GCMini Worklog...

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

zenloc
GCMini Worklog...

Post by zenloc » Thu Sep 24, 2009 9:58 am

Oke so i'm starting on my GCPMini in about a week or so. Here is a pic of what the general idea is. As you can see it looks similar to Sifu' N64 Portable but I feel there is something missing. The button placement is not set yet. This is just a mockup.

New idea's are always welcome :wink: The estimated dimensions will be 19,5 x 11,5 x 4
Last edited by zenloc on Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
Interested in more of my projects?? Check my facebook page:

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001843721188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Or email me at loctronics@gmail.com with your request.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: GCMini Worklog! Need feedback!!

Post by hailrazer » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:08 am

Usually the c-stick is closer to the buttons and the d-pad is closer to the thumbstick.

I would aslo move the c-stick a little farther out to the right.

Then you have room for the start button on the left or right side bottom, and underneath the screen the brightness/contrast buttons.

And how in the world are you going to get the Gamecube in there and the optical drive and batteries at under 1 1/2 " ????
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

argelfraster

Post by argelfraster » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:21 am

You're welcome

zenloc

Post by zenloc » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:26 pm

It will fit. Your placement on the other hand is a problem since i can't have the dpad so close. The disc drive lens will be there. But any comment on the design??

http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100001843721188" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

argelfraster

Post by argelfraster » Thu Sep 24, 2009 4:45 pm

The disc drive lens will be right under the analog stick?

dragonhead

Post by dragonhead » Thu Sep 24, 2009 5:24 pm

erg what a terrible cutout for the screen. try filing it square and make it big enough for the entire metal screen bezel to fit through. it will give you more room behind it as well.

hailrazer
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hailrazer » Thu Sep 24, 2009 8:31 pm

dragonhead wrote:erg what a terrible cutout for the screen. try filing it square and make it big enough for the entire metal screen bezel to fit through. it will give you more room behind it as well.
He said it was just a mock-up. :facepalm:
My Portable Systems:
-----Genimini---------Darth64---------Dreamtrooper--------Ncube---------Kamikazi64---N64Boy Advance

zenloc

Post by zenloc » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:01 pm

like I said it is a mock up. When design is final I will make it for real.

The disc drive lens will be between the analog and the dpad in the pic. I most likly will remove the dpad and make a switch that changes the analog into dpad (don't know if that will work... goes off investigating). And c stick will be more center and higer up like argelfraster so kindly photoshopd :D

Start button will most likly be where the dpad is now close to the screen. I'm gonna make another mockup which will be in more detail and post it when it's done.

argelfraster

Post by argelfraster » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:05 pm

You're going to have the disc drive right under your left hand? why?

zenloc

Post by zenloc » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:19 pm

The disc drive is about 3,5 cm I need it there otherwise it will get thicker. Now the case will have the lens directly behind it to make it as thin a possible. Since i'm going to make a fliptop cover for the drive that will make it about 4 cm.

when the time comes you'll understand what I mean :wink:

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Thu Sep 24, 2009 10:23 pm

zenloc wrote:The disc drive lens will be between the analog and the dpad in the pic. I most likly will remove the dpad and make a switch that changes the analog into dpad (don't know if that will work... goes off investigating).
That will work. You simply connect the pot leads to the traces on the board and hook them up to ground. You may have to play with resistor values a bit (for pulling the resistance up or down) but it is plausible. If you use a Xbox, PS2, or simply mod a GC stick to have a tact switch under it then you can do it steathily.
8)
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724

zenloc

Post by zenloc » Sat Sep 26, 2009 12:53 pm

a little update 2 new mock ups these are cleaner than the previous versions. Most likely the one without the dpad will be used. Analog stick wil act as dpad with a button pushed. Tell me what you think.

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sat Sep 26, 2009 1:57 pm

First, there's still no start button. You need one, trust me.

Second, the one with no d-pad looks REALLY asymmetrical. Put SOMETHING on the side with the stick, maybe a grille or speaker holes.

Lastly, you must be rich being able to make mockups like that. Either that or have a really cheap source of plastic.

BENFTW

Post by BENFTW » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:16 pm

XCVG wrote:you must be rich being able to make mockups like that. Either that or have a really cheap source of plastic.
Yeah.. I'm kinda wondering where all this plastic is coming from too, but it looks great so far!

zenloc

Post by zenloc » Sun Oct 11, 2009 5:17 am

I made the first mock up with left over plastic i had. The second and third are acctually the same one. Took a pic before I did the dpad. So I only used one sheet of plastic :wink:

Now back to topic:

Still waiting for all the parts but I decided to start on the psone screen. I have already made the screen the smallest their I and yet I made it even smaller check the pics!! BUT there' a catch....

I cut out the backlighting which isn't new but I also cut out the sound chip and the composite video input. What this means that you can only input rgb into the screen. But with a little rewiring you can still use the composite input.

Here I rewired the sound chip (with only 4 wires!!!) Gound / 5v / and 2 wires that go to the volume button chip

Everything still works and now I have achieved what I wanted. A psone mobo not bigger than the lcd itself :mrgreen:

I'm going to get a new camera soon and then I'll post detailed pics of this small modification