PS2 Laptop

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Boneylad
PSN Username:boneylad
PS2 Laptop

Post by Boneylad » Mon Oct 19, 2009 12:54 am

Hey again,
'Cos I'm a young modder (both in age and experience), I was discussing today at school whether I should have a battery in my PS2 laptop. So I was just wondering if it IS actually possible to use a laptop battery and wire it to your (my) PS2 Laptop (as I'm using a slim, so I'll have heaps of left over room). Also, where is a good place to buy a laptop case (whether or not it is used, it doesn't matter) or what is the average cost for a custom laptop case made from some sort of hard plastic (like the one's they use on PS2's).
Thanks, Boneylad

EDIT:
Also, while I'm at it, I have a couple (ok, more) of queries:

1: is it possible to use speakers from a laptop for a PS2 Laptop
2:does a PS2 slim have any fans/fan stock power connections
3: does the PS2 overheat easily?
4:Are heatsinks and those pipe-like things, like Ben used on his Xbox 360 Laptop, really nessecary?
-Xbox 360 Laptop Link: http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/25/how- ... op-part-2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thanks

Axaj

Re: PS2 Laptop

Post by Axaj » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:54 pm

Yes, it is possible to use a laptop battery. However, you'll need the laptop to charge it, and figuring out the pinout might be an issue.

1: Maybe, but I wouldn't count on it.
2: I believe so, but you might want to check.
3: No, not with properly placed heatsinks and fans.
4: Heatsinks are definitely necessary, and I believe those pipe-things are for water cooling (so no on that one).
haterz wrote:omg nuh-uh u liar i have a big ps1 and a small 1 and the big 1 is biger on the owtsides so its biger on the insides too cuz otherwise itd b smaler on the owtsides liar

Boneylad

Post by Boneylad » Mon Oct 19, 2009 11:11 pm

Hey, I might use a Laptop case for my Mod - so I'll probably use the charger and the battery, but I'm not sure yet.. also, how do heat sinks work - and are they very bulky, cos I'll want my Laptop to be reasonably slim (haha) and is it possible to install other heatsinks not from the PS2 (i.e. buy them from the store and put them in the laptop - and do they need power? thanks

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:21 am

Boneylad wrote:Hey, I might use a Laptop case for my Mod - so I'll probably use the charger and the battery, but I'm not sure yet.. also, how do heat sinks work - and are they very bulky, cos I'll want my Laptop to be reasonably slim (haha) and is it possible to install other heatsinks not from the PS2 (i.e. buy them from the store and put them in the laptop - and do they need power? thanks
Yes, you can get other heatsinks. The ones in the PS2 slim are pretty small. When we say heatsink we talk about the heatsink itself, the fan is considered separate in portabilizing terminology.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Post by vskid » Tue Oct 20, 2009 9:47 am

Heatsinks are just a chunk of metal that helps dissipate the heat created by whatever they're attached to. Having a fan on a heatsink reduces the size required because it moves more air past the fins.

Boneylad

Post by Boneylad » Wed Oct 21, 2009 4:40 am

Hey again, thanks for the tips. But I still have a couple of questions..

1. (this may sound basic) but can you use data to transfer ground?
2. Is it a good idea to have the power converter (the big thing in the middle of the cord, I think it's called a power converter :wink:) in the laptop case and buy an extended AC cord to use?
3. For this picture of Ben's Xbox laptop, is the Ground plug repeated after the one on the left.
Link: http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/18/how- ... op-part-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (It's after the line "We'll cover how to wire directly from here to the hard drive a little later on in this article.")

and
4. how do you connect the LCD to the PS2, (I'm using Ben's Xbox article for tips 'cos they're pretty much the same) because he doesn't mention it in the Xbox article.

Thanks, Boneylad

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Wed Oct 21, 2009 5:20 pm

Boneylad wrote:Hey again, thanks for the tips. But I still have a couple of questions..

1. (this may sound basic) but can you use data to transfer ground?
2. Is it a good idea to have the power converter (the big thing in the middle of the cord, I think it's called a power converter :wink:) in the laptop case and buy an extended AC cord to use?
3. For this picture of Ben's Xbox laptop, is the Ground plug repeated after the one on the left.
Link: http://www.engadget.com/2007/04/18/how- ... op-part-1/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; (It's after the line "We'll cover how to wire directly from here to the hard drive a little later on in this article.")

and
4. how do you connect the LCD to the PS2, (I'm using Ben's Xbox article for tips 'cos they're pretty much the same) because he doesn't mention it in the Xbox article.

Thanks, Boneylad
1. No, just no.
2. Personal preference here. Portables with batteries usually have external bricks, ones without often have internal ones.
3. What? I don't understand the question.
4. Find a pinout for the connector, figure out which connection connects to which pad on the board, then solder wires on.

Also, 360 and PS2 are WAY different. Don't use his article as a guide, you'll only frustrate yourself.

Boneylad

Post by Boneylad » Wed Oct 21, 2009 11:07 pm

Hey,
For the 3rd question (the one with the link) there are five pinouts, of which four are labelled (see below)

O O O O O (- pinouts)
+5volts Data+ Data- Ground ???

so I was just wondering what the fifth pinout is..

Boneylad