How to softmod a gamecube?

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

smitty
How to softmod a gamecube?

Post by smitty » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:46 pm

I really don't feel like buying a modchip, is there any way to softmod the Cube? I've seen stuff about an SD Media Launcher, can that do homebrew too? Also, I think my Cube's laser died, games won't usually boot anymore. Is there any way to fix it?
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

joeyjoe9876

Re: How to softmod a gamecube?

Post by joeyjoe9876 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:50 pm

really a modchip would be cheaper. there are some sites that sell them for 9$ where the SDmedia launcher will probaly cost more than that unless you have the materials to make your own SD memory card adapter and find the disc for a cheap price.
and about the laser, i can sell you an extra i have laying around if it really has died
My For Sale/Trade thread
N64p Coming Soon :D

smitty

Post by smitty » Sat Oct 10, 2009 12:58 pm

Well, how would I install a modchip? The SD thing seems pretty easy to install... :roll: And the modchips can do homebrew, right? For the laser, I'll just try keeping it in a more stable environment than it was... The room it was in didn't have any AC or heat... If it still doesn't work, I might buy your laser.
Mario wrote:Yes, I've gone to my local Wal-Mart and was amazed at their selection of resistors, inductors, and FPGA chips. :roll:

joeyjoe9876

Post by joeyjoe9876 » Sat Oct 10, 2009 1:11 pm

hte SD media launcher requires two things. the actual disc needed launch applications off your SD Gamecube Memory card and a Gamecube memory card that has an SD adapter.
Modchips are soldered either directly to the board or you could do a wired install. most of the times you have to tweak the Pot to a certain setting in order to play burnt discs. the most common ones i know of are the XenoGC, ViperGC, and the Qoob modchip.

XenoGC info: http://www.xbox-modchips.com/gc-tutoria ... review.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
ViperGC info:http://www.maxconsole.net/?mode=news&newsid=5849
Qoob Modchip info:http://gbatemp.net/index.php?showtopic=25814
My For Sale/Trade thread
N64p Coming Soon :D

smitty

Post by smitty » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:19 pm

The SD Launcher's only 20 dollars. And all the websites for those modchips are gone now.(not your links, the official websites) :| I think I'll just get the SD Launcher.

Harshboy
Portablizer

Post by Harshboy » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:38 pm

Go with the XenoGC...$9 shipped from the usual sources.

Joes2Silly

Post by Joes2Silly » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:42 pm

I have not tried a gamecube modchip, but I do have a soft-mod on my gamecube and it is a pain in the butt. I'm probably going to switch to a modchip soon :)

official xbox fiend

Crispy

Post by Crispy » Tue Oct 13, 2009 3:32 pm

You may need to change the POT settings on the DD board. I did have a .rar with a guide, but my hdd died a few months back and onyl managed to salvage what was left on my old website. Google it.

Also, XenoGC are nice and cheap and a stable drive chip, if you can get your hands on a Qoob pro they are a very very nice FW chip :)
www.DSminded.com - Mod it. Play it. Love it.

GameCube #1: Black DOL-001 Qoob Pro - 1.3c bios + SDGekko + Controller port LED's
GameCube #2: DOL-001 GCp Project victim
Xbox #1: v1.4 with DuoX chip + EvoX/XBMC dash. 40GB HDD upgrade.