Xbox Slim Worklog

Includes PS2, Xbox 1, GameCube (but not the Phantom Game Console)

Moderator:Moderators

64M320N3
Re: Xbox Slim Worklog

Post by 64M320N3 » Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:49 am

eagle5953 wrote:I've just been busy with other things.
Like what? :wink:
Hey, just keep us posted, and keep working on it. This is going to be cool when it is done.
Making stuff with my new beautiful CNC machine!
Would you like a professional looking custom case for your portable? I may be able to help you. Check out this link:
http://forums.benheck.com/viewtopic.php?f=13&t=32724

Lord_Turkey

Post by Lord_Turkey » Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:30 am

I've been wanting to do something with my Xbox for a while now as it only gets dragged out the drawer to play the occasional game that I have on the system that I dont have on other.

I wouldnt mind copying this with your premission as a slim xbox would eliminate my major gripe with the system (its massive size) and give me the freedom of back ups.

Tried to mod it in some way using a disk compiled by programs on xbox scene and booting into the Xbox's hard drive by connecting it to my computer (well laptop) and booting the laptop from the disk (something which it refused to do) leaving my own modding efforts on hiatus.

Also the death of my laptops motherboard and the lack of cash to replace it have also put a downer on any more projects but I too will be watching this one with much interest.

eagle5953
360 GamerTag:eagle5953
Steam ID:eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:27 am

Lord_Turkey wrote:I wouldnt mind copying this with your premission as a slim xbox would eliminate my major gripe with the system (its massive size) and give me the freedom of back ups.
Sure, but you really don't need my permission...
Lord_Turkey wrote:Tried to mod it in some way using a disk compiled by programs on xbox scene and booting into the Xbox's hard drive by connecting it to my computer (well laptop) and booting the laptop from the disk (something which it refused to do) leaving my own modding efforts on hiatus.
I softmodded it using the Splinter Cell exploit, which doesn't require taking the hard drive out (or even opening it up). I did need to connect my new bigger hard drive to my PC to prepare it to go in the XBox though.

Yeah, if it's on hold, you can watch here for all my mistakes to avoid. :D
That's the way to look at it.

Lord_Turkey

Post by Lord_Turkey » Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:39 am

heres hoping your mistakes are few and far between - plus people on here are some of the most helpful modders anywhere if you come into any kind of difficult.

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:00 am

lord_turkey - you shouldn't try to softmod with a laptop, it would be extremely complicated since your xbox HDD is IDE and your laptop uses the laptop IDE standard... a desktop computer (and it doesn't have to be a good one) is far superior for this effort. Anything built beyond Windows ME/2K should easily do the trick, heck even lower than that should do the trick as long as it has IDE and a CD drive. Since these were both standard by Windows 98 first edition, you should be able to find one without too much difficulty. Just set it to boot the computer from CD drive, and put in your softmod disk, when you get to the softmod screen boot your xbox, start playing the song on your HDD and pause the track, disconnect the IDE from your xbox HDD and plug the spare IDE from the computer into the xbox HDD. It helps to have the xbox HDD powered by a long splitter from the computer as well since it creates a better grounding situation. At that point your xbox HDD should be unlocked and you should be good to go with softmodding - presuming you have created your disk correctly ;)

Knocks

Post by Knocks » Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:21 pm

There's no need to lock/unlock the drive if you're going to flash the TSOP anyway. You also don't have to connect the new drive to the computer. Once the TSOP is flashed, you just burn the hdd formatting utility to a CD and boot the xbox with it.

Lord_Turkey

Post by Lord_Turkey » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:39 am

I'm thinking its best to go with a gamesave exploit...which means me buying an xbox memory card, one of the three games and transfering the data from PC to memory card (presumably needing an action replay device) - all of which I dont have :)

Trying the hotswapping method was me just trying to be cheap and while I do have another computer avaliable (my Mothers) its such an old warhorse (windows 95!) I dislike using it and she refuses to upgrade it as "its perfectly fine for what I need it for".

I'll get round to flashing my xbox at some point when I get some cash.

