Need help

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

reapr
Need help

Post by reapr » Tue Jul 27, 2010 10:33 am

so i took apart my gamecube last nigh and i came acroos this port, i think thats what you call it, it's right by the Analalog av out, it's called Digital av out,

anyway can someone tell me what these two are and how they work so i can figure out the difrence between them

also im lost at why i need a ground cable, yes it will fry the system, but if all the ground cable does is evenly disperse the electricity through the two wires why not just use any old wire

whats so special and spacfic about the ground wire and how exactly does it keep the voltage from becomin out of control

Bush

Re: Need help

Post by Bush » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:21 am

The digital AV port lets you display the cube in 480p, but the cables for that are very hard to come by. Don't remove that yet though; I've heard it causes issues when removed or something like that. As for ground, well, all you need to know is that everything with a ground needs to be grounded in some way or another or it will not function. I honestly don't know much about grounding, other than the fact that it cleans up signals and I think it completes circuits. The only areas I am extremely lacking in information are grounding and how circuitry works in general; IE: IC chips, CPUs, RAM; but I know their functions.

reapr

Post by reapr » Tue Jul 27, 2010 11:45 am

Bush wrote:The digital AV port lets you display the cube in 480p, but the cables for that are very hard to come by. Don't remove that yet though; I've heard it causes issues when removed or something like that. As for ground, well, all you need to know is that everything with a ground needs to be grounded in some way or another or it will not function. I honestly don't know much about grounding, other than the fact that it cleans up signals and I think it completes circuits. The only areas I am extremely lacking in information are grounding and how circuitry works in general; IE: IC chips, CPUs, RAM; but I know their functions.

so the Digital AV port lets me disply it in 480p, well what's the point in having that if i can just use the AV port to connect it to the red white and blue connectors sticking out of the tv, is there like a secon type of connector on tv's or something? and yeah i understand that ground stop the electricity from getting out of control but i don't understand how

Bush

Post by Bush » Wed Jul 28, 2010 9:43 pm

The point is you don't need the digital port. But I wouldn't cut it off yet, as I have heard doing so causes some issue, or you need to rewire a trace or something. Like I said, I don't have a complete understanding of ground either; I just know it completes circuits.

Gaara Ichimaru

Post by Gaara Ichimaru » Thu Jul 29, 2010 2:35 am

Okay, basically, Grounding is completing the circuit, a good example is a pylon, they are the massive poles all over the world which distribute electricity to peoples homes.
They usually have big signs near them saying 'DO NOT CLIMB'... For obvious reasons.

But every day you look up at them and all across the wires you see birds! Sitting on the wires!
So why is this?

It is because they are not grounded.

If someone is grounded and holding the wire, electricity leaves the body (via the earth) and this is what causes the shock.

If some one is hanging on the wire, and not grounded (standing on earth) They will not have a shock as the electricity is not leaving there body, just passing through it, to the other side.

Sorry if this does not answer the 'Grounding' query, that's just how I perceived these questions

Edit: This also applies to your Gamecube, if it has a ground wire then the electricity is being distributed, if it is not then the electricity is just in the cube...

-Gaara
Gaara Ichimaru

reapr

Post by reapr » Thu Jul 29, 2010 12:54 pm

Gaara Ichimaru wrote:Okay, basically, Grounding is completing the circuit, a good example is a pylon, they are the massive poles all over the world which distribute electricity to peoples homes.
They usually have big signs near them saying 'DO NOT CLIMB'... For obvious reasons.

But every day you look up at them and all across the wires you see birds! Sitting on the wires!
So why is this?

It is because they are not grounded.

If someone is grounded and holding the wire, electricity leaves the body (via the earth) and this is what causes the shock.

If some one is hanging on the wire, and not grounded (standing on earth) They will not have a shock as the electricity is not leaving there body, just passing through it, to the other side.

Sorry if this does not answer the 'Grounding' query, that's just how I perceived these questions

Edit: This also applies to your Gamecube, if it has a ground wire then the electricity is being distributed, if it is not then the electricity is just in the cube...

-Gaara
okay that explains it, now my only question remains is how do i know which wire to get for a ground wire how do i know much voltege has to pass through that ground wire, should it equel the voltege that is coming into the other wire that is connected to the gamecube fan, or does ground have a spacific voltege that is to it's own,

Bush

Post by Bush » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:03 pm

I think any wire will do.

Gaara Ichimaru

Post by Gaara Ichimaru » Thu Jul 29, 2010 1:22 pm

Bush wrote:I think any wire will do.
Yes, any wire will do, and it doesn't matter what the wire is like as long as it is metal and relatively think I'd say like at least 0.5cm thick.
Gaara Ichimaru

reapr

Post by reapr » Fri Jul 30, 2010 11:42 am

Gaara Ichimaru wrote:
Yes, any wire will do, and it doesn't matter what the wire is like as long as it is metal and relatively think I'd say like at least 0.5cm thick.
thank's this is the first time ive fidled with electronics so yeah

Gaara Ichimaru

Post by Gaara Ichimaru » Fri Jul 30, 2010 1:40 pm

reapr wrote:
Gaara Ichimaru wrote:
thank's this is the first time ive fidled with electronics so yeah
Hey :) I'm about to fidle with electronics for the first time too soon :) all I have is logical knowledge but no practical knowledge, hopefully we can help each other!

-Gaara
Gaara Ichimaru

The Smooth

Post by The Smooth » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:38 pm

Bush wrote:The point is you don't need the digital port. But I wouldn't cut it off yet, as I have heard doing so causes some issue, or you need to rewire a trace or something. Like I said, I don't have a complete understanding of ground either; I just know it completes circuits.
I've cut it off and it worked fine.
Let's just say my portable has got loads of win!!! *hint *hint
Transformice is so addictive!

Gaara Ichimaru

Post by Gaara Ichimaru » Fri Jul 30, 2010 3:58 pm

The Smooth wrote:
Bush wrote:The point is you don't need the digital port. But I wouldn't cut it off yet, as I have heard doing so causes some issue, or you need to rewire a trace or something. Like I said, I don't have a complete understanding of ground either; I just know it completes circuits.
Lol, they call you 'The Smooth' for a very good reason I see :lol:
Gaara Ichimaru

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Fri Jul 30, 2010 5:47 pm

Gaara Ichimaru wrote:
The Smooth wrote:
Lol, they call you 'The Smooth' for a very good reason I see :lol:
yeah, cuz hes smooth at following instructions ;)

you can cut off the digital port, just make sure to relocate the hidden sound trace. im on my phone so i cant give a link, but search around and youll find the topics that explain it. eventually im going to make a video of me slimming it down
Image Image

The Smooth

Post by The Smooth » Sat Jul 31, 2010 4:11 am

You know what Tchay, I cut it off without relocating the sound and I still had sound. Weird, huh?
Let's just say my portable has got loads of win!!! *hint *hint
Transformice is so addictive!

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Sat Jul 31, 2010 5:51 am

The Smooth wrote:You know what Tchay, I cut it off without relocating the sound and I still had sound. Weird, huh?
Me to :)
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance