PSTwo HD Connect (or similar) - are they still around?

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

MegatronUK
Re: PSTwo HD Connect (or similar) - are they still around?

Post by MegatronUK » Sun May 17, 2009 6:19 am

Does anyone with an HD Combo know whether the small pcb with the IDE and FFC headers one would seperate from the case so that one could just use that particular part and the flexible cables (to obviously relocate inside a custom case for the portable), rather than the entire new casing and power supply etc.

Trying to weigh up whether it would be easier to get an HD Connect from modchipman.com or the HD Combo from psxboy.com. The HD Connect certainly seems like it would be the easier one to just use the cabling from.

Lord_Turkey

Post by Lord_Turkey » Sun May 17, 2009 7:46 am

Ok, Using My Phone Camera I Snapped Some Images Of My HD Combo For You. However Ive Never Uploaded Any Images Before & Am Getting Errors When Uploading The Files And As Im Using My PS3 To Get Online My Uploading Options Are Limited - Photobucket Etc Do Not Work, But Ill Percevere At A Workaround.

MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK » Sun May 17, 2009 8:11 am

That would be greatly appreciated - I'm guessing that I could get either of them to work really, but whatever takes up the least amount of room would be the best; I'm thinking about using a small aluminium CD flightcase to house this project, so there's not likely to be a massive amount of space inside either half of the case.

Lord_Turkey

Post by Lord_Turkey » Sun May 17, 2009 8:38 am

Right There You Go, Id Prefer It If Somebody Stole These Images And Uploaded Them To A More Secure Uploading Site; Two Pictures Refused To Upload; Close Up Of The IDE Pins & Close Up Of The Ribbon Cables & Screws.

Hopefully These Images Will Help People Out.

MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK » Sun May 17, 2009 11:06 am

Thanks, that doesn't look too bad. I reckon that small pcb could be removed and relocated - the flexible cables to the PS2 motherboard seem to be fairly decent length from what I've seen.

I can't see the power switch to that small board being an issue if using a 2.5" drive as it would be powered directly from the PS2 anyway (the 5v USB lines, most likely).

Cheers

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Mon May 18, 2009 11:38 am

Lord_Turkey wrote:Right There You Go, Id Prefer It If Somebody Stole These Images And Uploaded Them To A More Secure Uploading Site; Two Pictures Refused To Upload; Close Up Of The IDE Pins & Close Up Of The Ribbon Cables & Screws.

Hopefully These Images Will Help People Out.
I Would Upload It Because My Host Unfortunately Sucks Just As Bad But Those Are Nice Pictures.

Lord_Turkey

Post by Lord_Turkey » Mon May 18, 2009 4:32 pm

I got mine from PSXBOY.com so can vouch for their level of finish, other then the box being a tad frayed at the corners it all seems fine.

Just need to actually get a slim PS2 now that has the IDE connectors on it and my own PS2 laptop can progress.

MegatronUK

Post by MegatronUK » Tue May 19, 2009 3:15 am

BTW, For those who are interested, I have just received a reply from http://www.modchipman.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; stating that they do in fact have the HD Connect adapter in stock.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:17 pm

Man, I've been out of here for a LOOONG time! There are questions that need answering here..
Lord_Turkey wrote:Two things my fat PS2 does not need.
I agree. That's why I have 4 1/2 fat PS2's for home use (don't ask about the 1/2 PS2...)
This one, however, is for portable use.
Lord_Turkey wrote:As for the DVD drive. If DMS4 essentially circumvents the PS2 natural bios then I dont see once again why it shouldnt work, but you'd be losing a fair bit of functionality for little gain - the guys on the PS2 Slim Laptop thread in this section have illustrated how small the DVD drive is - you'd barely be gaining a few centimeters as its the same height as the heatsink.
I don't need or want the DVD drive in this one. Since it's for a portable, I don't want to drag around a bunch of discs with me. I also have a PSP for movie playback and PSX games, so I don't need that in this PS2 either. I can see where you're coming from, though, as I would want both of those features available at home.
MegatronUK wrote:For anyone else out there looking to use a hard drive on a slim PS2, modchipman.com appears to have the HD Connect in stock: http://www.modchipman.com/hd-connect-p-410.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Does anyone know if the PS2 will complain or act funny if the dvd drive is removed? (this would be with a modchip, such as a DMS4 installed).
Thanks for the link. I'll probably order one of those later on for my second one. As for running a PS2 without the DVD drive, mine's worked fine without, running HDLoader from FreeMCBoot (no mod chip). It also runs fine without the modem (not this one, but another). See my pics later...
MegatronUK wrote:Trying to weigh up whether it would be easier to get an HD Connect from modchipman.com or the HD Combo from psxboy.com. The HD Connect certainly seems like it would be the easier one to just use the cabling from.
HD Connect looks a bit better for this purpose, as the PCB is smaller, though the HD Combo does come with longer cables. FWIW, mine is running a 2.5" drive (40gb IBM Travelstar, 4200rpm) and is powered by 5v from the USB port, even though the drive claims to be 1000mA. When I'm done, I have an 80gb Fujitsu to use that only needs ~450mA. Check out the pics...

*edit* Resized the pictures. I was expecting them to thumbnail...
Attachments
CRW_1209.jpg
Fits where the DVD drive was quite nicely.
CRW_1209.jpg (168.64KiB)Viewed 5974 times
CRW_1206.jpg
I soldered on a power button. It goes between the third contact down on the right and ground.
CRW_1206.jpg (182.77KiB)Viewed 5974 times
CRW_1205.jpg
I'm leaving the original shielding on to protect the board, at the expense of bulk and weight.
CRW_1205.jpg (176.63KiB)Viewed 5974 times

Lord_Turkey

Post by Lord_Turkey » Wed Aug 12, 2009 6:00 am

Oohh thats looking nice, gives me a walm fuzzy feeling.

Hope it continues to go well.

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy » Wed Aug 12, 2009 10:29 am

Yeah, it's all I've got so far. Working on the screen. I've got the Sony PSX screen, of course, but I'm figuring out a better RGB solution to bypass the green tint problem, and I think I might have found something. The main video processing chip in the screen is the AN2526NFH from Panasonic. I looked up the datasheet, and the RGB pins only require a 1uf cap going in, but the PSX circuit has a bunch of other components that I'm still figuring out. Those 1uf caps are there though (labeled CV53, CV54 and CV55 for R G and B respectively), so it might just be a matter of bypassing the other circuits and going straight into those caps...

I'll keep y'all posted!

*edit*

Has anyone thought of putting a small cap/resistor/pot between the red and blue lines rather than a switch? I might try that too...

Aguiluz

Post by Aguiluz » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:04 pm

Wasn't the green tint just for movies according to the sticky??

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Fri Aug 14, 2009 12:45 pm

No, I believe it was for games too.
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724

Fluffy

Post by Fluffy » Sat Aug 15, 2009 2:50 am

Yeah, the green tint issue is with games, as far as I've seen. The screen looks great when it's first booted up, but gradually starts to get darker and slightly green. What you're probably thinking of with DVD movies is that the newer PS2's force video output to switch from RGB to component when playing a DVD.

I'll see what I can do, though. There's at least a bunch of caps, resistors, and an IC switch that the video runs through before getting to the AN2526NFH, which may conflict with whatever's on the PS2 end. I'll play more when I'm back from camping next week...

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 7:26 am

Well, if you figure it out, please let us know.
That is very valuable information!
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724