what should I do with the orginal xbox?

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

brandonk318
PSN Username:brandonk318
what should I do with the orginal xbox?

Post by brandonk318 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:10 am

I got a xbox from a customer that no longer wanted it and he left it at the store. My boss wanted me to do something with it(trash it or just get it out of the store). What should I do with it? Any ideas? I know it needs the dvd drive either replaced or fixed because the tray sticks. Other than that it works.

weaver

Re: what should I do with the orginal xbox?

Post by weaver » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:23 am

Mod it so you can play games of the HDD so you don't need a new disc drive. Then make it into a laptop.

brandonk318

Post by brandonk318 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 10:40 am

weaver wrote:Mod it so you can play games of the HDD so you don't need a new disc drive. Then make it into a laptop.
I understand I should gooogle this but I am work at the moment. Any good sites for reference?

DK

Post by DK » Sat Jan 09, 2010 12:31 pm

http://www.xboxscene.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Sat Jan 09, 2010 1:35 pm

It should still read games with the sticky drive. Mine only ejects about half the time, but reads like a champ. There is a little hole under the tray for manual ejecting with a paper clip that should work.
That problem has been more or less solved since I modded it, put an 80GB in it, and ripped all my games to it. Softmodding is pretty easy and gives you almost everything a modchip would. TSOP flashing is just as good as a modchip, but without needing a modchip. There are many threads just on here that discuss the various mods.

Joes2Silly

Post by Joes2Silly » Sat Jan 09, 2010 7:55 pm

The problem with the sticky drive is the drive belt. It's a really cheap fix considering how great samsung drives are. What has become really popular in the xbox 1 scene is turning them into smaller, slim consoles by removing the DVD drive and swaping in a micro PSU. Other than that I guess you could make a portable out of it :|

official xbox fiend

ttsgeb
360 GamerTag:ttsgeb
Steam ID:ttsgeb

Post by ttsgeb » Sat Jan 09, 2010 9:01 pm

My solution for a sticky drive it make it top loading... that also cuts out a lot of bulk, so you could make it into a laptop with a top loading drive... I think you could even get it to be as small as 15 inches if you work it out right...

brandonk318

Post by brandonk318 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 11:40 pm

Ok, thanks guys. I am gonna look up more about this before going any further. And I will post with what I am gonna go with.