xbox fan problems

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

Squidlekins
xbox fan problems

Post by Squidlekins » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:13 pm

So I tried to switch out the big nasty fan in the original xbox with a smaller one, but it didn't work for some reason, even though it had the exact same plug-in as the fan already in the xbox. but then when I put the original fan back in it wouldn't work either... and without a fan the xbox heats up pretty quick-like. Is the fan on a heat sensor or should it turn on with the system?
The best Screen name is one that has no Google matches

Zeturi
PSN Username:Zeturi_

Re: xbox fan problems

Post by Zeturi » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:49 pm

No, it turns on with the system. I've been working on better cooling for my xbox, and whenever I turn my system on, it automatically kicks on.
If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

Joes2Silly

Post by Joes2Silly » Sun Aug 16, 2009 7:14 pm

Are you talking about the case fan or the smaller fan on the GPU? If you need to you could just replace the fan with a 80mm fan, some modding required though.

official xbox fiend

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Mon Aug 17, 2009 12:56 am

I'm not really sure what you could have done to wreck the fan connector. Oh and FYI, most people carve up the HDD tray and put in a bigger fan (trimmed corners) and put it at a lower speed to make it quieter. A smaller fan = less cooling + bigger noise.

If the connector is dead without a doubt, just cheat and get a (molex) to (molex and 3 pin adapter), it lacks the finite control for speed (will run max all the time which is loud), but it will ensure that your xbox is not dead. If you have a mod job done on your box, double check that the fan settings weren't turned off by swapping the fan out. Never heard of that happening before, but stranger things have happened.

As a last resort, the GPU fan on xbox 1.1 + still functions if you solder the pin head to it. please don't try putting it back together unless you are far more capable than I am with a soldering iron.

Squidlekins

Post by Squidlekins » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:14 am

I understand about the whole size to loudness ratio of fans, I still need to use small fans though, since I'm trying to slim down my xbox. thanks for all the suggestions though everyone, I'll work on it ans tell you if anything good happens.
The best Screen name is one that has no Google matches

ttsgeb
360 GamerTag:ttsgeb
Steam ID:ttsgeb

Post by ttsgeb » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:47 pm

you could just wire it up to the 12v (or 5v depending on what it's rated) line off of the power supply, you wouldn't have as much control over it, but it should work.

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Fri Aug 28, 2009 1:44 pm

sorry for the delay in the post if you are intending on sliming it down

1. picopsu + pc psu to xbox power connector converter
2. water cooling
3. 2.5 HDD with 3.5 to 2.5 power adapter
4. new case

There is someone else working on a slim in the forums, I've posted most of the info for the power connector there.