Can the disk drive be removrd from the Xbox?

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

J.D
Can the disk drive be removrd from the Xbox?

Post by J.D » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:24 pm

^question^ I have a hacked Xbox with a bunch of preloaded games and emulators, so I don't need a disk drive.

vskid
Steam ID:vskid3

Re: Can the disk drive be removrd from the Xbox?

Post by vskid » Sun Jun 07, 2009 3:44 pm

You need a mod chip or flashed TSOP with a bios that supports not having the drive. I think there might also be a way to bridge some of the wires in the power cables, but I'm not sure if that was ever figured out.

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Sun Jun 07, 2009 4:10 pm

I looked into this as well. As near as I can tell, they have figured out how to put a different (such as slim laptop) drives into it, but your only options to remove it completely are to flash the TSOP or hack up the drive in question and keep the control board in it.

stevetamis

Post by stevetamis » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:46 am

So to remove the disk Follow the steps,
Make sure that you remove the clear plastic protective strip from the front of the disc tray. This protective strip can prevent the disc tray from opening.
1. Press the eject button to open the disc tray. Note The power light flashes as the tray opens.
2. Remove the disc.
3. Press the eject button to close the disc tray. Alternatively, you can gently push the disc tray to close the tray. Note The power light flashes as the tray closes.

davicoro

Post by davicoro » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:34 pm

if you have a modchip or a TSOP you can remove the dvd drive and test it...

if you have a soft mod you can reduce space by only remove all parts from the dvd-room and just place the dvd-room motherboard, just short the connectors that detect the drive as close.

Zeturi
PSN Username:Zeturi_

Post by Zeturi » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:51 pm

davicoro wrote:if you have a soft mod you can reduce space by only remove all parts from the dvd-room and just place the dvd-room motherboard, just short the connectors that detect the drive as close.
Yeah, but then you're limited to using just a 5 or 10 gb stock hard drive for space. I haven't seen any recent guides on building a bios for the tsop though. That seems to be the most difficult part of the tsop method.
If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

Joes2Silly

Post by Joes2Silly » Sat Aug 01, 2009 6:11 pm

Zeturi wrote:
davicoro wrote:if you have a soft mod you can reduce space by only remove all parts from the dvd-room and just place the dvd-room motherboard, just short the connectors that detect the drive as close.
Yeah, but then you're limited to using just a 5 or 10 gb stock hard drive for space. I haven't seen any recent guides on building a bios for the tsop though. That seems to be the most difficult part of the tsop method.
No offense Zenturi, but I don't understand what you are trying to say. If you use just the dvd board you can still upgrade your hard drive. Second, there are numerous tutorials floating around on how to flash your TSOP, and you do not need to build your own bios. Just download it from xbins.

Here are some links for flashing TSOPs
http://xbox-scene.com/articles/tsop-live-1mb.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=165336" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Here are some links for using xbins
http://www.xbox-scene.com/articles/xbins.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://forums.afterdawn.com/thread_view.cfm/368866" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

official xbox fiend

Zeturi

Post by Zeturi » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:21 pm

Joes2Silly wrote:No offense Zenturi, but I don't understand what you are trying to say. If you use just the dvd board you can still upgrade your hard drive. Second, there are numerous tutorials floating around on how to flash your TSOP, and you do not need to build your own bios. Just download it from xbins.
No, what I meant is that you have to tsop to upgrade your hard drive. I've never heard of using the dvd drive board for upgrading the hard drive. I know how to flash the tsop. :P

Please forget what I said about building the bios. The reason I said that, is because I wanted to have XBMC as my main dash, not Evox or Unleashx. But I have to mess with my bios to do that. My router is in my parents room, and they won't let me take my xbox in to connect it so I can FTP from xbins.
If you're getting 404'd when trying to use the links in stickies, try this tutorial to find that juicy info.

Joes2Silly

Post by Joes2Silly » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:25 pm

Not true my friend, you can upgrade your hard drive in a soft modded xbox as long as you have the eeprom and some way to lock the hard drive (either a hard modded xbox or xbox hdm) :wink:

official xbox fiend

Zeturi

Post by Zeturi » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:31 pm

Thats right, I forgot. :oops: My hard drive was on the compatability chart, but it only worked for the ones who chipped there xboxes. Mine didn't have the unlocking function. Okay, two times wrong, third's a charm.

Joes2Silly

Post by Joes2Silly » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:28 pm

It's all right, just trying to make sure everyone gets the right information :D

official xbox fiend