Xbox ram upgrade

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

21gamerguru
Xbox ram upgrade

Post by 21gamerguru » Sat Oct 30, 2010 4:10 pm

i heard this some where but don't remember. is there any way to swap out and upgrade the Xbox's ram. if you know let me know. thanks!
I'm a Gamecube master

tom61

Re: Xbox ram upgrade

Post by tom61 » Sat Oct 30, 2010 5:26 pm

Yes, it is possible. Only brings it to 128MB and requires SMT component soldering, though. Xbox-Scene should still have the guide on doing it.

21gamerguru

Post by 21gamerguru » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:49 am

Ok thanks i knew it was possible.
I'm a Gamecube master

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Sun Oct 31, 2010 1:03 pm

This isn't exactly the easiest upgrade in the world to do. It requires steady hands and a healthy supply of flux. I recommend watching some youtube vids on how to complete it as there are (i believe) 4 slots that need to be filled...

and yeah, the xbox itself will not use the extra ram, only emus and homebrew will.

and it is only available on xbox 1.0 - 1.5

21gamerguru

Post by 21gamerguru » Sun Oct 31, 2010 3:46 pm

ok thank i will look up all the videos i can find. 8)
I'm a Gamecube master

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:43 am

Harlequin wrote:This isn't exactly the easiest upgrade in the world to do. It requires steady hands and a healthy supply of flux. I recommend watching some youtube vids on how to complete it as there are (i believe) 4 slots that need to be filled...

and yeah, the xbox itself will not use the extra ram, only emus and homebrew will.

As well as running Windows / LINUX on it :wink:

tom61

Post by tom61 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:29 am

Haunted360 wrote:
Harlequin wrote:This isn't exactly the easiest upgrade in the world to do. It requires steady hands and a healthy supply of flux. I recommend watching some youtube vids on how to complete it as there are (i believe) 4 slots that need to be filled...

I thought Windows never ran directly on it, only via a Linux virtualization/PC emulator.

Anyways, if you're doing the RAM upgrade you might as well upgrade the Processor (Socket 370 Celeron or P3) as well, fairly simple compared to the RAM upgrade. IIRC, it actually has an effect on some games.

wizzard1

Post by wizzard1 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:51 am

Upgrade the processor? That's BGA last time I checked, and it's TONS OF FUN TO DO ON YOUR OWN. No, really.

Haunted360
PSN Username:Haunted360
360 GamerTag:Haunted 360

Post by Haunted360 » Fri Nov 12, 2010 4:49 pm

tom61 wrote:
Haunted360 wrote:

I thought Windows never ran directly on it, only via a Linux virtualization/PC emulator.

Anyways, if you're doing the RAM upgrade you might as well upgrade the Processor (Socket 370 Celeron or P3) as well, fairly simple compared to the RAM upgrade. IIRC, it actually has an effect on some games.
Oh, I thought it was Windows CE or Windows 98/ME than ran on it...

tom61

Post by tom61 » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:14 am

wizzard1 wrote:Upgrade the processor? That's BGA last time I checked, and it's TONS OF FUN TO DO ON YOUR OWN. No, really.
Nope, the original XBox has a socketed processor. The only soldering needed is jumping a few pins to enable higher multipliers.
Haunted360 wrote:Oh, I thought it was Windows CE or Windows 98/ME than ran on it...
There was a port of Windows CE, but it didn't do much last I checked, and there are very few x86 Windows CE binaries out there in the wild. Windows 98 was shown running on it, but that was through Bochs under Linux. The OS of the console itself is custom, even if derived from some other MS OS.

Joes2Silly

Post by Joes2Silly » Sat Nov 13, 2010 10:20 am

For most purposes, the RAM upgrade is just unnecessary, and you will hardly notice any benefit. However, there is a member on xbox-scene that sells RAM upgrade kits, or will probably sell you a moded xbox.... But I have never heard of jumping the multiplier on a xbox CPU. How does this work? I have only ever heard of desoldering the xbox CPU and replacing it with a faster 1.3 Ghz processor...

official xbox fiend

tom61

Post by tom61 » Mon Nov 15, 2010 6:50 am

Joes2Silly wrote:For most purposes, the RAM upgrade is just unnecessary, and you will hardly notice any benefit. However, there is a member on xbox-scene that sells RAM upgrade kits, or will probably sell you a moded xbox.... But I have never heard of jumping the multiplier on a xbox CPU. How does this work? I have only ever heard of desoldering the xbox CPU and replacing it with a faster 1.3 Ghz processor...
Very odd, the first page I find searching now is a weird mix of information. It goes into Slocket adapter rewiring, then to mobile versus desktop P3 sockets, to talking about some pre-modded 1.4Ghz xboxs, then into rewiring BGA... I can see why people are confused if this is the page they looked at too. I'm having difficultly finding a good page/video describing the mod right now, though.

If it is a socketed processor, like I remember, you can change the multiplier and/or FSB by connecting a few pins, either on the CPU itself(not recommended), or on the bottom of the motherboard under the socket.