Has anyone had success in trimming a PS2 Slim motherboard?

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Zeturi
PSN Username:Zeturi_
Has anyone had success in trimming a PS2 Slim motherboard?

Post by Zeturi » Thu Nov 18, 2010 12:07 am

Image belongs to Raizer04, the best PS2 motherboard pic I could find.

I'm mainly looking to trim off that little piece with the usb port, regulator, and power/reset switch.

I normally don't ask questions here anymore, but there aren't any people experienced with PS2s on modretro. :P If anyone could lend me a hand, I'd really appreciate it!
If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

blaze3927
Portablizer
360 GamerTag:notjames

Re: Has anyone had success in trimming a PS2 Slim motherboard?

Post by blaze3927 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:33 am

lol modretro

the ps2 is multi layered, definitely 3 or more layers.
anything past the ground copper surrounding is "don't trim me zone"
Australian Kaillera server
[url]hhttp://i56.tinypic.com/ncb0wi.gif[/url]

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Thu Nov 18, 2010 7:39 am

You can't do much trimming at all sad to say.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Zeturi

Post by Zeturi » Thu Nov 18, 2010 9:46 am

Yeah, I removed both usb ports already, but it's just so annoying that this tiny piece is keeping the motherboard an inch wider. :x

Thanks for the help, though!
If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

Zeturi

Post by Zeturi » Thu Nov 18, 2010 2:14 pm

I'll try to cut as much as I can... I'll be sure to let you know how it goes! :D

Odin

Post by Odin » Fri Nov 19, 2010 2:02 pm

I have a newer PS2 slim, so my motherboard looks different and is even harder to trim :S
Sorry if my descriptions sound weird at times, but English is not my first language. :/

Zeturi

Post by Zeturi » Fri Nov 19, 2010 6:38 pm

So, I tried removing all the components to see if it would boot and play disks without them.

I removed a 7805, a 100uf 10v capacitor, four resistors, and both usb ports. All of this circuitry was only used for the usb ports, and possibly for the IR sensor, but neither are needed. You can see that the 7805 was sort of just ripped off, but it makes contact to nothing except for ground now, no more voltage connections. I'll need to go get some desoldering braid so I can remove the remains.

Everything works fine without all those parts, so I'm going to trace back where the disk lid sensor attaches, as well as the power button and LED. I'll let you know how it goes! :D

Zeturi

Post by Zeturi » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:11 pm

Okay, I also did some tracing, and I now know where the power/reset tact connected. I used some wire to short the spot to ground, and it turns the system on, will reset the system, and totally shut it off when it's held for a few seconds.

I'm still working on where the lid switch leads to. Once I have that part figured out (should be done tonight, for sure) then I'll be able to chop off that tiny lil section of motherboard.

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Fri Nov 19, 2010 7:48 pm

Zeturi wrote:Okay, I also did some tracing, and I now know where the power/reset tact connected. I used some wire to short the spot to ground, and it turns the system on, will reset the system, and totally shut it off when it's held for a few seconds.

I'm still working on where the lid switch leads to. Once I have that part figured out (should be done tonight, for sure) then I'll be able to chop off that tiny lil section of motherboard.
good work Zeturi. make sure to test EVERY little thing you do. Oh and if you are serious about this slimming, I'd go and order 2 more motherboards right now. Nothings more discouraging than busting a motherboard and not being able to test a new hypothesis on a spare. Good luck :D
Image Image

Zeturi

Post by Zeturi » Sat Nov 20, 2010 2:12 pm

Tchay wrote:
Zeturi wrote:Okay, I also did some tracing, and I now know where the power/reset tact connected. I used some wire to short the spot to ground, and it turns the system on, will reset the system, and totally shut it off when it's held for a few seconds.

good work Zeturi. make sure to test EVERY little thing you do. Oh and if you are serious about this slimming, I'd go and order 2 more motherboards right now. Nothings more discouraging than busting a motherboard and not being able to test a new hypothesis on a spare. Good luck :D
Yeah, I know what you mean by having a spare motherboard. I did figure out how to turn the system on/off with a couple of pins, and I did it five or six times and it all worked great. But when I was fiddling around with the disk switch stuff, my system shut off. I haven't been able to power it on since, and the red LED doesn't turn on like it normally did when I had the power plugged in. I'm going to give it a couple of days to sleep, if it doesn't turn on then, then I'll have to label it as fried.

Problem about having spares for PS2 slims is that there are different motherboard revisions. Like today, I went out and bought a Slim 77000, just to find out that it had the larger motherboard. And since I broke the warranty seal, it's unreturnable. I guess I just need to make certain from now on that they're 79000, like my old one.

I've made some pretty good discoveries about cooling, arrangement of parts etc., but I want to wait until I can test this all on a working system before I post stuff up.

Take this as a plea, if anyone has a 79000 motherboard, I'll take it off your hands!

Zeturi

Post by Zeturi » Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:39 pm

I'm not certain based on your picture, but the two points that you discovered look to be the same as the ones I used. I traced mine further back.

Just the disk close thing I need to figure out, but my PS2 needs to wake up before I can continue.

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Thu Sep 15, 2011 4:18 pm

Bump. Zeturi. I'm kinda interested in helping with PS2 trimming. Only issue is being able to find a lot of slim PS2s for cheap. We are going to need many of them to pull this off.

check this thread: http://forums.modretro.com/viewtopic.ph ... 55#p109955" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Image Image