Xbox Mod

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

boxerorange
Xbox Mod

Post by boxerorange » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:17 am

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php? ... pic=615937

Say that one, such as myself, was interested in making an Xbox similar to this. How would you go about making the case, shinking the PSU, etc. I have a 1.0 Xbox that I'd like to strip down and mod case mod. Thinking about turning it into a Media Center. Already softmodded it to run UnleashX Dash and have XBMC as an app.

What I'd like to do:
  • Shrink the case (maybe not that much)
  • Increase the HDD space (1TB in mind currently)
  • Drop the DVD Drive, but leave it as an "attachable add-on" (if possible)
  • Add USB Ports
My biggest question right now, I guess, is: "Would I be better off making my own case (like the one above) or just using a stock one and modding that?"

argelfraster

Re: Xbox Mod

Post by argelfraster » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:24 am

-1TB is way overkill. 250GB is fine.
-He didn't shrink the PSU, he bought some a PicoPSU.
-USB ports; for what?

boxerorange

Post by boxerorange » Tue Nov 17, 2009 10:36 am

argelfraster wrote:-1TB is way overkill. 250GB is fine.
I have a 1TB drive now that is almost full of music and movies, I think that 1TB is pretty good. I keep copies of my movies and TV shows because I don't like to play the discs (I'd rather OCD about scratches, etc.)
argelfraster wrote:-He didn't shrink the PSU, he bought some a PicoPSU.
Ah, well, good to know...did he say that? I must have missed it.
argelfraster wrote:-USB ports; for what?
Attaching an iPod or Flash drive, either to copy or play movies/music. (Only really useful at a friend's house).

Knux the Fox
Steam ID:knuxthefox

Post by Knux the Fox » Wed Nov 18, 2009 4:28 am

boxerorange wrote:http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php? ... pic=615937

Say that one, such as myself, was interested in making an Xbox similar to this. How would you go about making the case, shinking the PSU, etc. I have a 1.0 Xbox that I'd like to strip down and mod case mod. Thinking about turning it into a Media Center. Already softmodded it to run UnleashX Dash and have XBMC as an app.

What I'd like to do:
  • Shrink the case (maybe not that much)
  • Increase the HDD space (1TB in mind currently)
  • Drop the DVD Drive, but leave it as an "attachable add-on" (if possible)
  • Add USB Ports
My biggest question right now, I guess, is: "Would I be better off making my own case (like the one above) or just using a stock one and modding that?"
I've been thinking for quite some time about turning mine into a portable, but I don't have the guts. What you did is the gist of what I would do. I've thought about looking into using a laptop or ipod hard drive in order to shrink it down that much more. Of course the hard drive would need to be formatted in FATX and softmodded properly before shrinking it down.

Also, I couldn't tell from your pictures. Is the network adapter still in tact? Because you'd need that to add/delete/move/change games/files/etc using an FTP connection to a computer. Also, sorry, but all my /s made me think of that old VTech interactive storybook toy where it was like "Mom ate a goofy bug in my spaghetti." And you could change a variety of words or phrases around to say something else.

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Thu Nov 19, 2009 12:12 pm

You can convert the control ports to USB fairly easily. The xbox doesn't like reading USB thumb drives that aren't in the FATX format that well. i know that some have got it to work, but I havent.

PICO PSU -> XBOX is quite easy. made even easier with this
http://diy.sickmods.net/Our_Products/AT ... nstall_It/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

they lay out your instructions too.

shrinking the case aint easy. Don't be intimidated, but you will likely need water cooling or the like. XBOX gets hot in there.

EDIT: Oh yeah and the xbox struggles with any HDD over the 500 gig mark. It throws a fit for any non IDE HDD so you are better off with a 320 gig.

hackmodford
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hackmodford » Thu Nov 19, 2009 1:22 pm

I got a Laptop IDE HDD to work. It's 120G and I got way more space than I need for games and such.