Dont mean to hog the thread.

eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:51 am

Lord_Turkey wrote:I'm thinking its best to go with a gamesave exploit...which means me buying an xbox memory card, one of the three games and transfering the data from PC to memory card (presumably needing an action replay device) - all of which I dont have :)
I had to go out and purchase the game too. Just make sure you don't get the 'Greatest Hits' version (or whatever they call it on XBox). You NEED the original. Memory cards are getting tougher to find, but they are dirt-cheap when you do (think I saw one for $.99 at GameStop).

I didn't use an action-replay device - I connected my controller to my PC and did it that way. I followed this how-to. Takes less than 10 minutes, and you can't screw it up. Gamespot also carries the breakaway cable, if you need another.
Lord_Turkey wrote:Trying the hotswapping method was me just trying to be cheap and while I do have another computer avaliable (my Mothers) its such an old warhorse (windows 95!) I dislike using it and she refuses to upgrade it as "its perfectly fine for what I need it for".
Sounds like my mom! I finally convinced her to upgrade up from Windows ME (which is worse than '95 in some respects). You should at least get her up to '98 - the visual differences are minimal, and the extra functionality is nice.
Lord_Turkey wrote:Dont mean to hog the thread.
Don't worry about it. You are staying on topic, and I certainly haven't been adding much as of late.

Lord_Turkey

Post by Lord_Turkey » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:01 am

Thanks for the Link as I was unaware of that little modification and it'll save me the price of an action replay or whatever.

I tend to do all my online shopping on Ebay as I find it cheaper then anywhere in my town, strange that I originally bought the Xbox for games I couldnt play on my PS2 yet never got round to buying any that can be done with the Exploit.

Have you made any progress on the slimming down?

eagle5953

Post by eagle5953 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:12 am

I've been updating the first post to reflect progress. Right now, I need to solder two sets of two points together and flash the TSOP so that the XBox doesn't freak out when there's no disk drive detected.

After that, all changes are cosmetic.

Oh, I still need to find shorter screws to hold everything together, too.

DK

Post by DK » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:52 pm

Just take a hacksaw to the old screws to shorten them :twisted:

Lord_Turkey

Post by Lord_Turkey » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:00 am

Holy crap, I've aquired money...

So I might be able to make some progress along with Eagle - 'sister slim xbox or what not'

The local market in my home town will put a modchip in my xbox for £30 ($40) and I know they guys that run the place do good work as they've previously flashed my PSP and fixed a loose power connection on my laptop.

No clue what modchip though or even if theres a choice but i'll go and have a chat with them later.

DK

Post by DK » Tue Apr 21, 2009 6:39 am

People still do that?? Which town's that, want to get my spare xbox chipped.

Lord_Turkey

Post by Lord_Turkey » Wed Apr 22, 2009 1:49 am

Lincoln, Lincolnshire, United Kingdom.

£20 for chipping Xbox's, PS2's, Gamecubes
£50 for Wii and Xbox 360

Harlequin

Post by Harlequin » Wed Apr 22, 2009 12:57 pm

Chipping is always the best way to go. I prefer it to TSOP since it adds considerable funcionality. I also prefer Hotswap to other forms of softmod because it costs $0.00. I hope that you are paying for a chip and not a HotSwap. There is a really decent guide for hotswapping as a softmod, and you should be able to do it with a win95 computer. It may be a little slow, but would probably do it. Alternatively, you could spend the $50 needed to buy a winME or 98SE or 2K computer. Would probably help make your mom's computer using a lot easier too...

In regards to game exploit, I suggest (again) hotswap, but if you really want to go the exploit route, you can use a controller or contorller cord that has been modded with a female USB head and use an older USB flash drive instead of an action replay. It's not horribly hard to do and gives you the benefit of having a 512 or so meg game save device. With that, you just need to find one of the games and load it that way. Again, the easier, cheaper option is the hotswap. If money is an issue you can get the required tools from a local hardware shop (two screw drivers rather than an allan key set) and borrow a friend's PC (this process takes a total of about 1-2 hours the first time you do it, I can do it now in about 20 - 30 minutes). Once the hotswap is done you just need to back up the old drive, and (most importantly) backup your EEPROM. Once you have your EEPROM on your computer, you can break your xbox in a dozen different hard drive related ways and still be golden.