xBook Worklog (Now Powered via PicoPSU!!)

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Joes2Silly
Re: xBook Worklog (need advice please!)

Post by Joes2Silly » Mon Feb 08, 2010 4:54 pm

I noticed you don't really need the atx converter if you want to save some $$$. All you need is a regulator to step down the 5v standby (don't quote me on this!) to 3v then just wire everything else up. A quick google search should give you some schematics and such :wink:

official xbox fiend

hackmodford
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by hackmodford » Tue Feb 09, 2010 11:52 am

Joes2Silly wrote:I noticed you don't really need the atx converter if you want to save some $$$. All you need is a regulator to step down the 5v standby (don't quote me on this!) to 3v then just wire everything else up. A quick google search should give you some schematics and such :wink:
From what I've read it doesn't appear to be that simply sadly :(

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Tue Feb 09, 2010 3:49 pm

If you want to make your own PSU adapter

http://www.brandonw.net/consoles/xbox/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

has a few things listed that you may find helpfull..

I also have a link for the AV connector pinout..

http://www.gamesx.com/avpinouts/xbox.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Wed Feb 10, 2010 6:22 am

and because I care so much :)

replace the 2.5 HDD with a 1.8 HDD..

http://cgi.ebay.ca/1-8-ZIF-hard-driver- ... 3357945a18" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

seems cheap

The boys at the scene indicated that they purchase dead Zunes and plunk the HDD into the adapter and have it work. Of course the chip bios has to be set to not look for a lock on the drive... anyways, I know you are set with the 2.5 but thought you might be looking to save a little bit more space.. these things are slightly larger than compact flash, so they are tiny. Maybe fit overtop of the mobo/chip?

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:32 am

cool idea to use a Zune HDD I'll have to keep that in mind for the future. But yeah I'm sticking with the 2.5" HDD I don't want to go through the whole Hotswap nightmere again :x

@Harlequin
That's an awesome article you found there! But I'm still inclined to just buy the ATX adaptor for $15 (that's what parts would cost at radioshack anyways :roll: )
Also I like Ben's Uncle's advice "If you can buy it, dont' make it"
Make's sense to me.

Do you guys have any recommendations on wireless controllers?
Should I bother?
I figured if I go wireless controllers I could literally forget about using the DVD remote since the whole purpose of a remote is that it's wireless LOL

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:52 pm

I never found a wireless controller that I liked for the xbox. They all were a little too flakey and just didn't do a good job with a few seconds delay. I know that there are "some" out there that are supposed to be good, but I haven't encountered them. Not that I'm looking hard..

Joes2Silly

Post by Joes2Silly » Wed Feb 10, 2010 8:35 pm

Harlequin wrote:I never found a wireless controller that I liked for the xbox. They all were a little too flakey and just didn't do a good job with a few seconds delay. I know that there are "some" out there that are supposed to be good, but I haven't encountered them. Not that I'm looking hard..
The logitech ones are really good, but kind of expensive. My friend had one for a while, it was really nice :D

official xbox fiend

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Thu Feb 11, 2010 11:45 am

If there is any kind of lag that I can detect I WILL GO CRAZY.

When I play NES on my wii (via homebrew) and play SMB3 I can notice the lag and it makes me way off. But I think it comes even if I use a gamecbue controller if I remember correctly.

Was there any kind of lag with logitech controllers? I'm willing to dish out cash.

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Fri Feb 12, 2010 11:03 am

The component cable came yesterday and all I can say is wow! Does 720p only work in 16:9? If so Im going to leave it at 420p...

Plus the PowerBrick came at the same time! Now when I look at my power brick for my screen it says 4.5amp! :shock:
Do you think 6 amp will be enough to power the whole thing?

I also ordered the ATX adaptor yesterday... :mrgreen: Things are going to get real interesting soon!

I'm currently donwloading the latest build of xbmc and some of the newer skins...

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:32 pm

are you replacing the stock CPU and GPU coolers? I cannot remember. You may want to keep them passive if you are looking at 6 amps of total breathing room. Of course that could really bugger up this whole process...

I did a bit of research to save you some time and found that most hard drives (2.5 or 3.5) non SSD eat up a top of 2 amps at peak. I'm not sure about the xbox itself, the fans, or the DVD drive. That could really inhibit your "wiggle room".

I picked out a 1.8in zif SSD at random and found these numbers:

Power Consumption* Operation Mode: I<250 mA Voltage: 3.3V Sleep Mode: I<150mA Voltage: 3.3V

they mention that depending upon the model it can go higher, but it is still averaging quite a bit lower. switching to a 2.5in SSD or 1.8in zif might be an idea to lower the power consumption. Losing the DVD drive or finding a way to delay it powering on might be a plan too.

If you have money to spare, I would look into Zif too free up some more space in the case. Use that extra space to install a wireless card. Make up for the reduced storage via a network drive.

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:02 pm

No I'm not.

Are you saying that I have to conisder the HDD and DVD drive in addition to the screen and xbox? I thought the power was rated throughout on the xbox (excluding the screen ofcourse)

I'm going to get the 120watt PicoPSU that will convert the 12V DC 6 amp line to the voltages needed by the xbox. I'll just splice the 12V line from the wall brick to the screen directly.

Are you thinking 6 amps isn't enough?

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:13 am

I thought that your total power consumption couldn't exceed 6 amps which is why I was wondering about power. If you have an alternate source for the screen so that the amps aren't all shared, then I would imagine that you should be fine. I think the xbox can pull something like 4 amps.. I don't know if I actually read that or if I dreamed it.. anyways, power is going to be a bit of a premium, depending upon your xbox version. I do remember reading that 1.6 takes much more power than 1.0 - 1.5. I believe you are using something in the 1.2 -1.4 range..

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:58 am

Ideally 6 amps is all I have but I could always buy another wall adaptor with more juice...

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:10 pm

link to some pico discussion at the scene

http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=536915" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm not really sure why they were going the route they were going.. I think that they could have bought the adapter and saved some solder...

hackmodford

Post by hackmodford » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:01 pm

I've seen that. It looks like he's using an 80W pico psu. And then says that he wasn't able to power the dvd drive with it (2.5" HDD work)

What I'm wondering then is if I get the 120W pico psu can I power the DVD drive? does it run on the 12V?

Yeah they should've just bought the adaptor LOL :lol: