ps2 netbook mod???

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

BomarJr
ps2 netbook mod???

Post by BomarJr » Thu Feb 04, 2010 7:14 pm

hi everyone, im pretty much brand new here on the forum, and modding as well. i just bought on ebay a ps2 slim for 15 bux (disk reader doesn't work, but i can fix that), and i thought about attempting to make a ps2 netbook. however, i really dont know how to even start and go about accomplishing this. i would like it to stay under 11" and hav a compatible hard-drive/flash memory for me to store some homebrew, and possibly a keyboard (not necessary but id like to). how would i go about accomplishing this and do things like build the case??? manymany thanks

AngelArm1110

Re: ps2 netbook mod???

Post by AngelArm1110 » Thu Feb 04, 2010 10:19 pm

depending on the model number you can install a hard drive mod, of course you would need a mod chip to access it. anyway check this out:

http://www.modchipstore.com/XCM-HD-Conn ... 16279.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or if you wanted to go a slightly more sophisticated route:

http://www.psxboy.com/889_HD-Combo-for- ... 7000X.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

iTz FiNaL

Post by iTz FiNaL » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:35 pm

Im in exactly the same position, i would like to make a small PS2 laptop, im also new and any information would be great :D

Jaruff
PSN Username:Jaruff

Post by Jaruff » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:08 am

A couple of things to consider:

- The Linux disc for PS2 regularly goes for $100+ on eBay.
- That disc comes with an outdated kernel and outdated packages which will need to be upgraded.
- I doubt that the Linux disc would work well with any of the hard drive mods available. I'm not saying that it won't, but the official kit with the supported components had its share of problems.
- Even if you find a Linux kit for sale, pay for it, and get it to install correctly, it's not going to be fast. The PS2 only has 32 megabytes of RAM, which limits what you can do.

You can read more about the Linux kit here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_for_PlayStation_2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With that being said, the keyboard idea is basically useless. There aren't a lot of games that support a keyboard / mouse for anything besides text input (if the game even supports that). I know Deus Ex and Half-Life support the keyboard and mouse and there are others, but unless you play those games religiously, it wouldn't be worth the trouble to add a keyboard or mouse.

A folding, netbook style PS2 Slim would be very cool, but you shouldn't expect it to replace a netbook, or even come close to one in regards to running applications and browsing the web.

JariV

Post by JariV » Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:24 am

Jaruff wrote:A folding, netbook style PS2 Slim would be very cool, but you shouldn't expect it to replace a netbook, or even come close to one in regards to running applications and browsing the web.
I don't think they want it to replace a netbook..
themadhacker wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:What are radio shack buttons?
buttons you buy at radioshack.

iTz FiNaL

Post by iTz FiNaL » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:50 am

JariV wrote:I don't think they want it to replace a netbook..
Correct, Im not sure about BomarJr but i would like to make a PS2 in the style and size of a netbook, maybe a bit bigger if it isn't possible to go that small.

PS i don't mean to thread jack or anything, im just interested in doing this aswell. :D

JariV

Post by JariV » Sat Feb 06, 2010 3:57 am

I think you can fit a PS2 Slimline in a 7-10" netbook. Not completely sure, but if I look at the size of one..
themadhacker wrote:

iTz FiNaL

Post by iTz FiNaL » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:02 am

JariV wrote:I think you can fit a PS2 Slimline in a 7-10" netbook. Not completely sure, but if I look at the size of one..
What about a portable dvd player?

JariV

Post by JariV » Sat Feb 06, 2010 6:15 am

A 7-11" Portable DVD player would work too.
themadhacker wrote:

BomarJr

Post by BomarJr » Sun Feb 07, 2010 12:48 am

yeah, i wasn't looking to replace a netbook but take up the style of one. still, i like the links posted for the hard-drive mod, but i still am clueless on where to go after that. but i DO have a portable dvd player around...but either way, where should i go from here? i know which HD kit to order and could a 5" old DVD player work?? i got it 5 yrs ago: http://www.ergonomicpoint.com/portable_ ... -_5830.jpg" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
and incase it doesnt, where can i find a netbook-like case?

JariV

Post by JariV » Sun Feb 07, 2010 3:03 am

I believe they got replacement housings for a lot of netbooks at dealextreme.com.
themadhacker wrote: