PS2 Diskdrive replacement(or just cablerepairment)its fixed!

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

b_w_johan
PS2 Diskdrive replacement(or just cablerepairment)its fixed!

Post by b_w_johan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:49 pm

Hi, I have absolutely no idea about a PS2, but i might be able to get one (cheap).

This is what i've heard about it, it was playing, his brother yanked the cable and the ps2 crashed to the floor, now the diskdrive doesn't open, and "the ps2 is not working".

Could it be as simple as just replacing the diskdrive? and are they easily available?

Can't give more info then what i descrived above, and i know its a little to go on.
But what i think is that the cd moved and keeps the drive from spinning or opening, but thats just me guessing.
Last edited by b_w_johan on Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.

JariV

Re: PS2 Diskdrive replacement

Post by JariV » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:00 pm

There's probarly just something stuck, as easy to fix as eating a chees sandwich wich has been cut in pieces.
themadhacker wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:What are radio shack buttons?
buttons you buy at radioshack.

b_w_johan

Post by b_w_johan » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:08 pm

Okee, well i should get it this weekend or the next (depends when he's able to drop his ps2 off).

But theres a big chance its just as easy as trying to get the diskdrive open and its back in bussiness?

JariV

Post by JariV » Fri Jan 15, 2010 1:11 pm

I think there's not a big change for that. My PS2 fell a couple o' times too, still works.
themadhacker wrote:

b_w_johan

Re: PS2 Diskdrive replacement(maybe more then just that help me)

Post by b_w_johan » Tue Jan 19, 2010 12:41 pm

So, the previous owner attempted to "fix it".

The case is damaged badly.
The system didn't reacted when i put the powercord in and switched it on.

So i opened the case, tested the (zekering ...the part that breaks before you damage the board) its still fine. the board gives an output voltage of 036V to the mainboard.

The CD-Drive is "destroyed" not just the plastic casing (they tried to get the game out, and used a hammer and a screwdriver) also the cable wich its connecting with the mainboard is bend on some places, also the cable was pulled from the connector so it was barely hanging on 1 edge.

Second i noticed the reset/eject button cable was broken?! it had a hole on it, where it was pointed on some plastic of the casing (could be default, there was some tape on it so it would stay on that pin)

So, lost all hope, or still a chance to make it run?

Thanks for your reply

JariV

Re: PS2 Diskdrive replacement(maybe more then just that help me)

Post by JariV » Wed Jan 20, 2010 10:00 am

Zekering = fuse :3

Maybe you can get it to work with new optical unit, new housing, some soldering.. But it will maybe cost the same as a PS2 from ebay or 'marktplaats' - a Dutch variant.
themadhacker wrote:

b_w_johan

Re: PS2 Diskdrive replacement(or just cablerepairment)its fixed!

Post by b_w_johan » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:30 pm

Fixed it,

The diskdrive could be replaced to make it look brandnew, but its fully functional with the old setup.

The cable from the middleplate to the reset/ejectbutton was damaged on 2 points, it was screwed in between the case, so it was broken there. Also the previous owner thought it would be handy to cut of the endpart of that same cable so the attachment "pins" on the cable where removed, we restored those, and we bridged the gap in the cable and the system booted up.

I've almost threw it away Thank god my dad came up with the idea to check if the reset/ejectbutton was actually connected.

Topic can be closed... but its a suggestion to check if nothing works, if the eject/reset kable in intact!