recasing an xbox

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

ascentuk
recasing an xbox

Post by ascentuk » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:32 pm

hi i just got hold of a second origonal xbox this one is chiped/moded so i belive i can do away with the dvd drive

im planing to rehouse it in a diffrent case , i think i can just squeeze it into a bt vision box without the dvd rom

i will post some photos of the proposed case tomorow

ive been a pc enginer for a lot of years and im not affraid of a soldering iron so this seems like a fun project :)

what i want to know is from the experience of other ppl who have recased an xbox, is there anything i should watch out for.

thanks in advance for any help

:)
Reality ..... It might look the same but it dont taste the same

stuntpenguin007

Re: recasing an xbox

Post by stuntpenguin007 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 12:34 pm

not something to watch out for but if you want to make it small as possible, use a laptop hard drive and a pico psu. It basically makes the psu external in a power brick.
SNESP WIP
Case - 50%
acquired parts - 90%
assembly - 0%

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:06 am

From someone who does have experience transplanting, make sure that your metal sheilding stays intact and doesn't slide around a lot. Many people have killed and xbox 1.6 by putting it into a 1.0 - 1.5 case (including me). Doesn't take a lot to resurrect it, but it is a pain.

If you go the PICO PSU route, you will want one of these

http://shop.sickmods.net/product/ATX_to ... nverter_2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Title ruins the surprise but it is an ATX -> Xbox converter, so yeah basically a 200w PICOpsu + this = no more power supply space needed. As was previously mentioned, you can make it internal or external at that point. If you are going to a much smaller case you might want to consider liquid cooling, at the very least I recommend replacing the stock fan with one that has better airflow, with a quieter sound. May as well make it quiet while you are there :)

SonyPortableizer
Portablizer

Post by SonyPortableizer » Sat Jul 25, 2009 10:26 am

2 iceberg q 4 pros, they work like magic in my xbox mi...what never mind

ascentuk

Post by ascentuk » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:59 pm

Harlequin wrote:From someone who does have experience transplanting, make sure that your metal sheilding stays intact and doesn't slide around a lot. Many people have killed and xbox 1.6 by putting it into a 1.0 - 1.5 case (including me). Doesn't take a lot to resurrect it, but it is a pain.

If you go the PICO PSU route, you will want one of these

http://shop.sickmods.net/product/ATX_to ... nverter_2/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Title ruins the surprise but it is an ATX -> Xbox converter, so yeah basically a 200w PICOpsu + this = no more power supply space needed. As was previously mentioned, you can make it internal or external at that point. If you are going to a much smaller case you might want to consider liquid cooling, at the very least I recommend replacing the stock fan with one that has better airflow, with a quieter sound. May as well make it quiet while you are there :)

Fantastic i can really do with one of them for another xbox project , this ones not tiny its a transplant into an dell optiplex case lol the XdellBox

thank you all for your replys , i will be posting my results :)
Reality ..... It might look the same but it dont taste the same

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Fri Aug 07, 2009 9:52 am

glad to help out. Looking forward to pics. If you need the pin out for the xbox video (so you can put in whatever video/surround options are available) let me know and I'll try to point you in the right direction.