PS2 Laser Replacement

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Jaruff
PSN Username:Jaruff
PS2 Laser Replacement

Post by Jaruff » Tue Feb 09, 2010 5:02 pm

I bought this PS2 the other week, it needed a new laser (CD's work, DVD's don't). Received my laser, didn't work, so I sent for a new one. This second one isn't working either but I believe it's due to the solder that is placed on these replacements for anti-static reasons.

I've used my desoldering iron to remove the solder but the laser still refuses to work. I'm thinking that solder is still touching somewhere, but I can't see it.

For anyone who has replaced one of these before, what would you suggest? Likely soldering wick, but I'll have to find some or, more likely, buy some. Or maybe I'm just very unlucky and have received two faulty lasers, I guess that's what I get for opting with the cheap, Chinese refurb's.

AngelArm1110

Re: PS2 Laser Replacement

Post by AngelArm1110 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:03 pm

if 2 lasers havnt worked for ya then id say its the ps2 mobo itself. its probably lost its dvd functionality for some reason or other, and your best bet is to order a replacement mobo, or just get another ps2 all together

Jaruff

Post by Jaruff » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:16 pm

The first laser won't read DVD's but will read CD's, these two replacement lasers won't read any type of media. I've also tried the laser from my personal PS2 Slim and it works fine. Fortunately, the motherboard isn't the problem.

The real problem is that I decided to buy a cheap replacement laser. I'm hoping that someone here has worked with one of these third-party lasers before and can give me some hints to get it working.

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Tue Feb 09, 2010 10:17 pm

where did you buy ur replacements from, what web site??

Jaruff

Post by Jaruff » Wed Feb 10, 2010 4:26 pm

eBay, it's a generic replacement laser from China.

Just like this one:

http://www.gameliquidations.com/storefr ... 466&dfid=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Remove the anti-static solder (don't even see why it's needed if it's properly packaged in ESD material, but whatever) and it should work, but I've received two and neither does. Both lasers could actually be faulty but I'm thinking that I'm probably removing the solder incorrectly or I'm not removing all of it.

AngelArm1110

Post by AngelArm1110 » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:43 pm

well then my suggestion would be try buying one from here:

http://store.richspsxparts.com/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

this place sells parts taken out of actual ps2s, much more reliable

low_budget

Post by low_budget » Sat Apr 03, 2010 11:06 pm

I've never worked on a slim, but I've found that on phat PS2s you can adjust the distance between the laser and disc via a small gear (later versions have two.) If the gap is not correct, it may read certain disc types but not others. I've never had to remove solder on any of the phat PS2 lasers I've replaced. The only way to get it correct is old fashioned trial and error.