*%ing !@%$ is my Y axis not working! IT SHOULD BE #@!?ING WORKING", and words to similar effect. I ended up taking the whole thing back apart = [. Never mind.

Next step is to draw up a wiring diagram for the Gamecube itself. I will let you all know how that goes.

cheers.

01/11/2011

OK so I have finished one part of the wiring guide. 80% of this information has been pulled from many different sources.

The batteries I will use are 4 of these... http://www.batteryspace.com/polymerli-i ... AID=314743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

with this pcb as seen in diagram... http://www.batteryspace.com/pcbfor148vl ... AID=314743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and this charger... http://www.batteryspace.com/smartcharge ... AID=314743" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

FULL SIZE IMAGE

Gamecube portable wiring guide, with memory card slot disk drive, power, sound, and video relocation.

The next part of the wiring guide will include wiring the screen.

Once again I will try and upload pictures as soon as possible.

01/12/2011

Today I wired the Gamecube up as per my diagram and it worked fine before trimming, after trimming however all I got was fan and led working >= (. so its now time to crack open my third Gamecube.

UPDATE: Started wiring the video and sound signal outputs on the mobo, but I soon ran into a problem... I knocked a surface mount resistor of the board. For those who don't know what they look like, it's one of these...

Yup that's right... it's tiny.

Good news though, after 3 hours, 4 cups of coffee and a few tears shed I managed to somehow solder it back on. And, after a short but highly eccentric victory dance I epoxied the the devil out of it.

Now its time for bed.

01/19/2011

I wired the power up and relocated the 3.43v line, I didn't trim anything apart from the corner where the 3.43v line would usually go. I relocated the sound trace as well.

Then I turned on the Gamecube... Nothing, just the LED solemnly illuminating the pits of despair.

It turns out my diagram was wrong! (I have updated it now so it is correct). I didn't have any power going to the 3.43v section of the board. With help from Tchay I managed to fix this problem and now it works again.

PICTURE TIME!

My camera is unfixable, I need a new one. So I decided to use my Playstation eye as a webcam then use a stop motion program to produce some small, grainy and watermarked images. But hey, it's the thought that counts.

Blurry mobos!

Close up.

Front.

Back.

Side.

Top. (Bargain Hunt makes for unbeatable daytime TV)

Angle.

As you can see, my case is deep but quite small in general. It is really comfortable to hold.

Cool things the Gamecuboid will do/be/have...

1. One port for power input! no need to carry two bricks around, just one 18v dc adapter.
2. Two wireless Wavebird controller adapters INSIDE, allowing two players to play without wires.
3. Small "switchoffable" rumble motor.
4. Internal USB memory card allowing the Gamecuboid to be attached to a PC and transfer game saves.
5. two 3.5mm jack outputs, one for AV so it can be attached to a TV, and one for headphones which will automatically break sound to the internal speakers when headphones are attached.
6. Erm... oh yeah the disk drive will be internal and have a lid which will lie flush with the back of the GCB.
7. It will be glossy Wii white.

Comments welcome.

01/27/2011

Ok, so I haven't posted in a while, this is down to DC universe being highly Addictive! I have a day off work tomorrow, I intend to trim the rest of the mobo and maybe work on the screen and button placement. Will let you all know how I get on.

02/05/2011

So these past few days I have just been working on where the buttons/anolog sticks will go, I got a new camera also so I can upload pictures and videos now.

Box of stuff

Wii analog sticks with Gamecube pots attached

Relocation wires

LED Strip

Disk cover lid

Front angle

Side angle

VIDEO
Ok, so the mega blocks halo image behind the screen cover is just to get an idea of what it will look like.
vv LINK TO VIDEO vv
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xt0hCHpb1bg

I am also considering having a wii drive instead of the gamecube drive, this will free up space so long as I can slim the wii drive down. After all it only needs to accept 8cm disks, either this or wait until someone figures out how to get the sundriver working.

Please post a comment so I don't have to keep bumping, I am trying to keep this as one long post so that its easier to follow and read.

02/23/2011

So it has been a while since I updated, I have just been working on the case since I last posted so here is a link to the video of the case so far...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eCy61tzlAvk
Last edited by 0uttake on Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:07 pm, edited 23 times in total.

DK

Re: New Project: GCP

Post by DK » Sat Dec 18, 2010 9:08 am

Really nice design. One point though, why don't you put a slightly bigger screen in it?

1. aa batteries don't have the capacity. Find a good set at http://www.batteryspace.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
2.Rev C would make for a smaller portable unless you can trim a rev a/b board smaller
3.Not too sure, pm Hailraizer as I know he's got a few Panasonic q's
4.Quite a lot of people use a copper sheet over the chips that geta bit toasty. The Tchay's buildlogs to see what I mean.

