best xbox modchip?

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

samjc3
Steam ID:samjc3
best xbox modchip?

Post by samjc3 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:08 pm

i need an xbox mod chip, that supports:

-boot without disc drive

-burn games from disc drive to harddrive

-harddrive swap (high capacity)

those are the only features i need. all the other stuff is just icing on the cake.
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:
SpongeBuell wrote:As proof, I offer this picture of a monkey on my head.

thewise1
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Re: best xbox modchip?

Post by thewise1 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 4:43 pm

We're not allowed to talk about modchips here. :(
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 5:49 pm

really? it doesn't explicitly say that in the rules. it should be ok if you need it to ditch the disc drive and use a 2.5" harddrive for a Xlaptop, right?
(im not going to use it to pirate games)
AfroLH wrote:
HotDog-Cart wrote: Also, the codename stuff adds a little bit of sexyness, in my eyes.
Yeah well Alcohol adds a little bit of sexyness in my eyes, but I dont drink it all the time. :wink:

thewise1
Portablizer Extraordinaire

Post by thewise1 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 6:15 pm

Just none at all, I asked about one earlier for homebrew and an admin said we're not allowed to talk about it here. Ben doesn't like modchips being talked about on his site because it can make him partially responsible if anyone figures out how to steal games by talking about them on his site. It should probably be put in the list of forum rules. I suppose that's part of the legality rule though.
ImageImageImageImageImageImage

XCVG

Post by XCVG » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:36 pm

thewise1 wrote:We're not allowed to talk about modchips here. :(
I've seen this point been brought up a few times, and the conclusion was that we can talk about but not sell/trade/buy them. And his reason is pretty legit.

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:54 pm

Yes you can, but not for high capacity stuff because the xbox can't address that much.
BTW, you can't practically get a high capacity drive for the xbox because it uses IDE instead of SATA. 120GB you can do without even modding the OS or hardware, and it's nice enough.
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 1:32 pm

64M320N3 wrote:Yes you can, but not for high capacity stuff because the xbox can't address that much.
BTW, you can't practically get a high capacity drive for the xbox because it uses IDE instead of SATA. 120GB you can do without even modding the OS or hardware, and it's nice enough.
You can use IDE to SATA converters to use higher-capacity hard drives, and although my XBox is softmodded, it can boot into the normal XBox startup without any issues with a large hard drive.

People have put 1 TB hard drives into XBoxes...

samjc3

Post by samjc3 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:01 pm

well, i was only thinking around 80gigs. if i softmod, can i put games on the harddrive from the discdrive?
AfroLH wrote:

lifeisbetterwithketchup
Steam ID:lifeisbetterwithketchup

Post by lifeisbetterwithketchup » Mon Mar 16, 2009 5:08 pm

samjc3 wrote:well, i was only thinking around 80gigs. if i softmod, can i put games on the harddrive from the discdrive?
Yeah you can. Look up "dvd2xbox".
Rekarp wrote:
mako321 wrote:What makes you head ninja, anyways? :wink:
Cause I am Abe F#!@ing Lincoln. :mrgreen:

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Mon Mar 16, 2009 6:56 pm

Yes, you can, samjc.
In fact, you can add a 120 GB without modding it! :D
@ eagle -> I know you can get converters, but it makes it even slower than regular IDE drives, which makes me really sad. :cry: Oh well.
Also, unless you have a bagillion games I don't see why you'd need a 1 terabyte drive.
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:

eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:11 am

64M320N3 wrote:Also, unless you have a bagillion games I don't see why you'd need a 1 terabyte drive.
I completely agree. I put in a 120 GB in mine, and I would have been content with an 80 GB, but the price was about the same.

I will say, though, that the SSDs that are coming out would be great for this kind of thing (silent!). As soon as the price on them comes down, that'll be all anyone is using.

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:19 am

Since they require less power (no motor, etc.) it'll make a nice choice for in a portable, especially since nothing really moves around, so no skipping, etc.
Ya, SSD are the way of the future! (For modders, at least, as SSDs are to small for PCs; a stock PC from dell with vista has 15 GB already taken up, and if you add programs, then an SSD is really small. For gamers, it's really fast, but capacity is really an issue as well.)
Once they start getting cheaper AND hit the shelves at around 100 GB, I'm so getting one.

eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:21 am

Right?! I'll be in line too.

64M320N3

Post by 64M320N3 » Tue Mar 17, 2009 7:21 am

Yay!

Joes2Silly

Post by Joes2Silly » Tue Mar 17, 2009 9:42 pm

Okay, first off you can install hard drives as big as 1 TB into an xbox, but it is a major undertaking and a lot of people have problems with IDE to SATA adapters but I hear good things about this adapter. Second, there are really only three easy ways to run an xbox without a DVD drive: install a modchip and disable DVD check, TSOP flash your xbox (I strongly recommend this one!) and disable DVD check, or you could run a softmod and leave the DVD board plugged in without the rest of the drive to make the xbox think the drive is still connected. For any more questions, just ask the kind people at xbox scene!

official xbox fiend