Making a hand made case

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

reapr
Making a hand made case

Post by reapr » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:06 pm

What should i do to build one, and what do i need to know

also tip's would be great on what make's good cases

Jidan

Re: Making a hand made case

Post by Jidan » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:25 pm

1) Rub your hands together vigorously.
2) Chant mystic mumbo jumbo and pray really hard.
3) Spread your arms to out completely very quickly and dramatically.

If a case appeared, congratulations! It worked!

If not, repeat steps 1-3 until you have a case!

Anyway, you're gonna have to give more details.

e3c

Post by e3c » Sun Aug 01, 2010 8:51 pm

Jidan wrote:1) Rub your hands together vigorously.
2) Chant mystic mumbo jumbo and pray really hard.
3) Spread your arms to out completely very quickly and dramatically.

If a case appeared, congratulations! It worked!

If not, repeat steps 1-3 until you have a case!

Anyway, you're gonna have to give more details.
If that doesn't work you can just get mumbo jumbo to do it for you
Attachments
Banjo-Kazooie_-_Mumbo_Jumbo-468x.jpg
find the jumbo and find your destiny!!! (or of you don't find it you'll at least find your case... Maybe )
Banjo-Kazooie_-_Mumbo_Jumbo-468x.jpg (8.26KiB)Viewed 5746 times
My For Sale Thread

^ Rare Moniter, Many Consoles, And More!

reapr

Post by reapr » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:06 pm

well how else am i meant to detail it

I need to build a case that will house all my chips that i have gathered, also how do i put the chips above each other but at the same time stationary so it doesnt touch each other and burn up

and what makes a good case, comfort, the positioning of the button's i mean im new to this so i dont get how i can be any more detailed

e3c

Post by e3c » Sun Aug 01, 2010 9:23 pm

I think he means what material? do you want to vacuum form one or cnc cut it or something? What exactly are you asking?
My For Sale Thread

^ Rare Moniter, Many Consoles, And More!

reapr

Post by reapr » Mon Aug 02, 2010 9:56 am

e3c wrote:I think he means what material? do you want to vacuum form one or cnc cut it or something? What exactly are you asking?
I want to build a hand made one, I want to buy a plastic box and cut it up to a case to my liking,

but I do not know what necasarily make's a good case the aspects

the way someone holds it, the comfortness, preventing my palms from covering up the speackers and so forth

Mcdoodle

Post by Mcdoodle » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:37 am

Polycase.com is your best bet by the way you described it.
With their cases, you can either cut all the holes yourself or frankencase it. I recommend getting a ZN-40 or ZN-45 if it is your first time.
My Portables
None yet :|
Portables in Progress
NESp - 80%

reapr

Post by reapr » Mon Aug 02, 2010 10:49 pm

Mcdoodle wrote:Polycase.com is your best bet by the way you described it.
With their cases, you can either cut all the holes yourself or frankencase it. I recommend getting a ZN-40 or ZN-45 if it is your first time.

okay thanks

now how should i design the case like what the portable will look like, is it good to have the speackers on top or bottom, or have the controls on the top or button, should i have it so that the grip is underneath the portable instead of being at the side,,

i dunno it's just thoughts that is coming up

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Wed Aug 04, 2010 10:48 am

Okay Junior, you're going to have to slow this train down for a minute.

I'll break down what you are trying to do in a way that may make more sense to you. Mentally picture that you want to make a custom, high end car that is smaller than the original you are taking the parts from and looks good. Would you start by building the body for your new car and then try to figure out how to fit everything inside the body, or would you build up some of the car and get an idea for how big you want the body to be?

When we ask for things like details, here is the stuff we are looking for:

1. What exactly are you trying to make a portable out of? I am presuming a gamecube because I believe you posted somewhere else here about that, but the others here don't really want to guess.
2. What equipment do you have, and what do you need? What kind of screen are you going to use? Battery pack? Keeping the DVD drive or no? What functionality do you want to keep? Are you going to be adding anything like TV out?
3. Most importantly in relation to #2, what is your budget?
4. 2nd most important in relation to #2 is your screen already backlit? or will you be backlighting it? Do you know how to do this? have you read through the forums on how to do this and upon completion, tested to confirm that it does in fact work?
5. After you have completed the above steps to the best of your ability, make a post with a more specific title "My portable GC project" for instance. You can then keep all of your posts in one area and have a worklog of what you are doing. We can then follow that and help you out. We can help you find what is missing.

mako321

Post by mako321 » Wed Aug 04, 2010 11:25 pm

Harlequin wrote:Okay Junior, you're going to have to slow this train down for a minute.

I'll break down what you are trying to do in a way that may make more sense to you. Mentally picture that you want to make a custom, high end car that is smaller than the original you are taking the parts from and looks good. Would you start by building the body for your new car and then try to figure out how to fit everything inside the body, or would you build up some of the car and get an idea for how big you want the body to be?

1. What exactly are you trying to make a portable out of? I am presuming a gamecube because I believe you posted somewhere else here about that, but the others here don't really want to guess.
2. What equipment do you have, and what do you need? What kind of screen are you going to use? Battery pack? Keeping the DVD drive or no? What functionality do you want to keep? Are you going to be adding anything like TV out?
4. 2nd most important in relation to #2 is your screen already backlit? or will you be backlighting it? Do you know how to do this? have you read through the forums on how to do this and upon completion, tested to confirm that it does in fact work?
5. After you have completed the above steps to the best of your ability, make a post with a more specific title "My portable GC project" for instance. You can then keep all of your posts in one area and have a worklog of what you are doing. We can then follow that and help you out. We can help you find what is missing.
Lol, all lcd screens are backlit. People just sometimes prefer LEDs for light instead of CCFL whatever since it uses more power.

The Smooth

Post by The Smooth » Thu Aug 05, 2010 5:32 am

mako321 wrote:Harlequin wrote:
Okay Junior, you're going to have to slow this train down for a minute.

Lol, all lcd screens are backlit. People just sometimes prefer LEDs for light instead of CCFL whatever since it uses more power.
My gameboy begs to differ.
Let's just say my portable has got loads of win!!! *hint *hint
Transformice is so addictive!

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Fri Aug 06, 2010 10:37 am

Fair enough that most LCDs are backlit by default, but the reality is that if it is going to be a handheld that is backlit then you pretty much need to have it LED backlit unless you only want to play a game for an hour.

Anyways Reapr I wasn't trying to convince you to give up on the project, but just want you to understand that there is a ton of work that goes into doing this. Vac forming a case, or buying a pre-made one are both good ideas. CNC forming a case is probably the best, but it also costs the most, and has the added requirement of having extremely precise measurements needed before you get it built (well, I guess you could make it without the precision but it would turn out to be crap).

Review the work logs of others and you will see that most of us build by getting the parts that we need first and then look into a case. It's just easier to physically look at something and not have to mentally picture something. It's also easier to use a ruler when the object is physically there rather than theoretically. For a CNC case I would recommend using some cardboard and tape to make the demo unit for your box and then you can get measurements from that.

Anyways, I hope I didn't extinguish your excitement because that wasn't my intent at all. Everyone on this board who has built a portable has had this happen before where they want to jump ahead to case construction first, but the reality is that a case that looks cool but won't hold your battery pack becomes pretty useless. One step at a time and you can get this done.