Idea for a GCP

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

JariV
Idea for a GCP

Post by JariV » Fri Jan 01, 2010 4:13 am

Since most GCP's have a ugly bulg where the disc drive is, I had this idea:

Remove the whole optical drive unit. Mod the Gamecube. Use an SD Gecko for the games.

My question:
Is it *possible* to remove the whole optical unit, including the board. Will the GC still start? Or will it 'sense' that there is something wrong?

Tia,
Jari
themadhacker wrote:
chainfire95 wrote:What are radio shack buttons?
buttons you buy at radioshack.

JariV

Re: Idea for a GCP

Post by JariV » Sun Jan 03, 2010 7:16 am

I tried it yesterday, the GC started normal, like when you dont put a disc in it. But after a few seconds it gave an error :(
themadhacker wrote:

Jidan

Post by Jidan » Sun Jan 03, 2010 12:53 pm

JariV wrote:Or will it 'sense' that there is something wrong?
That'd be why, unfortunately :/

JariV

Post by JariV » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:50 am

Is there any way to fool the gamecube?
themadhacker wrote:

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Mon Jan 04, 2010 12:57 am

JariV wrote:Is there any way to fool the gamecube?
yes. is that method known? nope. :wink:
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Mon Jan 04, 2010 1:38 am

Not to be a downer but this idea has already been thought of (as far back as 2 years ago IIRC). Just search around the forums a bit and you will get a better idea of why SD cards have not been utilized for the Gamecube. Trust me, we all want the Gamecube to be tiny; A while back we had some innovators trying to get around the disc drive....but in the long run they gave up or put their ideas on hold.

For any newcomers that want to build a small Gamecube portable, visit this worklog:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php ... +techknott

*****There are ways to make even smaller GCPs but most methods are classified (including mine) and will remain hush hush until they are released. :wink:

Current gamecube portables to look forward to

- my second one (The Envision)
- Harshboy's first/second (I think he abandoned one a while back)
- Zenloc's 3rd one (it will be amazing, and bring tears to your eyes)
- Jidan (stick with it man)
- Shock Slayer......honestly, I have no idea. Half of his posts are not even serious so I don't really know where he's at :roll:

I probably missed some people......so my bad.

- oh and sorry for monopolizing this topic....I don't post much these days so I have to make up for that in one post 8)
Image Image

JariV

Post by JariV » Mon Jan 04, 2010 11:37 am

Btw, I already can use the SD card for backups, but when i detach the optical unit it gives an error. I think it would be easier to modifiy the software on the Gamecube so it ignores the error. If anyone has experience with Gamecube software hacking, I would love you if you would give it a try.
But I'm more hardware-hacking, so I'll stop trying than.

Thanks for all the replies!
themadhacker wrote:

Jaruff
PSN Username:Jaruff

Post by Jaruff » Mon Jan 04, 2010 5:30 pm

Instead of removing the optical drive, why not keep it connected but reduce its size? I'm not familiar with the Gamecube but I'd assume that you could at least slim the optical drive by removing unnecessary components. Mechanical parts, such as gears, could be removed and you could likely get away with removing other parts as well.

Jidan

Post by Jidan » Mon Jan 04, 2010 7:02 pm

Tchay wrote:Not to be a downer but this idea has already been thought of (as far back as 2 years ago IIRC). Just search around the forums a bit and you will get a better idea of why SD cards have not been utilized for the Gamecube. Trust me, we all want the Gamecube to be tiny; A while back we had some innovators trying to get around the disc drive....but in the long run they gave up or put their ideas on hold.

For any newcomers that want to build a small Gamecube portable, visit this worklog:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php ... +techknott

*****There are ways to make even smaller GCPs but most methods are classified (including mine) and will remain hush hush until they are released. :wink:

Current gamecube portables to look forward to

- my second one (The Envision)
- Harshboy's first/second (I think he abandoned one a while back)
- Zenloc's 3rd one (it will be amazing, and bring tears to your eyes)
- Jidan (stick with it man)
- Shock Slayer......honestly, I have no idea. Half of his posts are not even serious so I don't really know where he's at :roll:

I probably missed some people......so my bad.

- oh and sorry for monopolizing this topic....I don't post much these days so I have to make up for that in one post 8)
Oh, Tchay - the GCp will be coming AFTER an N64p - I broke the second gamecube (god knows how..) and my friend gave me all his N64 crap...and I want to play Paper Mario <.< So yeah, but a GCp is definitely in the near future. Hopefully. I think...

@Jaruff - the easiest way to get the thing small is to strategically place it in your portable so that the laser and stuff doesn't make the thickness like 3 inches. Check out Zenloc's portables and Hailrazer's NCube to see what I mean

JariV

Post by JariV » Tue Jan 05, 2010 1:44 am

Jaruff wrote:Instead of removing the optical drive, why not keep it connected but reduce its size? I'm not familiar with the Gamecube but I'd assume that you could at least slim the optical drive by removing unnecessary components. Mechanical parts, such as gears, could be removed and you could likely get away with removing other parts as well.
I was thinking about that too. I think I'm going to get rid of all the plastic, and the gear and the laser. The mobo isn't that thick :P
themadhacker wrote:

Tchay

Post by Tchay » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:00 am

JariV wrote:
Jaruff wrote:Instead of removing the optical drive, why not keep it connected but reduce its size? I'm not familiar with the Gamecube but I'd assume that you could at least slim the optical drive by removing unnecessary components. Mechanical parts, such as gears, could be removed and you could likely get away with removing other parts as well.
I was thinking about that too. I think I'm going to get rid of all the plastic, and the gear and the laser. The mobo isn't that thick :P
heatsink cough cough......but if you play your cards right, that won't be an issue....but I won't spoil the fun by explaining that one :P
Image Image

JariV

Post by JariV » Wed Jan 06, 2010 12:38 am

Well my own Gamecube portable is on hold, I want to complete the N64 first.

So when that's done I'll work on the Gamecube :P
themadhacker wrote:

Jidan

Post by Jidan » Wed Jan 06, 2010 4:51 pm

JariV wrote:Well my own Gamecube portable is on hold, I want to complete the N64 first.

So when that's done I'll work on the Gamecube :P
Join the club. Lol.

JariV

Post by JariV » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:03 am

I ripped some things off last night, gonna test it today :P
themadhacker wrote:

palmertech

Post by palmertech » Fri Jan 08, 2010 1:33 am

Wait, so it will work if you have the drive board connected? Why not just use the optical drive board and ditch the optics and mechanics, the board itself is not very big. :?

Also, anyone have a good link to a tut for running games off an SD card? I am finding a lot of really old stuff, but it is all conflicting.

Excellent