Question about the GC "open" switch...

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Jidan
Question about the GC "open" switch...

Post by Jidan » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:34 pm

How do I fool the system into thinking that the drive cover is closed so I can actually make it run games? :wtf:

Very newb still.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: Question about the GC "open" switch...

Post by hailrazer » Tue Nov 17, 2009 5:51 pm

Jidan wrote:How do I fool the system into thinking that the drive cover is closed so I can actually make it run games? :wtf:

Very newb still.
Two ways.

1, Just cut the wires before the switch and then just solder them together.

2. Remove the jack for the switch from the optical drive board and just solder those two points together.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

Jidan

Post by Jidan » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:05 pm

Any chance you could help me with that open drive thing? I've soldered the two blue wires together and plugged into the jack, but that didn't work - when I turn it on it just flashes orange (the LED) once and then stops (the fan still runs). I don't know exactly what you mean by soldering the two points together :k

Jidan

Post by Jidan » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:14 pm

EDIT: God freaking dang, I feel like an idiot...disregard all this crap, the thing should work...wow...lol...I had it sitting on the table with that other board under the motherboard not plugged in all the way.....

Jidan

Post by Jidan » Tue Nov 17, 2009 8:19 pm

And another update...it's not the plug, and it's not the bigger plug under the motherboard...what makes the light only turn on for a second? :k

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:06 pm

If it's not reading the disc you need to unplug the two ribbon cables and plug them back in making sure they are all the way in and straight.
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:29 pm

I think you might have a short somewhere. If I have mine out of the case, but still in the metal shielding, I have to make sure the shielding is lined up or it would do the same thing. Check to make sure you only got solder where you wanted it.

Jidan

Post by Jidan » Tue Nov 17, 2009 9:50 pm

Yeah, I figured it out...I feel retarded, but I had all the parts (they're still stacked on top of each other in the plugs (which I need to figure out how to rewire some)) trying to stand up on my table with crappy little stands and they were coming unplugged..I feel really stupid about it xD. The only thing I'll really be doing with this is wiring the board under the motherboard to a different spot with a different cable (because the one now is like an inch long) and trying to figure out the controller stuff I'll be having to do...and I will need to figure out where to put the fan, etc....anyway, thanks for the help and I'll make sure to remember what you guys said if I ever have any problems with this later.

NintendoRox
360 GamerTag:DragoonX6

Post by NintendoRox » Sat Jun 26, 2010 3:20 am

here is my method to "fool" the gamecube

1. go to foundmy and buy qoob replacement wires.
2. once you have them solder off the little PCB
3. solder new (possibly shorter) wires on the little PCB
4. solder a slide switch on the wires
5. connect

Jidan

Post by Jidan » Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:24 pm

First of all, this is a very old thread. Second of all, that is completely irrelevant to anything that was going on...back in November...