0uttake

Post by 0uttake » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:21 pm

DK wrote:Really nice design. One point though, why don't you put a slightly bigger screen in it?
Thanks for your input, I could put a bigger screen in it but I was thinking in terms of power consumption a smaller one would be better, I was intending on using a PS1 screen as there are many topics on how to mod them. The PS1 screen is probably bigger in proportion to the one in my render. My second 3D mockup will be to scale.
DK wrote:1. aa batteries don't have the capacity. Find a good set at http://www.batteryspace.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Good to know. Will check out that site.
DK wrote:2.Rev C would make for a smaller portable unless you can trim a rev a/b board smaller
This is what I thought but can its on-board regulator be modded to accept lower voltages?
DK wrote:3.Not too sure, pm Hailraizer as I know he's got a few Panasonic q's
I might have to send him a friendly PM as they are expensive and I can't afford a few of them to experiment on.
DK wrote:4.Quite a lot of people use a copper sheet over the chips that geta bit toasty. The Tchay's buildlogs to see what I mean.
Nice Idea.

I appreciate your input DK. Stay tuned

DK

Post by DK » Sat Dec 18, 2010 4:37 pm

The power draw shouldn't be too much more for a bigger screen. And even so, it''ll be a much nicer viewing experience. Ask Tchay for advice on mobos, he can trim them down scarily well. Think he said you can get a rev a/b mobo trimmed smaller but you have to place the power board somewhere. Also think you can get it running on 7.2v as the 12v line is used only for sound, which runs fine at 7.2v (don't take my word for it though).

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sat Dec 18, 2010 7:48 pm

0uttake wrote:
1. Should I run the GCp from AA batteries? (rechargable of course). 6 AA cells will get me 9v and at 2500mah per cell that's quite a capacity too no?

2. To run a screen and the GC from 9v should I use a custom regulator or a Rev C board?

3. The Panasonic Q had a different disk drive mechanism. Is it any slimmer than the GC's?. Has anyone done any testing?

4. can anyone suggest a good heatsink solution? Do I saw the fins from the stock heatsink or has anyone else found a better solution?
1. No. Use Lithiums.
2. You would have to use a set of custom regulators to get the Gamecube to run on 9v. 10.2v is the lowest Gamecubes will run on otherwise. If using custom regulators you will need the Gamecube that does not have the built in power regulator.
3. No it is a lot bigger and not really compatible with a regular Gamecube.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

0uttake

Post by 0uttake » Sun Dec 19, 2010 12:52 pm

@ hailrazer.

Thanks, you have cleared many things up. much respect.

0uttake

Re: New Project: GCP [updated:01/08/2011]

Post by 0uttake » Fri Jan 07, 2011 6:39 pm

bump

0uttake

Re: GAMECUBOID WORKLOG [updated:02/23/2011] NEW VIDEO!

Post by 0uttake » Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:07 pm

Bump =/

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Thu Feb 24, 2011 11:14 pm

why are u bumping this if you have nothing new to say?

:?
Image Image

0uttake

Post by 0uttake » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:31 am

Tchay wrote:why are u bumping this if you have nothing new to say?

I am keeping all my progress in one post so its easier to read from start to finish, I bumped it on the day I uploaded a new video which (at bottom of post) which was the 23rd. I wouldn't bump it for no reason. Anyhow, when will your Ccube be ready? I am very eager to see it.

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Fri Feb 25, 2011 1:28 pm

0uttake wrote:
Tchay wrote:why are u bumping this if you have nothing new to say?

I am keeping all my progress in one post so its easier to read from start to finish, I bumped it on the day I uploaded a new video which (at bottom of post) which was the 23rd. I wouldn't bump it for no reason. Anyhow, when will your Ccube be ready? I am very eager to see it.
Oh, well then why not mention the new video instead of just "bump", so people know :) just a thought. Can't say for sure when the Ccube will be ready. It depends on my motherboard frying skills.
Image Image

Ashen

Post by Ashen » Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:31 am

Case is looking really nice!
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

hidiosoman

Post by hidiosoman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:18 pm

Your writing style is hilarious! Do you work in journalism or write books?
What screen is that?
Also, that diagram is amazing, I am definitely gonna use that and you made a lot of progress, great job!

0uttake

Post by 0uttake » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:00 pm

hidiosoman wrote:Your writing style is hilarious! Do you work in journalism or write books?
What screen is that?
Also, that diagram is amazing, I am definitely gonna use that and you made a lot of progress, great job!
Thanks hidiosoman! Unfortunately I don't work with words on a professional level (I work in retail = { ), although I have drafted a few screenplays and am co-writing a web series ATM.

The screen in the image is a "5 inch value Gamecube screen" as the website stated, Although I can assure you that the screen holds NO value at all! In fact if something could hold minus value this screen would fall nicely into said category.

So I will be using this screen... http://www.aliexpress.com/store/600281/ ... l-lcd.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's pricey but the image will be crystal clear as it accepts a vga signal = ]. Plus I ran a word search on the page and the word "value" returned zero results... RESULT!

I shall update with more pics tomorrow.

Stay tuned!

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:08 pm

0uttake wrote: It's pricey but the image will be crystal clear as it accepts a vga signal = ]. Plus I ran a word search on the page and the word "value" returned zero results... RESULT!
So you are using the Vga on the screen?
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance